PDA

View Full Version : Couple Questions About Yarrick's Rules.

Commissar Lewis
05-03-2010, 09:17 PM
#1. As per the rules of having 2 different SCCW's (in Yarrick's case, a power klaw and a power sword) if one were to opt to use the power sword, would he not have the initiative penalty (nor the strength bonus) given by the power klaw? Meaning normal strength and initiative?

#2. His Iron Will rule (the one where he can get back up after losing his last wound) does not say it only can be done once. Does this mean he can keep getting back up as long as one rolls well?

Just a couple questions. Thinking about getting him for my summer Apoc game. For virtue of having the Distilled Pure Badass that is Yarrick.

DarkLink
05-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Yes and yes.

Necrosis
05-03-2010, 09:23 PM
1) Yarrick doesn't have a power sword he has an extra close combat weapon. So yes you could stike with that at normal initiative order.

2.) Yes you can keep getting back up just like a necron expect your is way better.

Ninja'd.

lobster-overlord
05-03-2010, 09:57 PM
In Apoc and in regular games, he is awesome. I have had him get back up 3 times and finally die on turn 6 in one game.

@Necrosis, p42 BRB under "A normal and a special weapon" it was pointed out to me once that it doesn't allow you to choose between the normal and the special, but that all attacks are resolved using the special weapon stats. Although it doesn't say so, do you still see it as being allowed to "dumb down" your weapons to your basic normal weapons for purposes of chosing initiative order over bonuses?

John M.

Melissia
05-03-2010, 11:50 PM
You can always choose not to use a weapon.

Nabterayl
05-04-2010, 01:44 AM
You can always choose not to use a weapon.
Per page 35, no, you can't. If you have a special weapon you must use it, whether you want to or not.

The question really is whether two normal CCWs counts as a "special" attack for purposes of page 35. Personally I am of the opinion that they do; others disagree.

sebi81
05-04-2010, 05:56 AM
you could choose not to use a special weapon in 4th, but in 5th you have to use special weapons. if you have two of them you can choose which one to use. but you can not choose if you only have one. the normal ccw may give you an additional attack, but you can't choose to use it instead of the special one.

Lord Azaghul
05-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Look at Color Stg Kell, If I recall correctly he has a powersword & and powerfist.

(he also had the added benefit of conveying ordered test on HIS leadership not the unit taking the test)

david5th
05-04-2010, 10:54 AM
1 - He uses the special weapon - Battle klaw, however he does not gain a bonus attack as power fist ( which is what the Battle klaw counts as ) requires a second power fist to get the bonus attack. :(

See page 42 MRB.

2- He can just keep getting up again and again. :)

lobster-overlord
05-04-2010, 12:38 PM
This then begs the question, why then does yarrick, or any character with a special weapon like Power Fist, CCW, or Thunderhammer, even have a set of secondary CCWs, if you CAN'T go down to basic attacks? That's just a curiosity question for me.

John m.

Tynskel
05-04-2010, 02:33 PM
This then begs the question, why then does yarrick, or any character with a special weapon like Power Fist, CCW, or Thunderhammer, even have a set of secondary CCWs, if you CAN'T go down to basic attacks? That's just a curiosity question for me.

John m.

Often this is the case that the Special Character model has the weapon modeled on them. GW for 5th Edition, is now listing all the equipment a model has. There have been a lot of complaints 'why can't I use the weapon that is clearly modeled on the model'.

For Example: Calgar has a Power Weapon and Gauntlets of Ultramar.

The model has the power weapon on it, even though previous editions of the game never listed the weapon.

The nice thing is, in some cases, this gives the owning player a choice.--- like Calgar can choose to use the power weapon or the Gauntlets of Ultramar in Close Combat. The rules, however, are a little klunky, and situations, like Yarrick, arise where there are weapons listed that one cannot use or would not use.

Commissar Lewis
05-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Ah, it may have been Kell I was thinking of that had the power sword and power fist. Sorry; sleeping schedule has been erratic at best lately.

But that is a good question: why can't a model opt to use less effective regular attacks? I don't think any opponent would care if Yarrick opted to not use his klaw, tbh. Least I don't think my group would care all that much.

Necrosis
05-04-2010, 09:10 PM
People are getting confused on the wording on page 42.

Under the rule if you attack with a normal weapon and a special weapon you use all the benefits of the special weapon. Yet I can still choose to attack with 2 normal weapons instead.

Dorsai
05-04-2010, 10:14 PM
My friend and I have been wondering something about Yarrick as well. If has only one wound left, takes three and fails the save on two, that would technically put at -1 wounds. So if he takes more wounds then he has, does it kill him, or do you still roll to see if the tough old ******* stands back up? I'm inclined to think the you only count down to zero and ignore other wounds.

Tynskel
05-04-2010, 11:32 PM
You apply all wounds first. Then the next imp guard turn is when you check to see if he gets up. p.63 C:IG

DarkLink
05-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Right, negative wounds is the same as zero wounds. There's no special consideration in the rules for negative wounds.

david5th
05-05-2010, 10:00 AM
People are getting confused on the wording on page 42.

Under the rule if you attack with a normal weapon and a special weapon you use all the benefits of the special weapon. Yet I can still choose to attack with 2 normal weapons instead.

Main rule book Feb 2010

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2030054_FAQ_40Krulebook_Feb2010.pdf

Page 42 – ‘A normal and a special weapon’, first
paragraph.
The second sentence should be changed to:
All of their attacks, including the bonus attack, use
the special weapon’s bonuses and penalties.

Where is the part about choosing how to attack?

Commissar Lewis
05-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Well, nonetheless it's good to know that Yarrick's Iron Will rule sort of operates like We'll Be Back. Makes him the very definition of Rasputinian Death and Made of Iron.

Then again, who in 40k DOESN'T fit the Made of Iron trope?

Necrosis
05-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Main rule book Feb 2010

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2030054_FAQ_40Krulebook_Feb2010.pdf

Page 42 – ‘A normal and a special weapon’, first
paragraph.
The second sentence should be changed to:
All of their attacks, including the bonus attack, use
the special weapon’s bonuses and penalties.

Where is the part about choosing how to attack?

Where does it say I have to use the special weapon?

I can still attack with two normal close combat weapons stated in page 42.

No where does it say a special weapon and a normal weapon overrides my ability to attack with two normal weapons.

david5th
05-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Where does it say I have to use the special weapon?

I can still attack with two normal close combat weapons stated in page 42.

No where does it say a special weapon and a normal weapon overrides my ability to attack with two normal weapons.

* In this theoretical attack, how is your model armed. Is it 2 normal weapons, 2 same special weapons, 1 norm and 1 special or 2 different specials. If its 2 normals then you get the extra attack but if its 1 norm and special then -

" All of their attacks, including the bonus attack, use the special weapon’s bonuses and penalties."

Has anyone mentioned that Yarrick has a bolt pistol so he has 2 normal cc weapons and a special cc weapon.

* You know that i may have answered my own question.

Apologises for any tone implied.

Necrosis
05-05-2010, 12:02 PM
* In this theoretical attack, how is your model armed. Is it 2 normal weapons, 2 same special weapons, 1 norm and 1 special or 2 different specials. If its 2 normals then you get the extra attack but if its 1 norm and special then -

" All of their attacks, including the bonus attack, use the special weapon’s bonuses and penalties."

Has anyone mentioned that Yarrick has a bolt pistol so he has 2 normal cc weapons and a special cc weapon.

* You know that i may have answered my own question.

Apologises for any tone implied.

Well then you could argue if you have two different special weapons and a normal weapon you don't get an extra attack. Page 42.

david5th
05-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Well then you could argue if you have two different special weapons and a normal weapon you don't get an extra attack. Page 42.

Choose which 2 to use - one of the specials and the normal one = " All of their attacks, including the bonus attack, use the special weapon’s bonuses and penalties."

Necrosis
05-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Choose which 2 to use - one of the specials and the normal one = " All of their attacks, including the bonus attack, use the special weapon’s bonuses and penalties."

Page 42

Two different special weapons
When it is their turn to attack, these models must choose which weapon to use that turn, but they never get the bonus attack for using two weapons (such is the penalty for wielding too many complex weapons).

david5th
05-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Which 2 of the 3 are they wielding?

Necrosis
05-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Lets start over cause we might both be getting confused.

Lets just say some crazy character has two different special weapons and two normal close combat weapons. What would happen?

david5th
05-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Lets start over cause we might both be getting confused.

Lets just say some crazy character has two different special weapons and two normal close combat weapons. What would happen?

As i see it they would have to chose which 2 of the 4 to use -

Either special weapon + normal weapon - "All of their attacks, including the bonus attack, use the special weapon’s bonuses and penalties."

Both normal cc weapons - gain one bonus attack without bonuses and penalties of special weapons.

Both different special weapons - When it is their turn to attack, these models must choose which weapon to use that turn, but they never get the bonus attack for using two weapons (such is the penalty for wielding too many complex weapons)

Am i right or wrong, i am too confused to tell.:confused:

Necrosis
05-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Okay so we agreement then.

david5th
05-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Okay so we agreement then.

Yes we are, as long as you that extra cc to give you the option to attack in what ever way you like.

I feel we should let some other people take part as the last 1 1/2 pages or so as been us going back and forth.:)

Commissar Lewis
05-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Not a problem, David. You and the other guy going back and forth has been civil and fairly informative.