PDA

View Full Version : Marbo

BlackKnight15624
05-09-2010, 08:28 PM
What's the draw of Guardsman Marbo? It just seems to me that the role one would give to him would be far better served by an allied Callidus Assassin (granted, you need to take an inquisitor, etc).

So how would one use him in a way that wouldn't get him slaughtered on the turn he arrives?

DarkLink
05-09-2010, 09:27 PM
So how would one use him in a way that wouldn't get him slaughtered on the turn he arrives?

Oh, he's going to die when he arrives. But so will whatever he puts his demo-charge on. And he's a bit of a distraction to your opponent, too.

Sir Biscuit
05-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Well, the Callidus IS better... but also three times more expensive after inquisitor+assassin.

He's good because he throws a det-pack and kills something, and the enemy has to waste a squad to shoot at him if they want to kill him. That's it, really.

Atrocity
05-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Slightly off topic, but my favorite thing in the world is when Marbo's demo charge deviates back into his face.

slxiii
05-10-2010, 01:23 AM
Slightly off topic, but my favorite thing in the world is when Marbo's demo charge deviates back into his face.

a while back a guard player in my store brought in marbo from reserves, then started his shooting phase with a deathstrike missile launcher. It hit nothing but marbo..... alot

Lord Azaghul
05-10-2010, 06:37 AM
What's the draw of Guardsman Marbo? It just seems to me that the role one would give to him would be far better served by an allied Callidus Assassin (granted, you need to take an inquisitor, etc).

Because he's a nice cheap, show up anywhere on the field, demo charge.

If you start him in cover he's fine, but that's not the point of rambo, er marbo, you stick him next to some high value target and throw the charge.

I've only used him a couple of times, he managed to roll 4 2's in CC, I was not happy.:( Most of the time He doesn't make it into my lists.

sebi81
05-10-2010, 07:38 AM
to take a callidus you must pay the 210 points for the callidus and an inquisitor lord with at least three henchmen. the inquisitorlord and his retinue without any wargear cost more than marbo and take a hq slot. the callidus herself costs three times more as marbo. that leaves you enough points to take a valk and a veteran squad with three melters for example. so you can not really compare marbo and the callidus...

LadasN
05-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Well, at the hobby shop I hang out at, me and my friends tend to use closer to 30% cover of terrain (yes, it gets crowded). I use marbo alot, mostly because I like his character and he does burst damage often enough. I usually deploy him with decent cover and demo charge the first squad of opportunity. By now, my Stormtroopers have moved up and can support him in either an assault or shoot at the squad nearest to him.

BlackKnight15624
05-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the clarification- I missed the rule that he had a demo charge. For 65 points I'll be trying him out, then.

Hakuro
05-11-2010, 01:31 AM
Marbo is somewhat of an inconsistency when it comes to him being described as an elite unit.

You face the burden of choice when he shows up 'anywhere' in the field because the chance of bringing in a chance to do damage to an opponent's unit is offset by the fact he will not survive that turn, whether or not he uses the demo-charge, whether or not he fires his needle pistol (the potential large blast of the demo charge is forgone in this scenario).

Chances are that when he uses the demo charge, the scatter dice will not favour you nor your opponent. Marbo in this scenario becomes a 65 Point IG suicide bomber since that 6" range of the demo charge probably catches him and the squad he is shooting at (demo charge treated as shooting attack).

I recommend using more consistent elites choices if you really want to lay 2 or 3 turns of firepower or CC instead of using Marbo, that way you ensure the potential of that 65 points can tie up units rather than attempting to kill them outright. Halting enemy units from advancing or engaging other units of opportunity to the opponent is better than taking 1 turn and betting it on luck.

bonedale
05-12-2010, 09:38 AM
First, I think Marbo falls into that category of "for the fun of it" model. He may not get his points back, but it's worth it in a game to try.

Also, you don't have to drop him deep in the enemy's zone. For instance, I would try and drop him behind a squad I plan to assault that turn, that way he tries to demo them, and the squad is then assaulted. Maybe he will survive, probably not though with that save.

Also, a cheesy, but I believe legal way to get a callidus without the Inq "Lord" is to take a WH Callidus. Most IG take a INQ anyway for the mystics and hood. And the Callidus has the added benefit of working with PBS, for a devastating effect. And if you don't forget it like I do every game, you can move a unit the 6" which is nice to push Devastators behind a building, or push a LRaider back to buy some time.

Tynskel
05-13-2010, 12:38 PM
First, I think Marbo falls into that category of "for the fun of it" model. He may not get his points back, but it's worth it in a game to try.

Also, you don't have to drop him deep in the enemy's zone. For instance, I would try and drop him behind a squad I plan to assault that turn, that way he tries to demo them, and the squad is then assaulted. Maybe he will survive, probably not though with that save.

Also, a cheesy, but I believe legal way to get a callidus without the Inq "Lord" is to take a WH Callidus. Most IG take a INQ anyway for the mystics and hood. And the Callidus has the added benefit of working with PBS, for a devastating effect. And if you don't forget it like I do every game, you can move a unit the 6" which is nice to push Devastators behind a building, or push a LRaider back to buy some time.

You cannot take assassins unless you have an inquisitor in your force- that's on p. 30 of WH and p.26 of Daemonhunters.

Essentially, for 65 points, you can have marbo, or for ~200 points (Inquisitor Lord, Retinue, and Assassin), you can have an assassin. If you are pressed for points, but want an 'assassin'- take Marbo.

bonedale
05-18-2010, 06:54 AM
You cannot take assassins unless you have an inquisitor in your force- that's on p. 30 of WH and p.26 of Daemonhunters.

Essentially, for 65 points, you can have marbo, or for ~200 points (Inquisitor Lord, Retinue, and Assassin), you can have an assassin. If you are pressed for points, but want an 'assassin'- take Marbo.

Of course you can't take an assassin without an Inquisitor. I was suggesting how to avoid an Inquisitor Lord HQ, and have an Elite DH Inquisitor, and an WH Assassin.

DarkLink
05-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Of course you can't take an assassin without an Inquisitor. I was suggesting how to avoid an Inquisitor Lord HQ, and have an Elite DH Inquisitor, and an WH Assassin.

Can't do it. You need a DH Inquisitor to take a DH Assassin, and a WH Inquisitor to take a WH Assassin. GW's rules for taking Assassins are pretty restrictive.