PDA

View Full Version : Imperial Armour Tanks

Renegade
05-06-2010, 04:39 AM
I was thinking of starting a guard army that uses Malcadors and Malcarius tanks. My group is fine going against IA armies (they are GW) as long as there are no super heavy tanks, do these two count?

The only background I can find on these points to them being heavy but not super heavy.

Any thoughts on Chimeras vs Salamanders or is a mix of both better?

I am thinking about putting my BT army on hold till the new codex comes out.

Gir
05-06-2010, 04:52 AM
Both are super heavies (2sp), sorry man.

Renegade
05-06-2010, 04:58 AM
Thanks... and damn!

Going to have to talk to them on that one. What about Salamanders and Chimeras?

Noxx
05-06-2010, 06:01 AM
I am thinking about putting my BT army on hold till the new codex comes out.

Seems like something you might be waiting quite a while for... I'd go for it if you're interested in doing it, new codex won't invalidate your models when it does eventually surface, and some of the current BT models are killer awesome

Renegade
05-06-2010, 06:45 AM
The BT Codex is the oldest of the 4 ed codices, so will whenever it is updated it will be before a number of others.

Atrotos
05-06-2010, 07:00 AM
I feel the Macharius is pretty fairly priced for a normal 40k game. The Malcador nobody will argue against because it sucks.

Renegade
05-06-2010, 07:31 AM
I feel the Macharius is pretty fairly priced for a normal 40k game. Good to know.
The Malcador nobody will argue against because it sucks. Care to elaborate?

Still... Chimeras vs Salamanders?

Gir
05-06-2010, 08:05 AM
The BT Codex is the oldest of the 4 ed codices, so will whenever it is updated it will be before a number of others.

4 of the 8 codices that need updating the most are older then Black templars. Looking at:

Daemonhunters
Witch hunters
Dark Eldar
Necrons

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Tau before BT.

So what I'm saying is you've a couple of years to wait at least.

Lord Azaghul
05-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Salamander are open top and fast I think (but don't quote me on it)

Vaktathi
05-06-2010, 08:19 AM
Salamanders IIRC don't have a transport capacity, and aren't really very good either way, FW decided to give it the old BA overcharged engine rules when previously it was just simply Fast for god knows how long, and then GW got rid of the BA engine rules and replaced them with Fast lol.

Chimeras are quite possibly the greatest strength of the Imperial Guard army, so take lots of them.

Rafe_131
05-06-2010, 08:24 AM
I'd go with Chimeras, as they are not open-topped and can carry troops. Salamanders are more or less mobile gun platforms....In which case I'd use Sentinels, since they *I think* are cheaper points wise and can have a more diverse weapons load out. I.E. lascannon, plasma cannon

Melissia
05-06-2010, 10:33 AM
The Salamander is, IIRC, the same price as an Armored Sentinel with multilaser.

That is, both kinds of Salamander. The Command Salamander has an HB and HF (or two HBs), search, smoke, surveyor, and "mobile Command Vehicle". The Scout Salamander has an AC, searchlight, and smoke, and no options to replace the AC. The latter does NOT have hte scout rule, but it does have "overcharged engines".

Personally I'd go with the Sentinel simply because it allows for more options, isn't open topped, and has extra armor for free.

Renegade
05-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Found a thread on warseer where some one is asking the similar things.

I thought Salamanders were light transports... another case of rules not fitting the fluff.

What would make good fast supports for these tanks?

I want a sort of PDF or neglected IG feel if possible and was thinking the toxic spouting Hell Hounds or ML or AC Sentinels.

Whats a good load for a Chimera? Should I go AC on them or something else?

I have a good idea what I am going to take troop and elite wise.

Nabterayl
05-06-2010, 12:32 PM
I thought Salamanders were light transports... another case of rules not fitting the fluff.
Fluff-wise, Salamanders are "transports" in the same sense that a Jeep or a HMMWV are "transports." A Salamander has room for four and is often used to transport officers, but they are definitely not light squad carriers.

Rafe_131
05-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Renegade, the load out really depends on what you want to use the chimera for. Is it gonna drop off troops midfield? Then yeah, I'd say an Autocannon with a hull-mounted heavy bolter is the thing. But if you plan on driving right up to the enemy line before off loading troops, a heavy flamer on the turrent and hull both will be of much more use.

Renegade
05-06-2010, 02:04 PM
I guess I should right up some fluff to give myself a better idea of what vehicles would fit. Thinking about I've loads of ideas, a system full of D&D type horrors on each settled world in a far flung par of the galaxy. A type of Regiment where the Commissars don't have to worry about shooting deserters, as each guard has grown up knowing nothing but safety in numbers. Where your career is chosen for you at birth and your taught from age 3 to be a worker, scrivener, soldier or diplomat and your success is based on merit.

This could take a while. In the mean time what would make a good FA choice to go with the tanks?

Melissia
05-06-2010, 04:02 PM
*mutters in an annoyed fashion at "turrent"....*

Anyway, I'd agree with that. Heavy flamer on either the turret or hull, and heavy bolter on the other one is pretty efficient. Add a pintle stubber and you're able to fire two weapons at all times.

Renegade
05-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Will probably stick my elites in Chimeras with flamers, have troop choice do what they do best and keep a space between them and the foe and shoot the crap out of them.

Help with fast attack?

Melissia
05-06-2010, 08:21 PM
I prefer sentinels for my FA choices. Scout sentinels are relatively cheap, making them make sense for a PDF feel.

Renegade
05-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Undecided about FA, may convert some scout bikes for rough riders.

Cheers for help and if anyone is interested I'll put up the back ground for the regiment once its done. Oh, and where is the best site for getting help on building back ground?

Melissia
05-08-2010, 03:54 PM
If you mean building a PDF/IG force background, that would be the IGMB.

http://commissar.proboards.com/

Renegade
05-11-2010, 06:45 AM
Decided to go for the Banewolf as probably the most effective if I am running Chimeras with HF.

david5th
05-11-2010, 09:46 AM
The Malcador nobody will argue against because it sucks.

Limited weaponry options + the Engine Damage rules makes them pretty much the worst Super Heavy available to the Imperial Guard.

Renegade
05-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Could you give me a rough idea on those engine damage rules? I have only managed a brief overview of the rules for the Malcador and more sold on its looks then its practical use. I guess I am going to be having some fun games, fun as in laughing as much as having my army laughed at. Though that nothing new... try running a BT footslogger list with no Marshal. "They go forwards, they run away!"

TSINI
05-11-2010, 06:57 PM
I love the looks of the malcador, it looks like it can wander into a crossroads and just defend itself against all-comers, blast a hole in the building in front, and wander through said hole.

screw the game effectiveness, its so characterfull!! like a lumbering bastion

If i had the cash flow i'd already have a malcador and macharius vulcan mega bolter at my disposal. but at £150 odd its just too much for me at this moment in time. but soon hopefully!

david5th
05-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Could you give me a rough idea on those engine damage rules? I have only managed a brief overview of the rules for the Malcador and more sold on its looks then its practical use.

Engine Damage: If the Malcador suffers an engine damage result it loses D6" movement rather than the normal D3".

I have to say it does look great as a mobile fortress but i personally wouldn't use one.

Melissia
05-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Yeah, the Malcador Defender looks friggin' awesome. The Macharius Vulcan also looks cool, too, though.

Renegade
05-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Personal tastes as side, I was think of seeing its the hull options can be converted so I can use them as "counts as" Leman Russ if need be. Anyone got one of these and know if its relatively easily done.
That said though, I can't see how they are that much better than a Russ, 2sp aside, given that they are about the cost of two Russ's.

FW have these in both the Heavy and Super Heavy sections, any idea what they are? Having structure points may constitute a Super Heavy to some people, but if the maker has them in both, I guess they are not quite in that league.

Can anyone give me a pro - con Malcador vs Leman Russ? I think I will save the Macharius for 2k+ games, if I can afford one.

Old_Paladin
05-13-2010, 09:01 AM
Personal tastes as side, I was think of seeing its the hull options can be converted so I can use them as "counts as" Leman Russ if need be. Anyone got one of these and know if its relatively easily done.
That said though, I can't see how they are that much better than a Russ, 2sp aside, given that they are about the cost of two Russ's.

FW have these in both the Heavy and Super Heavy sections, any idea what they are? Having structure points may constitute a Super Heavy to some people, but if the maker has them in both, I guess they are not quite in that league.

Can anyone give me a pro - con Malcador vs Leman Russ? I think I will save the Macharius for 2k+ games, if I can afford one.

The "counts as" should be pretty easy.
The malcador with battlecannon, comes with lascannons and autocannons. It would be easy to say that the autocannons are heavy bolters (or actually put on bolters/other sponsons, if you have some laying around).
The Defender could count as a demolisher with 3 heavy bolters (and the rest of the weapons are just 'dummy' guns; like some WWII command/radio tanks).

They are superheavy tanks; they are probably in both because the ease of 'counts as' and the fact they are the lightest of the superheavy vehicles.

Pro vs Con: Malcador is superheavy, can fire all weapons and can fire different weapons at different targets, often takes several 'killing' hits to destroy.
But, it's expensive, just cannot put out the firepower as similar superheavies and is slow.
It used to be better due to the fact it could fire ordinance and other weapons; but the Russ now has lumbering behemoth, so it just made the Malcador that much worse.

Renegade
05-13-2010, 09:55 AM
I am not that convinced that a Malcador is that much harder to kill than a Russ, mainly due to Str7 being able to glance and Str8 able to pen. The other two points are a plus though.

May need to negotiate with the few nay sayers in the group.

Time to start saving I guess, thanks for the help.