PDA

View Full Version : opening a store in texas

snikrot
05-05-2010, 12:48 PM
hello everybody i was just wondering if anybody knew around how much it might cost to open a gaming store in texas and if it would be very profitable.

DoctorEvil
05-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Here's a nice article on the subject.....

http://www.thegamesjournal.com/articles/OpeningAGameStore.shtml

I also remember seeing a series of articles on the subject that went into greater detail, but I can't find the link.

The best advice I've ever heard on the subject "It's quicker and less painful to just burn your money" :)

Lerra
05-05-2010, 02:08 PM
You are better off opening a bar with gaming tables ;)

crazyredpraetorian
05-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Better yet, just open a bar and support one of the many FLGSs in the state already.

Schnitzel
05-05-2010, 02:56 PM
A bar/FLGS combo? Hmmm.....
Nah, I like to keep my drinking and gaming seperate. Unless its drinking and playing the game.

oni
05-05-2010, 03:08 PM
GW hobby centers are as plentiful as fast food restaurants in TX. Why waste your $?

plasticaddict
05-05-2010, 03:16 PM
GW hobby centers are as plentiful as fast food restaurants in TX. Why waste your $?

Only if you live in Dallas or Houston. Most of us use a FLGS, and those can be few and far between.

snikrot
05-05-2010, 11:04 PM
i live in the dallas area and i have noticed this thats why i was asking

BuFFo
05-06-2010, 12:02 AM

Because, like a fast food restaurant, GW Hobby centers serve greasy, nasty food, while a FLGS is like a local mom and pop restaurant where you can get good steak.

TheBitzBarn
05-06-2010, 05:30 AM
well that is loaded question so Many Factors. Where in Texas? What size Store? What are you gonna carry? How much gaming room do you intent to provide? What level of tables and terrain. There is a LOT that goes into opening a store.

LoverzCry
05-06-2010, 09:04 AM
They're not actually that bountiful out here in TX Dx I have to drive a bit to get to the one near me, and there's one near to the college I'm going to in the fall, but it's still a 45 min drive at least : / The closest ones to me are Frisco and Grapevine. What there needs to be is more comic book shops having tables. GW doesn't necessarily need to have more stores.

What you could do though, is just open up a gaming lounge. Have tons of tables, serve refreshments and snacks. That'd be sick.

snikrot
05-06-2010, 09:33 AM
i am looking for a fairly decent sized store with gaming space and will probably carry a wide variety of items.

Atrocity
05-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Yeah the only official GW stores in DFW are Frisco and the one @ Grapevine mills mall (aka NOTHING on the west side of the metroplex). My gf's parents live in Fort Worth and at least around where they are the only gaming stores are 2 or 3 Lone Star Comics within 15 or so minutes. If you had the heart and were serious about it I'd suggest hopping on GW's site and looking around Dallas or Fort Worth and see if theres an area (hopefully a nicer area) that looks like you could make some money with minimal competition.

That being said, hundreds if not into ~a thousand businesses die in DFW every year and this economy is only going to make it harder for you.

A friend of mine who works for a GW has told me that they "plan" on expanding to 20 or so more areas within the next 2 years that either have minimal or no GW presence, citing places like DFW, Big 12 country in general, and places west as areas they're looking into. Take that with a grain of salt though.

Like anything if you're willing to work hard and can find an opportunity, there's money to be made. The economy is only going to make things more difficult though.

TheBitzBarn
05-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Take the GW expansion with a BIG grain of Salt as It has not gone as Well in TX as they thought it would and they are slowing down. I expect to see them slacking on opening store in the next 18 months big time