PDA

View Full Version : Officer of the fleet Vs Hive Commander

RocketRollRebel
05-09-2010, 11:16 PM
So I had an issue come up in a game today where I had an Officer of the fleet (minus 1 to reserves roll and option to make your opponent re-roll table edge for outflanking) and my opponent was running a Tyranid list with the Swarmlord who comes with hive commander (+1 to reserves and option to re-roll table edge for outflanking) and we couldn't figure out how our dudes effected the re-roll for table edge when outflanking. Since you can't re-roll a re-roll do the abilities just cancel each other out and just take the first roll you get for what table edge you come in on when outflanking?

Thanks!

synack
05-09-2010, 11:36 PM
So I had an issue come up in a game today where I had an Officer of the fleet (minus 1 to reserves roll and option to make your opponent re-roll table edge for outflanking) and my opponent was running a Tyranid list with the Swarmlord who comes with hive commander (+1 to reserves and option to re-roll table edge for outflanking) and we couldn't figure out how our dudes effected the re-roll for table edge when outflanking. Since you can't re-roll a re-roll do the abilities just cancel each other out and just take the first roll you get for what table edge you come in on when outflanking?

Thanks!

You can't re-roll your own re-reroll. For example, say you were running a 2 Swarmlords. You wouldn't be able to reroll your flanking roll and then reroll it again.

To speed the game up I would just say that the abilities cancel each other out and you only roll for it once and accept it.

Tynskel
05-10-2010, 01:21 AM
what happens is pretty simple. You add one, then subtract one. Then when you outflank, you roll to out-flank. a) If you like the result, your opponent may ask you to re-roll. b) If you don't like the result- you may re-roll.

AbusePuppy
05-10-2010, 11:17 AM
The two rerolls do effectively cancel each other out, because what will happen is generally you roll and get: A, something you like, so your opponent forces a reroll or B, you get something you don't like and take the reroll yourself. In either case, the other player can't force a second reroll.

However, unlike a "reroll all failed/reroll all successful" combo, either or both you have the option of not forcing a reroll. Perhaps you do not have the same opinion about which board edge is more threatening, etc; the end result is that if either of you want a reroll it will happen, but sometimes it won't. I would go ahead and just play the whole thing out, since it isn't something that will happen many times during a game.

ashnaile
05-10-2010, 07:32 PM
With the rerolling, you have no choice in the matter, and they dont cancel each other out.

Roll for board edge and immediately pick it up and reroll it again, keeping the second result.

Old_Paladin
05-10-2010, 07:44 PM
With the rerolling, you have no choice in the matter, and they dont cancel each other out.
Roll for board edge and immediately pick it up and reroll it again, keeping the second result.

IE: they cancel each other out, and you only need to make one roll!

ashnaile
05-10-2010, 09:18 PM
no, the end result is NOT the same as cancellation.

AbusePuppy
05-11-2010, 12:52 AM

Ummm.... you DO have a choice. You are not forced to reroll the board edge with the Swarmlord if you don't want to. Both you and your opponent have the option of forcing a reroll, but neither of you is required to use it.

"In addition, if any enemy units arrive using the outflank rule, you may choose to make your opponent reroll the dice used to determine which board edge these squads arrive from." (Emphasis mine.)

How is that not clear?

If you're talking about the reroll failed/reroll successful thing... rolling a die and then, regardless of the result, ignoring it and rerolling the die is equivalent to just rolling it once in the first place. If the first result is irrelevant, why would you roll it at all?

ashnaile
05-11-2010, 10:24 AM
I wasnt very clear i guess, i wasnt saying either reroll was mandatory, but think of it practically;

i roll for board edge, im either going to get the edge i want, my choice, or the edge i dont want, if i roll the edge i want i guarentee 100% ill be made to reroll, and if i get the board edge i dont want i guarentee ill be rerolling ...

in practice you can just pickup and reroll, as either way the outflanking board edge roll goes, one of the two parties will be unsatisfied and force a reroll.