PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Disembarkation

Sir Biscuit
05-09-2010, 11:02 AM
According to Pg. 67 of the BRB, when emergency disembarking, "the models are deployed anywhere within 2" of the vehicle's hull, but the unit can't do anything else for the rest of the turn." On page 9 it defines turn as "Whenever the rules use the word 'turn', both in this rule book and in the Codexes, [sic] it means 'player turn', otherwise it will clearly state 'game turn'."

So, if a vehicle is destroyed by my opponent, and the exits are blocked, that means that I can emergency disembark without ANY actual penalty? (As the restriction that the unit can't do anything expires at the end of the player turn...)

Tynskel
05-09-2010, 11:25 AM
yes,

this is to prevent you doing crazy stuff with your units-ie get out on the side with no exits and shoot/charge.

DarkLink
05-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Actually, he makes a good point. If he's right, then you can emergency disembark with absolutely no penalty. Your squad doesn't get pinned for a full game turn.

BuFFo
05-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Yup, your squad does not suffer any penalties.

Sir Biscuit
05-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Yeah, I had assumed, and had played that the squad was pinned for a game turn. Seems to be how most people do it. Though it is also important to note you can only emergency disembark if you have no other options.

Still, this creates an interesting situation with Chimeras. It's pretty easy to block that one access point, if you know the Chimera will probably get killed in your opponents turn. That would allow you to disembark from anywhere, and potentially set up a better fire position for the squad inside.

Dunno, just surprised me is all. :P

DarkLink
05-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Right, the getting pinned, but only in your opponent's next turn and not your own, seems kinda pointless. I'm sure there's one or two cases where it would matter, but they would be very, very specific examples.

Tynskel
05-09-2010, 02:46 PM
You can only get out of the car voluntarily on your movement turn. p.66-67. The emergency disembark rules are to prevent you from getting out on your turn and getting to shoot/charge. (ie, prevent a squad in a chimera gaining a few inches closer to rapid fire weaponry without exposing the back armor.)

When you get out in another phase, it is because you were forced out of your vehicle. The Emergency Disembark is to make it difficult for your opponent to destroy two units with one blow.

When you are forced out of your vehicle, there are other rules in effect, as well-- ie p.67 your car blew up!

Sir Biscuit
05-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Actually, looking at it again, I have another question. =)

So, it says that a unit that emergency disembarks cannot do anything else for the duration of that turn. At first, the only thing I thought that restriction affected was that units ability to go to ground, but then something else occurred to me: can a unit that emergency disembarked attack?

That is, if a units transport is destroyed, and that unit is force to emergency disembark and then is charged, does that unit get to attack? I'm thinking no, it doesn't (doesn't get a pile in move either).

Tynskel
05-09-2010, 02:55 PM
You are correct.

Having said that (that's me being a jerk!), no one plays it that way. Or at least, i have never seen anyone play it that way.

The rules are written with just the player's movement phase in mind.

The emergency disembark is just being applied to another person's shooting/assault phase- which has a series of other rules (like taking pinning checks). The logic format has allowed people to override the 'do nothing that turn' and replace with 'take a pinning check'.

Sir Biscuit
05-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Yeah, but I was also under the impression that the unit was pinned for a game turn and that seems to be the way that most people play it... just looking for the correct interpretation.

It's not a huge deal, as I can count the amount of times I've seen an emergency disembark performed on one hand. Still, it's of interest to me as I'm picking up that bike army and if anything can move to block exits that's it.

Interesting note on the moral checks too- a unit that can "do nothing" can't take a moral check either, it would seem.

DarkLink
05-09-2010, 03:50 PM
You can only get out of the car voluntarily on your movement turn. p.66-67. The emergency disembark rules are to prevent you from getting out on your turn and getting to shoot/charge. (ie, prevent a squad in a chimera gaining a few inches closer to rapid fire weaponry without exposing the back armor.)

You can only emergency disembark when the vehicle is destroyed anyways. So it's not like you can just say "hey, you'know what, I'm gonna blow up my vehicle and emergency disembark, just so I can deploy the unit somewhere I normally couldn't or something."

So, the pinning part of the emergency disembark does almost nothing. I mean, the unit wouldn't be able to cast psychic powers in the opponent's turn, and such, but as I said earlier, that's pretty situational anyways. Otherwise, the pinning part of the rule doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever.

Tynskel
05-09-2010, 08:16 PM
You can only emergency disembark when the vehicle is destroyed anyways. So it's not like you can just say "hey, you'know what, I'm gonna blow up my vehicle and emergency disembark, just so I can deploy the unit somewhere I normally couldn't or something."

So, the pinning part of the emergency disembark does almost nothing. I mean, the unit wouldn't be able to cast psychic powers in the opponent's turn, and such, but as I said earlier, that's pretty situational anyways. Otherwise, the pinning part of the rule doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever.

That is incorrect. Emergency disembark does not say anything about only occurring when the vehicle is destroyed. All the rule says is if you cannot get out because of impassable terrain, you can emergency disembark. p.67

Example, vehicle is immobilized, and the opponent has blocked the exits. You can perform an emergency disembark, of which, for the rest of your turn you can do nothing.

Tynskel
05-09-2010, 08:21 PM
When a vehicle gets wrecked the rules specifically state to take a pinning test. p67.

Example. Tank gets wrecked, all exits are blocked, use emergency disembark. At the same time you have to take a pinning test.

Since this is a specific situation, and specific rules in the rulebook consistently override general rules, you have to take the pinning test, allowing normal action (like fighting in assault).

Sir Biscuit
05-09-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm confused about what you're saying Tynskel... are you stating that a unit the emergency disembarks will take a pinning test and then because you take that pinning test you can act normally for the duration of that turn? Because that's what your last comment looks like.

I would play as the unit cannot fight in assault... but that is less to do with me demanding RAW and more that I would like to think that there is SOME kind of disadvantage to being forced to emergency disembark.

DarkLink
05-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Huh, what do you know. Guess you can do that.

Oh, and I wan't actually referring to pinning tests. I was just using shorthand for the "can't do anything" part of the emergency disembarkation rule. Thought that would have been obvious.

Tynskel
05-09-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm confused about what you're saying Tynskel... are you stating that a unit the emergency disembarks will take a pinning test and then because you take that pinning test you can act normally for the duration of that turn? Because that's what your last comment looks like.

I would play as the unit cannot fight in assault... but that is less to do with me demanding RAW and more that I would like to think that there is SOME kind of disadvantage to being forced to emergency disembark.

You can Emergency Disembark from your tank in your turn- you cannot do anything else. p67

If you are forced out of your tank because it is wrecked, you take a pinning check after disembarking- everyone I have seen overrides emergency disembarking at that point- A more specific rule is overriding a general rule. p.67

It doesn't make sense that the emergency disembarked unit would not fight- look at the rules for pinned units and fighting in close combat- I would say the enemy wouldn't need Frag Grenades if they were charging through cover because their target is encumbered by the tank. p.36

ZenPaladin
05-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Funny example of Emergency Disembarcation?

I had my monolith assaulted and the front door was covered. But when my warriors came in from Reserves they HAD to exit the portal in the front. Because they had to leave the vehicle and the door was covered I was forced to emergency disembark. Which worked out fine for me because I put the monolith inbetween my squishy warrior unit and his angry Chaos Marines.

Tynskel
05-10-2010, 06:00 PM
That's actually a great example of Emergency Disembark. They really should put more portals on that thing; a full squad of warriors can't disembark from a monolith!

nojinx
05-12-2010, 03:09 PM
That is a really good question. What constitutes "acting" in 40K? Is a save an action? An attack? It seems obvious that a move, or shooting or an assault is an action. If something is an action, can we choose not to complete it?

I will state for the record the I believe the passage term "anything" refers to voluntary action taken by the unit. I believe involuntary actions such as attacking in assault, rolling saves or morale are still required to be completed by the unit.

EDIT: Sorry, this was a reply to Sir Biscuit's question at the end of the first page.

Dooley
05-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Just because SOME people play it a certain way does not make it right! In my understanding (not interpretation mind you) I would say that if all the access points are blocked and you have to get out you cant do anything else during your turn for example:

A Land Raider carrying a squad of Termies has had all its guns blown off and is then immobilized. The opposing player then strategically blocks the front ramp and the side doors effectivly trapping the Termies inside and thus removing them as a threat! However on The Termies turn they decide to Emergency disembark out the back! They cannot do anything else ie. shoot or assault that turn (players turn)

However if said land raider was assaulted by Gaunts and a Carnifex who covered the exits and broke said Raider, the Termies would ED out the back and take a pinning test. If they Passed said pinning test they would be free to shoot and Assault during their turn!

BuFFo
05-13-2010, 10:56 PM
However if said land raider was assaulted by Gaunts and a Carnifex who covered the exits and broke said Raider, the Termies would ED out the back and take a pinning test. If they Passed said pinning test they would be free to shoot and Assault during their turn!

Interesting house rule :)

Tynskel
05-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Interesting house rule :)

That's pretty much what the rules say to do.