PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration needed for diabolical dooms device!

TSINI
05-05-2010, 05:02 AM
I'm putting together a themed apoc game (it's going to be bigger than big, and purely brutal)

I'm looking for some ideas for my doomsday device, it needs to be mobile - on tracks/wheels, possibly with flailing arms

and decidedley "doomsday device" looking

Any suggestions for cheap toy models i could base this on? bitz that would look good? or techniques to scrathbuilding that would benefit me?

perhaps you have built something that looks like a diabolical device.

i don't really want to go mad spending wise because it may only get a couple of uses, but on the flip side, i do want it to look cool to get the players' imaginations going.

Cheers, TSINI

Lord Azaghul
05-05-2010, 06:19 AM
I'd say check your local Dollar store toy section and your local hardware/diy store. I've found various cheap toys and what not that I've turned into terrain, I can't imagin a nice doomday device would be too far from that. Besides you never know what will spark you imagination.

Rafe_131
05-05-2010, 12:59 PM
I know there is a range of WW2 models by AFV Club that are scaled very nicely for large, "doomsday" looking vehichles. Ask Sukigod about them. I know he has used a model of the M88A1 recovery tank from that line to make a very large, very Orky conversion. I'm wanting to say that most of the vehichles, (as far as the tanks go) run roughly the size of a Baneblade or larger depending on the model in question. As said, Sukigod could probably give you a much better idea on scale and price than I. Good luck!

FaultyVoodoo
05-05-2010, 03:31 PM
What race designed this doomsday device?

TSINI
05-05-2010, 03:55 PM
cheers rafe, yeah i sent him a message, but cheers for the AFV club name, thats a goldmine for they type of vehicle i'm after

this one looks pretty cool

http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/media/managed/large/af35008.jpg

if i could find something like that a bit cheaper, i'd snap it up :D

TSINI
05-05-2010, 04:02 PM
What race designed this doomsday device?

Its going to be a long lost dark age of technology device, most likely human, due to its basic track/tank design, i might adorn it with some skull symbols.

then i'm going to give it an abusive amount of weathering powders to make it look like it's been excavated from the ground.

without spilling too much, the device is going to spit out all sorts of crazy effects in the game.

Denzark
05-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Howsabout:

Lord Azaghul
05-05-2010, 04:28 PM
I used to have that GI Tank! (Or should I say Cobra Tank!)

TSINI
05-05-2010, 05:47 PM
spot on denzark

I've just perused ebay, and placed some bids about. will know in a few days if this doomsday device is going to be as dirt cheap as I initially planned :D

I will post pics up here when/if they arrive

Rafe_131
05-06-2010, 06:43 AM
Hehe...I never even thought about old GI Joe stuff. I have several large boxes filled to the brim with that stuff. Gonna have to dig them out of the attic I guess. I know I have a GI Joe General up there somewhere. That would be properly doomsday, but it would take up nearly half the table!

Lord Azaghul
05-06-2010, 07:19 AM
I picked up a box of used Gi Joe stuff at a garage sale w/ ebay intentions. Then after seeing how little they are worth on ebay I decided to convert to usable 40k stuff.

The RPV is almost perfect size for a death strike missle launcher.
and the Wolverine is being converted into an IG super heavy.

Much of the stuff is just plan worthless, but will probably be ripped apart to create larger terrain pieces, and fortifications.