PDA

View Full Version : Powerfists

Grailkeeper
05-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows how powerfists work?

Do they work in a punching motion or by clubbing people or simply by crushing stuff with those stubby fingers?

BuFFo
05-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows how powerfists work?

Do they work in a punching motion or by clubbing people or simply by crushing stuff with those stubby fingers?

All of the above, plus many other ways.

MC Tic Tac
05-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Don't forget the good old back hand ***** slap!

Fellend
05-06-2010, 09:30 AM
youtube dawn of war 2 force commander powerfist and you'll see how they work. (I guess, to lazy to actually try youtubing it)

Gnoblar with Pointy Stick
05-06-2010, 10:03 AM
I always imagined it flying off on a giant spring and retracting, with the Marine shouting "GO GO GADGET A$$ KICKING!"

zenjah
05-06-2010, 10:06 AM
Screw Crusher Punch!

Melissia
05-06-2010, 10:29 AM
I always imagined it flying off on a giant spring and retracting, with the Marine shouting "GO GO GADGET A$$ KICKING!"

Hahahah, if only Marines were that epic. alas...

They can work in multiple ways AFAIK. Punching, slapping, grabbing, etc, all work. What matters is that the massive strength behind the attack is assisted by the weapon's power field.

DarkLink
05-06-2010, 11:05 AM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PowerFist

RocketRollRebel
05-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Don't forget the good old back hand ***** slap!

A Pimp named slick back has a power fist I"m sure.

eldargal
05-06-2010, 10:07 PM
There are many ways of using a powerfist. No one has ever wondered why you can't find power fists in an SoB force? There is a good reason for it.

BuFFo
05-06-2010, 10:48 PM
There are many ways of using a powerfist. No one has ever wondered why you can't find power fists in an SoB force? There is a good reason for it.

Because Power Fists are too heavy for Battle Sisters to carry?

eldargal
05-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Exactly.

Because Power Fists are too heavy for Battle Sisters to carry?

Melissia
05-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Power Fists are lighter than Eviscerators, and Sisters are stronger than Guard whom DO have power fists. Furthermore, unlike Guard, Sisters don't need a power pack for fists as they could just use their suit's power. The suit alone would make them better at it.

No, the reason Sisters don't have power fists / thunder hammers / etc is because GW is stupid :P

BuFFo
05-06-2010, 10:58 PM
Exactly.

Dammit...

I was expecting some sort of resistance....

Now I guess I should be mature.... sigh...

If IG are strength 3, and so are the Sisters, why couldn't the Sisters carry Power Fists? Sisters can sure lug around multi meltas and heavy bolters, but not a power fist?

eldargal
05-06-2010, 11:08 PM
It was either that, or make an explicit joke about 'illegal powerfisting'. I made my choice and I stand by it.

Buty es, SoB seem perfectly capable of having power fists. Why they don't I can't imagine, unless GW was keeping them onyl for SM, but later gave them to guard but SoB missed out due to lack of codex update? I could be completely off here, I forget how long IG have been able to have power fists, it may pre-date SoB.

Dammit...

I was expecting some sort of resistance....

Now I guess I should be mature.... sigh...

If IG are strength 3, and so are the Sisters, why couldn't the Sisters carry Power Fists? Sisters can sure lug around multi meltas and heavy bolters, but not a power fist?

Melissia
05-07-2010, 02:10 AM
Guard were able to have Power Fists back in third edition, and the Sisters 3rd edition codex came out after the Guard codex.

Madness
05-07-2010, 03:25 AM
Because it's used to be a very unelegant weapon, and sisters aren't all that CC oriented. Plus it takes away from the medieval aspect of it all.

Of course today's powerfist are less encumbering and possibly leaner (see vostroyan's for instance). But back then they were ugly-arse items.

Melissia
05-07-2010, 03:54 AM
You mean, a giant, possibly spiked gauntlet isn't medieval?

Since when?

Certainly it's more medieval than a chainsaw the size of a man.

Fellend
05-07-2010, 04:53 AM
Could simply be a stylistic choice. Maybe there's a bunch of powerfisting sisters out there but they are shunned by the rest for being to hands on?
I mean sure it doesn't make sense not to use weapons which fits their arsenal but it also doesn't make sense to refuse technology and so forth.

BrotherAlpharius
05-07-2010, 06:20 AM
It was either that, or make an explicit joke about 'illegal powerfisting'. I made my choice and I stand by it.

:) But managed to allude to the other possibility just enough to reassure Buffo that he isn't a complete deviant!

Why take Powerfists when you can have Eviscerators?

Mr.Pickelz
05-07-2010, 11:07 AM
every time i think of anyone using a power-fist, i think of captain falcon from SSB.

FAAALLLCCOOOO PUNNNCHH!!!!

which then takes me to a hilarious you tube vid of ppl getting falcon punched...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL88a0jP6ZE&feature=related

Squirrel_Fish
05-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Off somewhere in the attic, a whisper escapes from my Sega Genesis box...

...Shoryuken...

Fellend
05-07-2010, 12:26 PM
しょうりゅうけん with a powerfist has to be one of the most evil beat ups ever, especially rocketboosted with a jump-pack. Someones jaw is going to be dislocated ... and picked up a mile away.

Melissia
05-07-2010, 01:59 PM
I have no clue what that jibberish means in the above post, Fellend.

Could simply be a stylistic choice. Maybe there's a bunch of powerfisting sisters out there but they are shunned by the rest for being to hands on?

No, because that would be stupid. Sisters harbor no hesitation to kill with xenos and heretics with their bare hands if they have no weapon at hand.

murrburger
05-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Should be '昇龍拳'. Hiragana is for little kids.

Kawaii desu ne? ^_^

Let's try and keep it English, shall we?

Note: I want at least one of my SMs to be wearing a Power Glove (RT). It's so bad.

lobster-overlord
05-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Note: I want at least one of my SMs to be wearing a Power Glove (RT). It's so bad.

What were the rules for a power glove? I have an old SM Lt figure with Power Glove in my Sternguard squad of RT minis.

murrburger
05-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Str 8, -5 to save, 1 damage. Type C (Obviously)

Commissar Lewis
05-07-2010, 10:38 PM

Heheheh, I came up with a response to that, but I'll omit it. 'Tis a bit low-brow. As Mal in Firefly said "you got a smutty mind, preacher." That applies to I as well. :D

But anyways, I always imagine powerfists being used the following ways: punching, grabbing, crushing, clubbing, *****-slapping, back-handing, and so on.

Fellend
05-08-2010, 03:29 AM
No, because that would be stupid. Sisters harbor no hesitation to kill with xenos and heretics with their bare hands if they have no weapon at hand.

Yes it would be stupid. Like ALOT of things in the 40th millenium, why doesn't all chapters have new and improved tech? Why isn't the holy orb of antioch used by other chapters, why aren't leman russes used by all factions of the Imperium (or storm ravens). Why are Sisters driving inferior rhinos, (unless you use IA).
The list goes on. The Imperium does ALOT of things because of stupid tradition (and because GW is slow to update) but that is the way the world is.

It should also notice that sisters are stupid for equipping their assault units with two pistols, sisters of redemptia without armor, pentient engines with...well they just suck.
I'm sure you get my point (yeah yeah they aren't technically sisters, blah blah sisterswank, still part of the force)

Crevab
05-08-2010, 04:44 AM
Weren't Sisters able to use Powerfists in their previous list? A friend of mine has an old model with one

Melissia
05-08-2010, 08:46 AM
It should also notice that sisters are stupid for equipping their assault units with two pistols, sisters of redemptia without armor, pentient engines with...well they just suck.
1: Seraphim aren't technically an assault unit in the fluff, so much as they are a harassing unit. furthermore, I'm fairly certain that they have melee attachments on the pistols

2: You can't even spell the name of the unit right...

3: Penitent Engines are owned by the Imperial Cult, not the Sisters. They are the result a punishment, just like Arco-Flagellants (Which are also an Imperial Cult unit).

blah blah sisterswank
Don't argue about the fluff, and then try and say the fluff doesn't matter...

Grailkeeper
05-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Cheers thanks!

I just have difficulty working out why they strike last if you can punch/ slap with them. I always imagined that tehy woud only be used to crush.

heres another thought- why do powerfists strike last if lightning claws don't?

Melissia
05-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Because Lightning Claws aren't as heavy.

Lerra
05-08-2010, 12:44 PM
heres another thought- why do powerfists strike last if lightning claws don't?

Because the powerfist is still saying "Falcooooooooon Puuuu-" while the lightning claw is attacking.

harrybuttwhisker
05-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Could just be its easier to make a sword and its crossguard look like a fleur be lys than a power fist?

Melissia
05-08-2010, 03:12 PM
No, as eviscerators have no crossguard.

Grailkeeper
05-09-2010, 06:54 AM
and you could always put a fleur de lys on the top, a bit like the way theres a skull on this one

http://www.the-war-lord.com/images/G/GW48-09-13small.jpg

Sangre
05-09-2010, 02:05 PM
Yes it would be stupid. Like ALOT of things in the 40th millenium, why doesn't all chapters have new and improved tech? Why isn't the holy orb of antioch used by other chapters, why aren't leman russes used by all factions of the Imperium (or storm ravens). Why are Sisters driving inferior rhinos, (unless you use IA).

For the same reason that Black Templars vehicles are affected by smoke differently to other chapters.