PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Fists - The Siege of Bruj - Illustrated Narrative Book

TheAmbit
06-28-2016, 11:16 PM
"Acting on intel from the Segmentum's Inquisition, the Raven Guard 3rd company deploys a scouting party to the system of Bruj to investigate reports of a once loyal chapter, the Emerald Fists, having captured the system and enslaved the populace to their own end. What they find there spits on the friendship the 3rd Captain once thought he held with the Fists and puts both chapters into battlefield roles they were not designed for."

The story details the outcome of a narrative campaign loosely based on the Badab War Campaign between the Raven Guard and my creation, the Emerald Fists. The details and events portrayed are inspired by actual in-game events as each mission evolved based on the results of the previous (some artistic license was of course taken). The heroes and events are all original and in many cases the result of dice rolls.

Now that it's finished (it took me 3 years!) I've had it printed to a hardbound book by Blurb and it has a new home on my coffee table. Here's a few photos of the cover and some pages. Adobe inDesign was used to make the layouts and Photoshop was used for the image effects (I had to watch a lot of youtube videos to learn some tricks). I went with a sepia for the majority of the page layouts so as to not distract from the text. Little scrolls are present throughout the book with biographies of each of the major players.

It's really a culmination of the hobby for me and allowed me to combine some story writing with gaming, painting and hanging out with the people involved. Definitely need to thank my buddy Dayne for his contributions as well. I forgot to post this here having had help from a few people on this forum (in 2013 haha) I thought I should. And besides, I like sharing :)

The PDF with pictures (much cooler) is available here (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-KvgnKEUAJRMUgzUlotZTN5NmM/view?usp=sharing), be patient it's large.

Hope you like it,
TheAmbit

More at theambit.blogspot.com

grimmas
06-29-2016, 05:03 AM
Thank you very much

It looks rather good I'm looking forward to having a read.

TheAmbit
06-29-2016, 11:24 AM
Thank you very much

It looks rather good I'm looking forward to having a read.

I'm hoping the presentation overshadows the amateur writing :)

grimmas
06-30-2016, 01:44 AM
Well the presentation is nice, bit of a Forgeworld feel. I'm enjoying the writing. I've always liked campaign write ups based on game events. I rather liked when GW slipped events from Battle reports into lore.

Jmaximum
07-25-2017, 06:16 PM
Taking a guess that TheAmbit is Dan Abnett: you wrote up your own battle report AND published it as a lore book? WOW. that's an impressive undertaking. GW was cool with that? not that I'm besmirching your work. Love your books. Like, a lot. THIS looks amazing, btw. Looks like it could easily fit in with the Space Marines Battles books.

TheAmbit
10-25-2019, 10:49 PM
Taking a guess that TheAmbit is Dan Abnett: you wrote up your own battle report AND published it as a lore book? WOW. that's an impressive undertaking. GW was cool with that? not that I'm besmirching your work. Love your books. Like, a lot. THIS looks amazing, btw. Looks like it could easily fit in with the Space Marines Battles books.

Well I did email GW about it and they didn't respond, so I take it they don't care. It took a lot of work so I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Jmaximum
10-27-2019, 05:02 PM
It's probably because you're not looking to profit off the work.
They have relaxed somewhat on fan-made works lately (if you haven't seen it: STRONG recommend to watch Astartes 1-4 on YouTube. It's SO good GW tapped the guy to make an official animated movie).

And yes, I am absolutely going to read your work!

TheAmbit
10-28-2019, 03:53 PM
It's probably because you're not looking to profit off the work.
They have relaxed somewhat on fan-made works lately (if you haven't seen it: STRONG recommend to watch Astartes 1-4 on YouTube. It's SO good GW tapped the guy to make an official animated movie).

And yes, I am absolutely going to read your work!

I'll have to look into it. Can't be worse than the space marine movie.

I hope you enjoy as one of the 6 people who's probably read it haha

Jmaximum
10-31-2019, 05:40 PM
Oh I'm gonna read it, and I'm gonna like it!!!

What Space Wolf movie are you referencing/ And link, if possible?

TheAmbit
10-31-2019, 08:05 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultramarines:_A_Warhammer_40,000_Movie I don't actually remember the story, just the animation was terrible for the year it came out.

Jmaximum
11-02-2019, 10:35 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultramarines:_A_Warhammer_40,000_Movie I don't actually remember the story, just the animation was terrible for the year it came out.

My mistake, I misread your original as Space Wolf movie.

I have to admit, i OWN the Ultramarines movie lol. Hell, I think I have a copy of the really, really old live action GW put out in the late 80s/early 90s.

But there's some amazing fan stuff out there now, like the pencil-drawn Helsreach movie, and the Astartes that I mentioned before.