PDA

View Full Version : Shotguns

Erasmus of Baal
05-09-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm putting together a BA army for fun playing, and I want to make the list decently competitive. My favorite weapon character-wise is the shotgun on Scouts, but I can't find anything good about the shotguns that wouldn't be better performed by a close-combat weapon and a bolt pistol. Is there really no reason save personal preference to take shotguns?

Sir Biscuit
05-09-2010, 09:17 PM
It's effectivly a matter of first-round inititive. Scouts that shoot with the shotgun get one more S4 attack before combat, and one less attack once their in combat. IN addition, they can fire more shots at units that they wouldn't want to charge. That being said, you still ahve to be within 12" to use a shotgun, so whatever you didn't want to charge will probably charge you next turn.

Honestly, combat blade and pistol are better. You get doulbe the number of attacks in every round after the first, or ifyou are the one getting charged. In addition, the casualties you cause with those extra attacks count towards combat resolution, whereas shotgun casualties don't.

Really, it's silly they can't have both. Knives are really that big? But I guess tacitcal marines forgot theirs too. :P

DarkLink
05-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Really, it's silly they can't have both. Knives are really that big? But I guess tacitcal marines forgot theirs too. :P

Yeah, that didn't make sense to me, either. Is Combat Tactics so broken that the 16pt price doesn't cover a second CCW?

Sir Biscuit
05-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Knives lead to close combat. Close combat leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to... chaos.

addamsfamily36
05-09-2010, 10:08 PM
If you have a unit of 10 scouts can't you take like 5 with combat 5 with shotguns ? that way you'll have a nice mixture.

i believe shotguns are assault weapons, and there's nothing stopping you from this war gear selection as it doesn't say the whole unit must replace their weapons for shotguns etc. so win win :D

Paradox
05-09-2010, 11:27 PM
The point previously raised about the extra shot prior to combat is why i'm running 5 combat shotgun scouts with 5 sniper/HB/Telion scouts (to be used as two separate combat squads). I tend to face lots of things of the slanneshi variety, so getting the jump on their high initiative is important.

Mind you, so is target choice and timing. Hence why for my use of scouts of I'm no worried about future number of attacks in later rounds of combat. If those five scouts haven't finished the job by the end of that first round of combat, later rounds of combat aren't probably going to be a worry for them anymore...

Point is the load out is likely to (obviously) be influenced by how you intend to use the scouts, and in what numbers.

Sitnam
05-10-2010, 12:27 AM
While I know you dont play them, BT crusader squads allow for the scouts to take shotguns and be effective as they are paired with fully fledged battle brother who can be given the BP/CCW combo.

UltramarineFan
05-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Knives lead to close combat. Close combat leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to... chaos.

Which is why all the millions of guardsmen come with close combat weapons.:confused: Never understood the point in that.

Melissia
05-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Guard close combat weapons (at least one on standard rank and file guardsmen) have zero effect on gameplay. They're kinda silly.

Erasmus of Baal
05-10-2010, 03:17 PM
What about Terminators? Since both would be move-and-shoot style, might they pair up well, storm bolters paralleling shotguns?

Drukawski
06-03-2010, 11:30 AM
What about Terminators? Since both would be move-and-shoot style, might they pair up well, storm bolters paralleling shotguns?

I've lurked this board for a long time and in this one comment I found reason to register.
Dibs on Terminators with storm-shotguns and chainfist!

Honestly, its likely the best Daemonhunter idea I've heard in the last few months, I mean jet bikes? ...really?

P.S. Shop smart... Shop S-Mart....

Kirsten
06-03-2010, 05:07 PM

Chaos leads to deeper pockets...