PDA

View Full Version : My Eldar Fix, an attempt to open the codex

ArmyC
05-09-2010, 04:18 PM
I have been working on this list for several days with help from several forumites. I started out under powered, and it now is on the verge of over powered IMO. Give me your thoughts.

Exarches are free.

Shuriken cannons are the base weapon for Vypers, Wave Serpents, War Walkers, Wraithlords and Falcons, and thus cost no points. All weapon options for those models are reduced by 5 points for normal weapons and by 10 points for twin linked weapons.

Eldar jet bikes gain Hit and Run and Skilled Rider USR. This applies to Shining Spears, Guardian Jet bikes, and any character that takes an Eldar jet bike.

Wave Serpents and Falcons – Tokyo Drift – Passengers may exit this vehicle at any point during the vehicles movement. Draw a straight line along the path that the vehicle moved. Place the debarking unit in deep strike formation on that line, with the center model directly on the line. This rule is in addition to the normal method of exiting a transport. This rule does not allow exit when moving flat out.

Howling Banshee Exarch Power: Assault Drill: Treat this unit’s dedicated transport as an assault vehicle. +15

Striking Scorpions – Stalker changes MTC to Pathfinder, and adds Stealth. +10

Autarch – Master Strategist – The Autarch may choose one of these two options during his deployment phase. Grant either Furious Charge or the Scout USR to one infantry unit, or he may roll for reserves in this way: roll a d6 for each eligible reserve unit, then he may add or subtract 1 to each result prior to deploying any reserves.

Prince Yriel - Corsairs – May add a unit of 10 Storm Guardians, with a Warlock, and Wave Serpent as a retinue. Storm Guardians are a scoring unit, but do not count as a HQ or Troop choice. When held in reserve, this unit gains the scout USR, and does not roll to enter the game. Instead, bring this unit into the game on any turn after turn 2. Yriel is an Autarch and so has the Master Strategist rules listed above.

Phoenix Lords – 4+ Invulnerable Save. Count 1 unit from its aspect as a scoring unit, also, this model confers its Exarch Powers to any unit of its aspect that it joins.

Farseer – Runes of Phasing +10 – Units that deep strike within 6” of a Farseer or his transport does not scatter. Runes of Witnessing – Roll 3 d6 to test psychic powers, discard the highest. You must take the remaining roll. Any roll of 7 or less from the remaining two d6 cannot be negated by psychic hoods and the like.

Eldrad gains the above Farseer abilities.

Defender Guardians – Defensive grenades +1 per model and change Suriken catapults to 18” range and RF.

Guardian Jet bikes – Every 3rd jet bike may exchange the shuriken catapults for a Shuriken cannon for +10 or a fusion gun for +7.

Warp Spiders – Surprise Assault grants reroll of deep strike scatter dice.

War Walkers – Walkers are a Fast Attack unit. Camouflage Projector – When this model is partially obscured or in difficult area terrain, grant a +1 cover save. +10

Wraithlords – Eliminate the TL rule of 2 of the same weapon.

Vypers – Cost 55 - Delete open top and add scout. Vectored Engines+10, Star Engines+5, Holofield+15, Spirit Stones+5

Falcon – Change BS3 to BS4 +10

Shining Spears Exarch Powers – Tactical Expertise – Counterattack USR +15, Tactical Precision – This unit may reroll failed close combat attack rolls +15

Mazelf
05-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Im sorryI dont mean to be offensive, it looks like you put some work into this... however imho, eldar arfe fine as is, sure there might be some units that feel outdated or underpowered but overall I think the eldar codex is doing fine on 5th edition, we got some awesome units (banshees, Dark Reapers, pathfinders, war walkers) who also got buffed with the new rules (new sniper rules plus 5+ AP1, outflanking War Walkers, etc.) anyhow I would maybe suggest buffing psychic powers as eldar are supposed to be the masters of psychich psychinness but otherwise I dont think the eldar are due for new rules....Necrons on the other hand....*sigh*

ArmyC
05-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Perhaps it is my own experience, but I read an awful lot online that reinforces my opinion. It seems that Mechdar-Autarch builds are what works in 5th. You have to mech up, place all in reserve, zoom around the board until turn 4, then crush one flank, occupy one objective, contest some others, and look for the game to end.

I hope that is not the only way to play.

My group plays 2000 points minimum. Usually, we play 3000. At that point level, my opponents, have so much firepower, and so many options, that the Mechdar strategy fails.

Eldar is all about using speed to create match ups that eldar can win. I think at 1500 points that works, because the opponent has limited options to counter the Eldar threat. At higher point games though the opponent can match me turn for turn.

My effort above is to open up the codex to grant more options. I would like more units to be playable, and more strategic options to be viable.

So, please consider the above rules in that light. I do not want overpowered units, or abusable tactics. I want to be able to field 5 different looking armies and have a chance with each.

Thanks

neverXmore
05-09-2010, 08:23 PM
You killed Asurmen.

Other than that, this really just sounds like wishlisting. Make everything in my favorite codex better, please!

Also, Autarch's are pretty bad. Seer Council/s are so much better. Try them.

Lerra
05-09-2010, 08:42 PM
It seems that Mechdar-Autarch builds are what works in 5th.

There was an article on BoLS recently that looked at the actual builds of top tournament placers in the last year or so. One of the best performing Eldar builds was actually footslogging Eldar. That list won at least one big GT event.

murrburger
05-09-2010, 11:36 PM
I have been working on this list for several days with help from several forumites. I started out under powered, and it now is on the verge of over powered IMO. Give me your thoughts.

[QUOTE]
Exarches are free.

I don't really see a reason for this. Maybe you could get them for free if you took a full squad?

Shuriken cannons are the base weapon for Vypers, Wave Serpents, War Walkers, Wraithlords and Falcons, and thus cost no points. All weapon options for those models are reduced by 5 points for normal weapons and by 10 points for twin linked weapons.

This makes sense. I think these vehicles need some more fundamental point-cost changes, though.

Eldar jet bikes gain Hit and Run and Skilled Rider USR. This applies to Shining Spears, Guardian Jet bikes, and any character that takes an Eldar jet bike.

This is ridiculous. On Shining Spears, I don't mind it, but on normal GUARDIAN Jetbikes? I don't think so.

Wave Serpents and Falcons – Tokyo Drift – Passengers may exit this vehicle at any point during the vehicles movement. Draw a straight line along the path that the vehicle moved. Place the debarking unit in deep strike formation on that line, with the center model directly on the line. This rule is in addition to the normal method of exiting a transport. This rule does not allow exit when moving flat out.

This isn't really a helpful change... honestly, what's the point?

Howling Banshee Exarch Power: Assault Drill: Treat this unit’s dedicated transport as an assault vehicle. +15

I feel that should be in the realm of Dark Eldar.

Striking Scorpions – Stalker changes MTC to Pathfinder, and adds Stealth. +10

Scorpions need a little more than that tweak to make them good again.

Autarch – Master Strategist – The Autarch may choose one of these two options during his deployment phase. Grant either Furious Charge or the Scout USR to one infantry unit, or he may roll for reserves in this way: roll a d6 for each eligible reserve unit, then he may add or subtract 1 to each result prior to deploying any reserves.

I really hate to be a dick here, but I'd like to see something a little more innovative than USRs in the next book. (Although, with the way things are going...)

Prince Yriel - Corsairs – May add a unit of 10 Storm Guardians, with a Warlock, and Wave Serpent as a retinue. Storm Guardians are a scoring unit, but do not count as a HQ or Troop choice. When held in reserve, this unit gains the scout USR, and does not roll to enter the game. Instead, bring this unit into the game on any turn after turn 2. Yriel is an Autarch and so has the Master Strategist rules listed above.

I can't really say anything. This just simply makes Yriel better. If you're trying to House Rule this, good luck.

Phoenix Lords – 4+ Invulnerable Save. Count 1 unit from its aspect as a scoring unit, also, this model confers its Exarch Powers to any unit of its aspect that it joins.

Are you trying to lay the foundation for a fan-dex, or just make the old codex better? If you're trying to make the old dex better, this is a little more than being on the verge of being overpowered.

Farseer – Runes of Phasing +10 – Units that deep strike within 6” of a Farseer or his transport does not scatter. Runes of Witnessing – Roll 3 d6 to test psychic powers, discard the highest. You must take the remaining roll. Any roll of 7 or less from the remaining two d6 cannot be negated by psychic hoods and the like.

Farseers need something like this, however... at the same time, it screws over armies that depend on psychic defense, and probably makes them feel stupid for bothering with it.

Defender Guardians – Defensive grenades +1 per model and change Suriken catapults to 18” range and RF.

I think they just need to be cheaper, and they'll be fine.

Guardian Jet bikes – Every 3rd jet bike may exchange the shuriken catapults for a Shuriken cannon for +10 or a fusion gun for +7.

I don't really like this. Melta should stay in Fire Dragons/Storm Guardians

Warp Spiders – Surprise Assault grants reroll of deep strike scatter dice.

Seems fair.

War Walkers – Walkers are a Fast Attack unit. Camouflage Projector – When this model is partially obscured or in difficult area terrain, grant a +1 cover save. +10

Seems kind of interesting.

Wraithlords – Eliminate the TL rule of 2 of the same weapon.

I hope this happens next dex. Or, at least, make the weapon cheaper than taking two,

Vypers – Cost 55 - Delete open top and add scout. Vectored Engines+10, Star Engines+5, Holofield+15, Spirit Stones+5

I think Scout should stay with the War Walkers.

Falcon – Change BS3 to BS4 +10

I'd rather it be cheaper and still BS 3.

Shining Spears Exarch Powers – Tactical Expertise – Counterattack USR +15, Tactical Precision – This unit may reroll failed close combat attack rolls +15

Uhh... no comment.

Basically, what I'm wondering is are you trying to make a fan-dex, or just make the current book better?

I've noticed that you haven't suggested anything with the really crappy units. (Swooping Hawks, Wraithguard) or mediocre things like Dark Reapers, Harlequins and Rangers. Is this intentional? Or did you just not get to them yet?

If you're just trying to make the current book better, I wouldn't really bother. It'd be better to start from the ground up, and try to balance things with 5th edition in mind rather than just... making things better.

Sangre
05-09-2010, 11:52 PM
Argh it's crazy terrifying overpowered! Big hint is that you've not really touched the units that nobody takes in forces except for fluff reasons. Where are my Hawk fixes? Why is Tokyo Drift? You've officially scared me now.

Mazelf
05-10-2010, 12:05 AM
Perhaps it is my own experience, but I read an awful lot online that reinforces my opinion. It seems that Mechdar-Autarch builds are what works in 5th.

I usually play my eldar around 2000 pts, I have done pretty well with them but mainly I always have a lot of fun, my list usually consists of a mix of the following:

HQ
farseer (may or may not be eldrad)

Elite
2 wave serpents with TL Shuri cannons and 10 banshees each
1 wave serpent with 5/6 fire dragons

Troops
5 to 10 pathfinders
1 wave serpent with 10 dire avengers w/ exarch, bladestorm, defend, PW & Shimmershield
10 to 20 guardians with warlock, conceal and starcannons

Heavy
3 to 5 Dark Reapers
3 war walkers all with scatterlasers or EMLs
sometimes a wraithlord with sword, but thats just because I love the model, I think its cheesy to use more than one and just one isnt really effective

its a pretty well balanced mix between footslogging/mech, shooty/CC, and it does fairly well when you use the units in conjunction... my point is, there are enough units in the army you can mix and match to fot YOUR style of play without having to focus on everyone elses opionion I think different gaming clubs/players and their gaming style make all the difference when building your army list...

anyhoo, best of luck and hopefully youll find a build you like which makes the army fun for you

Melissia
05-10-2010, 08:39 AM
I don't really see a reason for this.

Try looking at ANY fifth edition codex.

Guess what? They all have veterans added into the price of the squad, no veteran upgrades, except for maybe Tyranids (But they don't really have veterans ot begin with...).

Thus, Exarchs for free.

Snyderson
05-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Wraithlords – Eliminate the TL rule of 2 of the same weapon

And I guess there will be a change to T:6, Regeneration/FNP and no longer the silly malfunction on a 1...

Preacher
05-10-2010, 09:47 AM
In defense of ArmyC's fix list....just look at all the new/overpowered stuff that Guard, SW, BA, Nids have gotten with the release of their codexes. If a wish list looks overpowered, it's probably not that far off from what eldar will receive when their codex finally gets redone.

joescalise
05-10-2010, 10:15 AM
I love what you did with the Phoenix Lords, that is great.

ArmyC
05-10-2010, 01:20 PM
I admit to being a new Eldar player. Pretty new to 40k as well. I appreciate all the feedback.

My goal is to tweak the Eldar codex to make more units viable, and more strategic options feasible. I don't own Swooping Hawks, or Wraithguard. I have no experience with them to know what they need.

I play alot at 3000 points. My group likes to use all the toys. We usually play on 8' x 4' tables. I have an 8' x 6' at my house.

With the above as background/initial thoughts, here is some of my reasoning for the changes I propose.

Exarchs, and Shuriken Cannons - Recent codex releases seem more efficient on point costs. I am trying to balance the scale.

Wave Serpent - Tokyo Drift Aside from the humor of the name, this rule is similar to the grav chute rule for Valkyries. The purpose is to overcome the problem of rear door exit. To put your troops where you want, you have to turn your rear armor to the enemy. The drift rule solves this problem.

Assault Drill for Banshees - I would like to get into melee now and then. How do you keep your Banshees alive and close enough to the enemy to assault?

Scorpians - I want to keep each eldar unit specialized, thus Scorpians, are designed to sneak up on the enemy. These rules make that more likely.

Eldar jet bikes - Yes, I probably over reached granting hit and run and skilled rider to guardians. Then again, all I did was make an effort to keep them alive. If the only choice I have to keep jet bikes alive to contest objective late game is to zoom from cover to cover, then I would the guys would get pretty good with their bikes, thus skilled rider. And if they get in melee, they do not want to stay there. They should run. Thus hit and run. It isn't overpowered. It just helps them see the battlefield.

Autarch - What is master strategist for? I am paying points for it, why not convert it into something useful. There are 2 options. Buff a single unit with one USR (Furius Charge, or Scout) or you can adjust reserve rolls, but at +/- 1.

Prince Yriel - Corsairs The Corsairs idea wasn't mine but seemed pretty cool and fluffy. Not overpowered at all. They are Guardians after all. Make them a retinue or not. The point is that they enter the board with Yriel to save the day. They are not allowed to come in until turn 3, and scout allows them a chance to be at the right place at the right time, albeit again, with guardians!

Phoenix Lords Long overdue, and who plays with Asurman anyway?

Farseer The deep strike idea is simply a 5th edition update. Who is going to deep strike? Swooping Hawks, and Warp Spiders? What is the harm? Throw me a bone! Several people told me to up the power of the psychic powers. Change the roll number to 6 or 5, to change the odds, but grant the concept that Eldar should rein supreme on psychic powers. Didn't we used to snuff out suns with the power of thought?

Defender Guardians Make them cheaper, or make them better. It is the same argument.

Guardian Jet bikes I agree the fusion guns were a stretch for the jet bikes. I was just trying to give them a new role. Again, it gets them on the table more often.

Vypers The discount on equipment seems to be a no brainer. Who will ever spend 35 on a holofield on a 45 pt model? Granting them scout, meh, fine take it away, but leave the Autarch the ability to grant it. Also the open top rule is bad. What advanced race would build a contraption like that, and leave the gunner totally exposed? It makes no sense.

Shining Spears I think the costs for the powers are reasonable. If they are getting pretty powerful, they are getting very expensive, and they still die very easy.

DarkLink
05-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Wave Serpent - Tokyo Drift Aside from the humor of the name, this rule is similar to the grav chute rule for Valkyries. The purpose is to overcome the problem of rear door exit. To put your troops where you want, you have to turn your rear armor to the enemy. The drift rule solves this problem.

Every single other army in the game has to deal with this exact same problem, too. If you're going to give them a rule like this, then copy and paste it from the Valkyrie/Storm Raven, which GW has included and feels is a balanced rule.

whitestar333
05-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Honestly, I think the silliest balance issue the Eldar codex faces is ballistic skill. An Eldar warrior who's been living for thousands of years and participated in several aspects shoots as well as some hick imperial grunt who wants to "git 'er dun!"

I think the simplest balance fix would involve bumping everything in WS and BS by one. It would give Eldar a more unique feel (there's currently no codex specialized in high BS), would make more sense on a fluff level, and would make the most advanced weaponry in the galaxy feel like it met up to the name. Not to mention it might explain the exorbitant points costs, and now that we have rules for BS6+, it might be kinda fun to actually use them. The Eldar are supposed to be a glass cannon army, they are fragile and on the verge of extinction, but they have the most advanced weaponry in the galaxy. If a Space Marine sergeant can give a heavy weapon a BS of 5, why can't Eldar have it, and would it really make everything "broken?"

murrburger
05-11-2010, 01:09 AM
I'd like to see Guardians with DE Warrior stats. Either that, or make them cheaper. Although, I'm wondering where that leaves Aspect Warriors.

I have no problem with making Eldar better, mark my words. I've been playing them since 2nd edition, and this is probably the saddest they've been.

The most important problems I have are army wide.

1. Stuff costs too much. This is obvious, especially with the nerf to skimmers, and the lack of leap-frogging through assaults. It's very hard for fragile CC units to function, and for that matter, stay alive. Even with all these upgrades, are Banshees, or even Scorpions worth it against Guard?

2. Eldar aren't fast. Guard and BA have a fast skimmer now, everyone can run, outflanking...

3. Eldar psychic powers haven't changed much since 3rd. (Anyone remember 2nd edition Doom?) Compare a Librarian's 'Smite' power to what he has access to now. (At least Psychic Hoods have a range limit now)

I am a strong believer that Eldar should have the best psychic powers in the game. (Except maybe Tzeentch. But that's a whole 'nother story.)

@Melissa

How are they 'free' if they're added in to the cost of the squad?

Space Wolves seem to be doing fine without Sergeants. It seems that only codex chapters and Guard have them.

Plus, I think the less Eldar are like SM, the better.

ArmyC
05-27-2010, 10:05 AM
@murrburger
I agree with these as central issues to the codex. We all want Eldar to play like Eldar, not any other race. They are smart, fast, fragile, tricky and have powerful yet elegant weapons. I want to decimate my enemies and look pretty doing it.

To address speed: Do we want to add speed to the Eldar and thus further expand the codex creep? Another choice would be to make the speed we have access to cost less. (vectored engines, star engines) Maybe fleet for Eldar should be d3+3 giving a 4" to 6" fleet move. Other ideas are to grant a 6" move to Eldar vehicles in the assault phase, or simply allow them to spin in place. I would like to see this: Eldar transport vehicles can spin in place, debark troops, then move. Perhaps reduce their ultimate movement by 6". So you can zoom your WS up close. They get to fire at you, then next turn, spin, dump out the troops, and move away. The key is that it doesn't count as movement for the troops inside. All that does is make the WS act like a Land Raider without the assault vehicle rule.

Preacher
05-27-2010, 11:25 AM
To represent eldar as the fleet and agile race that they are....how about rolling 2d6 and take the highest for run or fleet of foot? If motivated guardsmen can run 3d6 and pick the highest then surely eldar can manage 2d6 and take the highest.

Guardians: For a dying race, eldar sure throw some crappy and cheap troops into battle. Guardians should get a bump in save or access to some kind of stealth (very eldar-like). Also defenders should get a bump in BS and storm guardians should get a bump in WS.

Wave Serpent or Falcon: Any BS 3 vehicle should at least have an option to upgrade to BS 4. I also like some kind of rule for transports to deploy troops anywhere along it's move.

Any thoughts?

murrburger
05-27-2010, 12:37 PM
I like the idea for 2d6 pick the highest for fleet.

And, @ ArmyC, I'm sorry if I was a little hard on your ideas. I honestly don't know what 5th edition will hold for Eldar, and how radically the army will change. The 6" assault phase for vehicles sounds pretty unique, and is kind of a throwback to Vectored Engines. That sounds cool.

But, I don't really believe in codex creep. There's, for sure, a huge shift in the power level of armies from 4th to 5th. But, I don't believe that Blood Angels are better than Marines, Guard or Space Wolves. Hell, I would say Guard is the strongest codex right now, and Space Marines are below Wolves, but above Blood Angels. Nids are... somewhere in the middle, I don't play Nids, but I thought they had a cool codex. (Must be all the Imperial races starving me)

I hope that Dark Eldar give us somewhat of a hint on what's to come.

DrLove42
05-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Dark eldar will give us a clue.

As will the Forgeworld book after next (IA10 is Eldar according to the guys at the Forgeworld openday).

As for codex creep...its not there, just all 5th ed rule books are a step up in the beardy factor that 4th ed books. Give the Eldar some powers to match the likes of Deep striking landraider, Malantai's in drop pods, jaws of the world wolf etc and we'd be balenced! Oh and we need to return to the forefront of physic powers...

But on the physic front its worth seeing it as most Eldar physic powers are assistative (re-rolling different things mostly) with the exception of a few. I think it should stay that way but with one or 2 high power attacks. it talks about Farseers tearing tanks apart and throwing them against walls. Eldritch storm...doesn't quite live up to that.

I see the Spinner as a way of helping the Eldar weather the storm that is them sinking down to the bottom of the pile (just Necrons under us now i think now DE and GK are on their way...) and we won't see the Codex for them till mid to late next year. Unless the Spiner sells REALLY well.

As for your rules there good. I've always liked the idea of the Eldar being a skilled army (+1 to BS and WS). Banshees need some sort of assault vehicle cos mine never get into combat these days. Shuriken cannons as a default is a brilliant idea, as is removing the twin-linked on Wraithlords (which btw do not need to go down in Toughness!).

Skimmers in a 5th ed need to be a lot cheaper. Compare a serpent to a valk and you'll see by how much. A default Serpent with the cheapest gun is 100pts. Sure it gets the energy field and has a defensive weapon but a valk is roughly the same price. Has multilasers, defensive rocket pods, same armour, same BS and has its extremly useful troop drop off. People say "well eldar get all the upgrades to make them better" i point out holofields and spirit stones, the 2 things no vehicle should be without are 45pts. I could buy a whole new transport for that in a different army. Oh and a Valk becomes a flyer, with the same armour as a Thunderhawk gunship in Apocolpse. For free. I played a game of Apoc the other day where the other team had 45 aircraft.

Speaking of Apoc now all flyers get a 4+ save against everything except a Hydra (which Eldar still get) our actual flyers are massivly overpriced. Again the guys at FW said the price of Eldar flyers needs to drop 75-100pts in the next version of the rules (IA10 is going to be great...)

Thats just my bit. Eldar are suffering, need some changes badly in 5th edition but are surviving as is till GW turn their eye on us...and give us a physic power that allows every friendly unit on the table re-roll fail to hit and wound. Or every enemy unit has to take a morale check or immediatly commit suicide...

murrburger
05-27-2010, 02:22 PM
As for codex creep...its not there, just all 5th ed rule books are a step up in the beardy factor that 4th ed books. Give the Eldar some powers to match the likes of Deep striking landraider, Malantai's in drop pods, jaws of the world wolf etc and we'd be balenced! Oh and we need to return to the forefront of physic powers...

4th edition Marines are worse than 5th edition ones. 4th edition Chaos aren't as 'broken' as 3.5 Chaos. Guard are sure a lot more fun to play against in 5th edition. Eldar were powerful in 4th and even more cheap in 3rd.

I think 5th edition has done a lot to balance the game. There is some stupid stuff like Jaws, and a few other things, but I think they at least keep things interesting.

Also, as a BA payer, deep striking Land Raiders isn't good. In fact, it sucks.

DrLove42
05-27-2010, 02:37 PM
4th edition Marines are worse than 5th edition ones. 4th edition Chaos aren't as 'broken' as 3.5 Chaos. Guard are sure a lot more fun to play against in 5th edition. Eldar were powerful in 4th and even more cheap in 3rd.

I think 5th edition has done a lot to balance the game. There is some stupid stuff like Jaws, and a few other things, but I think they at least keep things interesting.

Also, as a BA payer, deep striking Land Raiders isn't good. In fact, it sucks.

TBH what i'm looking forward to most is getting a Eldar (and Dark Eldar) codex with my own stupid powers so i can be on the other side of the argument for once :P

As for balenced once all armies have a 5th ed codex then i agree it'll be very balenced. Then they're release a new marine codex, or a new set of rules and it'll all start again. But while some are still on 4th (or even 3rd) ed codexs its not quite balenced yet. Battles between marines, orks (i know not 5th ed but written close enough), guard, nids and BA are balenced now. Just need to add more races to that

And as for the landraiders i thought they might be good, but since i've never seen any, and suffering a mishap cos you landed on a grot would be annoying, i can see why they probably suck

Hendarion
05-27-2010, 03:05 PM
The actual old Codex contains some very cool units... if you look at only them and don't compare.
I played various times versus lots of marines lately with Eldar. And honestly... I get shot down to bits in the first turn. Assaultcannons... erm... outch. There is only 1 really working thing against marines and Assault-Cannons lately: Reapers. But they are max 5 per unit (wtf?) and block a heavy slot.
The rest dies like flies, transports cost 90 points+ (and lots of €) or you gotta use the typical Council on Jetbikes which costs points and weeks of frustration building it from scratch.
It's just silly that Eldar barely work except you put everything in a heavy-priced transport (mine btw got shut down with a full squad last time with 1 shot, destroying all passengers...), use a council on jetbikes or 3 wraithlords (which is heavily against the fluff btw!). That's just sick. But if you ask me, that's not only a problem of the Codex, its the problem of the following:
- The stupid rule for Armor Penetration of weapons instead of Armor Modifiers. Not to mention that Eldar weapons from 2nd Edition to 4th dropped in range (catapults from 24 to 12), in fire-rate (compared to Bolters which had 1, now have 2 like catapults) AND in penetration (bolters had -1, catapults had -2 armor modifier) below imperial counterparts. *woot* ... Best tech in the Galaxy my ***... actually the imperium own the best tech, just the fluff sais opposite - Storm Raven, I'm looking at you!
- The stupid 12" weapon range of nearly every damn Eldar weapon, I can't output enough fire towards marines over 12". Laser Blaster S3 for 22 points? *cough* Guardians with Starcannons who miss all of the 2 (!) shots and get blown down by simple Bolters easily? Putting maybe Scatter Lasers on Walkers? Ah right, walkers get shot down by simple Bolters in one turn. *woot*
- The funny rule of instant death. You can't put a Farseer alone anymore or it dies by one single failed save for a wound of a Storm Cannon. Imo the worst thing in the current edition.

The biggest problem though are the 12". You never will get so close except with an uber-expensive transport (100 points serpent for 100 points guardians? umn...). And if you do, the enemy just assaults you next round and you're dead. Funny indeed.

The army-list that was made in this topic is surely interesting. Imo 18" for Catapults would already change a lot. Most of the other things sound nice (well, especially optional BS 4 for flyers!), but are not required that badly.

murrburger
05-27-2010, 03:38 PM
I agree with you, Dr. Love. The armies are balanced within the late 4th, and 5th edition codices. With a few exceptions. (Dark Angels, Daemons, cough cough). Armies like Tau, Crons and the Inquisition armies are sucking pretty hard. Dark Eldar are awesome for all the wrong reason, while Black Templars are just playable.

Wonder how they'll fix Tau. ;)