PDA

View Full Version : BOLS Market Place & Bits Trade

eagleboy7259
05-09-2010, 12:38 PM
I was wondering if other people would be interested in adding another section to the forums. Other sites like DakkaDakka have sections like their Swap Shop, where people can buy, sell, & trade miniatures and games.

This effectively helps people do bits trading, miniature sales, and commission work. Bits trading could be a big help to those who rely on ebay and other means to find bits, as the right bits are often hard to find on first glance and often people have to search though tons of unrelated things and still not find the right bit. It also limits restrictions on pictures a bit, allowing people to post more pictures letting buyers know the condition and quality of the parts they are interested in. I believe that a miniature sales sections could be just as valuable, as I know there are a number of people working on preheresy marines or other such projects. This could be an effective way to market OOP and special edition miniatures as well as that whirlwind that just didn't fit into your army list.

Allowing people to contact commissions would be a great way to join buyer and seller. I know that they do this on Relic New Forums home of Mr. Justin, TinWeasel, and others. In combination with the miniature gallery, this would allow people to see previous works as well as track the miniatures as they are being completed. I believe it would contribute to the growth of our miniature gallery as well as encourage new membership as our reputation grows.

Sales and contact could be done via private message and paypal, although BOLS could work in some kind of small fee, say 6% of final sale price with a flat fee of orders over $50 ($3 to BOLS if you were wondering). This would go to offsetting BOLS costs for the site as well as funding events such as BOLScon. This is either on par with ebay or less although its been awhile since the last time I sold on Ebay so I'm not really sure.

Finally the last thing I would like to propose would be miniature swaps and painting competitions. These would be done quarterly, and each competition would be done as a thread. Individuals would be selected at random to send a mini to another competitor, the competitors then have the remainder of the quarter to paint and post pictures of the minis. Painting competitions would be handled in a similar fashion minus the swapping. The pictures of the final entries would then be collected and posted to a separate thread for people to vote on. I believe this would encourage a greater sense of community within our forum as well as just being fun.

Hopefully some of that sounds like a good idea, and with enough support maybe we could expand this already awesome forum?

BlacknightIII
05-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Sounds pretty cool to me.

MarneusCalgar
05-09-2010, 12:56 PM
And for me too, either it will be more difficult because I live in Spain and it will cost more time to send from/to here

fuzzbuket
05-09-2010, 02:37 PM
yeah it could be a VERY good idea :P

I and many others would like it

sadly theres been MANY simmilar requests that have all been ignored

doing it with a thread and PM is probably the best way to do it!

hisdudeness
05-09-2010, 04:24 PM
I think the reason there is no response from ‘those above’ is that it is a massive liability to the site if bad things happen, more so because of the international nature of the site. My guess is that it is a headache no one wants to deal with.

There are sites that already focus on trading, I would use them.

Sir Biscuit
05-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Buy/sell/trade sections on forums are possible, and can work well, but I don't think it's possible here.

Honestly, they take a LOT of attention and require a dedicated staff that is willing to spend time every day to make sure that things are running smoothly. I'm not trying to say that the staff here isn't involved or that they don't work, but I think it's obvious from their response times on issues and the fact that a lot of violations have to be reported before action is taken that they don't read the forum enough to keep control of a section like that. Without strict staff supervision, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable using a forum section like that here. I'm sure a lot of others feel the same way. Again, this isn't meant to be an insult, they're simply busy people who don't have a lot of time to spend on their forum.

As mentioned, there are other sites that do this. I'd just use those.

Brass Scorpion
05-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Yes, I would be interested in at least having a place to advertise what I had for sale, trade or auction. I have stuff up on eBay quite often and things for trade locally too. I have some Games Workshop items on eBay right now at this link (http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1).

It also would be interesting to see what others have up for sale or trade. However, people who trade and sell directly with each other through forums without protections offered by companies like PayPal or eBay run a real risk of sending off money or items without receiving proper remuneration and I see complaints about trades gone bad all the time on forums.

eagleboy7259
05-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Buy/sell/trade sections on forums are possible, and can work well, but I don't think it's possible here.

Honestly, they take a LOT of attention and require a dedicated staff that is willing to spend time every day to make sure that things are running smoothly. I'm not trying to say that the staff here isn't involved or that they don't work, but I think it's obvious from their response times on issues and the fact that a lot of violations have to be reported before action is taken that they don't read the forum enough to keep control of a section like that. Without strict staff supervision, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable using a forum section like that here. I'm sure a lot of others feel the same way. Again, this isn't meant to be an insult, they're simply busy people who don't have a lot of time to spend on their forum.

As mentioned, there are other sites that do this. I'd just use those.

Nah I think you over estimate it, if you take a look at DakkaDakka they use a very hands off approach. If there is a problem with a trade it is reported and if the person is found to have screwed the other person their forum access is booted. Idk you can look it up for yourself here http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/247459.page

I personally believe the contrary, obviously, otherwise I wouldn't post this. BOLS forums are rapidly growing, the BOLS mainpage is possibly the best source of warhammer news outside of warseer. The site gets lots of traffic and I believe that the inclusion of such sections within the forum would attract more people to this forum. Modeling and Painting are key aspects of this hobby which don't really get an equal share of representation. Threads are useful to discuss fluff, rules, gameplay, rumors and army lists, but for people building armies, especially theme or competition level painted ones they need something more.

Bigred
05-09-2010, 10:01 PM
This is being taken under consideration...

There is also some vbulletin forum plugins available that facilitate such transactions, that are being looked into.