PDA

View Full Version : Organic flesh tones

Kahoolin
05-04-2010, 10:42 PM
The other day someone asked me how I did the flesh on my Ogryns and I realized I couldn't really tell them precisely as I don't use pre-mixed flesh tones. Instead I get blobs of all my browns, reds, tans, whites, whatever and mix them up by eye until I think the colour looks good. I then do about a third of the squad, then organically mix another (different) tone and do the next few guys, and repeat. I find it gives a much more natural result, as everyone's skin tone is unique in real life.

I just sort of noticed that current fashion seems to be to use pre-mixed colours in various layers so that many painters can pass on a sort of recipe that anyone can follow. It seems that mixing by eye is a bit rarer nowadays. Even when someone does mix a colour they often prescribe precise proportions. I never see a painter on the net write: "mix this with this till it looks right", it's always "mix 3 parts this to 1.5 parts this."

Anyone else prefer the intuitive approach to painting over the scientific? If so, or if not, why?

Jokubas
05-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Well, I can tell you why it isn't common for painters to give other painters that advice. If they're especially new or don't know what they're doing, it doesn't really help. They won't know what tones to experiment with, and are probably more likely to end up with a disgusting blob of colors.

That's kind of my problem right now. I just realized that after painting things on and off for the last seven or so years, my paint jobs are actually pretty poor. I have thick coats, visible brush strokes, and more. I've looked up a few things on how to fix this and tried my own things and it looks... well, it doesn't look right.

That said, I know what you mean. As someone a bit more experienced in other "arts", sometimes you just have to experiment to get the look you want, and trying to boil it down to a science isn't that easy.

Kahoolin
05-05-2010, 02:32 AM
Well, I can tell you why it isn't common for painters to give other painters that advice. If they're especially new or don't know what they're doing, it doesn't really help. They won't know what tones to experiment with, and are probably more likely to end up with a disgusting blob of colors.
That's true. I'm just interested, because I've been painting for a while now and I never really thought of it as a scientific process, more a creative one. I don't really think there are "right" colours to use, it's more about experimentation for me. I've just noticed that in the area of miniature painting these days most people seem to take a sort of "paint by numbers" approach,* and I don't think it's only beginners but many excellent painters too.

I am a little confused by your response though. I think sometimes thick paint and brush strokes can look awesome - Jon Blanche's mini painting style is an example. There's nothing "right" about many thin coats with invisible brush strokes, or "wrong" about chunky texture. They're just different styles aren't they?

That sort of highlights what I'm getting at actually. People seem to not want to develop an individual style. The scientific approach seems to be taking over as the "right" way to paint a model. Am I wrong?

*I'm not saying that's a bad approach by the way, just not mine.

Lord Azaghul
05-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Anyone else prefer the intuitive approach to painting over the scientific? If so, or if not, why?

Kinda, its usually the first model that I mess around with, then once I get the formula down, I usually remember it, and oddly enough I do have like 1:1 or 5:1:1 ratios, but it kind of like cooking, and I approximate. There are a couple of colors that I've forgotten (keep forgetting to keep a master color sheet), and usually have to mix and match until I get the right blend.

I usually learn what is possible by looking at how/what other people paint, ask a few questions, then try some techinics, until I find 'my way' of doing it. I'm not the best painter, and I get impatient, so I've found what works for me.

Oddly enough I've found a few very helpful tips in WD, ideas that have turned out to be great starting points, espeically since most of my paints aren't GW stock.

UltramarineFan
05-05-2010, 12:17 PM
They use these precise instructions in WD for the in depth 'eavy metal painting articles and someone asked how they manage to get such accurate mixes and the reply was that they do just mix until the colour looks right. Basically the ratios are supposed to be guides as opposed to strict instructions, it essentially tells you 'until you get something like this' but helps you along by telling you roughly the ratios of the paints.

Rafe_131
05-05-2010, 01:10 PM
As I'm a cheap bas**rd, I still use FolkArt paint....I know...I know. But anyway. I have usually mixed my own flesh tones, but recently discovered a color in the FolkArt range called Peach Summer. It is a near perfect match to GW's Dwarven Flesh. Since then, I simply start with that and work my up or down until the desired tone is achieved.

Lerra
05-05-2010, 02:15 PM
I mix by eye for organics (I agree that it looks more natural), but I use a formula for the mass-produced mechanical look. My first miniatures were red space marines, and they ran the spectrum from brick red to dark purplish red because I didn't control the tones I was blending with very well.

Also, if you use red paint with magnets in the miniatures, the paint changes colors based on the magnetic field 0_o

Kahoolin
05-05-2010, 09:08 PM
I mix by eye for organics (I agree that it looks more natural), but I use a formula for the mass-produced mechanical look. My first miniatures were red space marines, and they ran the spectrum from brick red to dark purplish red because I didn't control the tones I was blending with very well.Yeah I should qualify, I use a formula for uniforms etc. But I discover the formula by experimenting and then repeat it.

Also, if you use red paint with magnets in the miniatures, the paint changes colors based on the magnetic field 0_oWow, that's wierd!

FastEd
05-06-2010, 04:38 AM
The "Warmachine: Forces of" books don't use exact formulas when talking about how to replicate the colors used. A nice gradient is provided, with a couple swatches of color picked out for "I get it to about here." Personally I prefer that over formulas when trying things out. That said, I'm with you guys on the uniform uniform (heh) front, though I tend to have a formula that I will mix, but tweak if I feel it's a bit off (as it is impossible to get exact numbers, even with an eye dropper...I've tried in the past, don't judge me! :P ) since paint doesn't dry the same shade as it is when wet.