PDA

View Full Version : Leman Russ turret on a Defiler?

Lykum
05-06-2010, 09:32 AM
I'd like to do a conversion of a Leman Russ turret on a Defiler. Has anyone tried this already? Basically, I want to make sure the dimensions of the turret will work on the Defiler's legs. Does someone have the dimensions for a turret? The dimensions of the Defiler base would be helpful too. I want to make sure it is a reasonable fit before I shell out the 12 pounds plus postage from FW.

sonsoftaurus
05-06-2010, 12:28 PM
I'd like to do a conversion of a Leman Russ turret on a Defiler. Has anyone tried this already? Basically, I want to make sure the dimensions of the turret will work on the Defiler's legs. Does someone have the dimensions for a turret? The dimensions of the Defiler base would be helpful too. I want to make sure it is a reasonable fit before I shell out the 12 pounds plus postage from FW.

It fits on a basic level, but it would need to have someway to connect it to the body, and even then would sit very low - as in turret not able to turn and clear the legs. You'd need to build up some kind of structure underneath the turret to raise it up a bit.

Mstarman
05-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Yo! old gamer here. I did this along time back when the D first came out. it looked cool for a time but i dropped it after a bit. but to make it look right you have to raise the turret, ( I used PVC pipe,) and center it in the middle of the defiler and use tank bits to cover the pvc pipe.

The Mighty Git
05-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Maybe Chaos up the base that the quad autocannon from Planetstrike sits on, its a standard turret ring if I'm not mistaken, it would certainly raise the gun high enough.

The Git

Lykum
05-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Yo! old gamer here. I did this along time back when the D first came out. it looked cool for a time but i dropped it after a bit. but to make it look right you have to raise the turret, ( I used PVC pipe,) and center it in the middle of the defiler and use tank bits to cover the pvc pipe.

I am giving serious thought to building it up using the body of a child's baby doll with the turret for a head. I can magnetize the hands to fit the normal Defiler weapons. The problem is I just want it to be upsetting, not entirely Nurgly.

wormwood
05-07-2010, 05:35 PM
I think keeping it obviously a baby doll body with all the other stuff being chaos bits would be more disturbing than making it look like a body of flesh. The real trick would be cleanly fashioning the points where the mechanical parts join the doll. Brown stuff putty would be best for sculpting these interfaces.

To actually secure the parts, I'd first use superglue kicked with baking soda, and rewetted with more superglue. It'll be really solid if you do this.:D

Lykum
05-07-2010, 10:44 PM
I think keeping it obviously a baby doll body with all the other stuff being chaos bits would be more disturbing than making it look like a body of flesh. The real trick would be cleanly fashioning the points where the mechanical parts join the doll. Brown stuff putty would be best for sculpting these interfaces.

To actually secure the parts, I'd first use superglue kicked with baking soda, and rewetted with more superglue. It'll be really solid if you do this.:D

Yeah, I want something biomechanical so maybe some bass/guitar strings and putty would do the job.

So baking soda and super glue? I've never heard of this combination. How's it work?

wormwood
05-08-2010, 03:24 AM
When baking soda contacts super glue, it makes it kick instantly. The liquid is drawn by capilary action between all the granules of the powder, exponentially increasing its surface area. The granules also form bridging elements in gaps between imperfecty mated surfaces.

This process results in a milky white translucent composite material with working properties much like the white plastic GW used for the old Tyranid" Turkey Warriors." It can be carved with an exacto knife, filed, or ground with a dremel to take a reasonable level of detail.

The bond is so strong that it will withstand forces that will destroy the plastic parts joined by it. It also enables you to easily assemble sturdy metal models without pinning them.

Beware, the glue gets really hot when it kicks!:eek:

The whole white portion of the neck on the Zoanthrope below is made of super glue and baking soda.
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee316/wormwood517/NewthropeRight.jpg

Lykum
05-08-2010, 07:32 AM
The bond is so strong that it will withstand forces that will destroy the plastic parts joined by it. It also enables you to easily assemble sturdy metal models without pinning them.

Very nice! I've never heard that one and I've been huffing... er.. I mean using Super Glue ever since I got my first balsa model plane.

That will save a huge amount of time and hassle if it means I don't have to pin. Have you ever tried putting a noise marine together? One of the worst designed models assembly-wise I've ever seen. None of the joints are flush and you have to join in 3 places. Lame.

hellapydahouse
05-11-2010, 02:32 AM

Hello,

you can see my conversion of defiler for orks, it's just one exemple what we can do.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/103078-Baneblade%2C%20Chaos%2C%20Conversion%2C%20Converti on%2C%20Defiler%2C%20Killer%2C%20Orks%2C%20Shadows word%2C%20Storm%20Raven%2C%20Stormraven%2C%20Strom lord%2C%20Titan%2C%20Volcano.html