PDA

View Full Version : assault marines with chaplain or priest

B-rock
05-03-2010, 06:22 PM
so i was wondering what people out there was thinking which is better

i believe that the priest is better, because the furious charge gives them a better roll to "wound".
What are "hits" if they don't wound.

so please commit and post and tell your view and reason why.

DarkLink
05-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Well, the number of attacks are the same. So lets compare the two:

Priest
Furious Charge means the Marines will be Str 5, I 5 on the charge. They hit on 4's, wound on 3's (we'll assume against T 4 models). That means that each attack will cause .33333 wounds, at I 5.

Chaplain
Rerolls to hit, but only hitting at I 4. They hit on 4's, with rerolls, and wound on 4's. That means each attack will cause .375 wounds, at I 4.

So the Chaplain actually causes more wounds than the Priest. However, the Priest lets the Marines hit at I 5. So if you're facing, say, other Marines, the Priest may be better due to the Initiative boost. On the other hand, fighting against, say, orks or genestealers (where the Initiative boost will have no effect), the Chaplain will do more damage.

B-rock
05-03-2010, 06:57 PM
i was looking at it competitively so against marines and IG and eldar so is the priest a bad choose

Schnitzel
05-03-2010, 07:00 PM
But you can't forget the FNP the priest brings. Not only will you kill more before they hit you, normally, but you also will take less wounds.

B-rock
05-03-2010, 07:02 PM
But you can't forget the FNP the priest brings. Not only will you kill more before they hit you, normally, but you also will take less wounds.
i think that alone is the real reason to take him over the chaplain

plus sometimes you dont have enought slots for all the chaplains you need and you get 3 priest for one slot and they are half the cost of chaplains

addamsfamily36
05-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Why not have both?

unless you have death company then it makes sense to have a chaplain with them. or a Hq reclusiarch (or however its spelt)

B-rock
05-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Why not have both?

unless you have death company then it makes sense to have a chaplain with them. or a Hq reclusiarch (or however its spelt)
well to put both to me is nothing but a points sinker

DarkLink
05-03-2010, 07:39 PM
You can just put the priest in a different squad. The Priest benefits all units within 6", so if your squads happens to wind up close to each other, they'll be even more deadly.

Schnitzel
05-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Personally I like throwing a Chaplain in an Honor Squad that has a Chapter Banner. Furious Charge, FNP, Rerolls to hit and +1 Atk. :D

B-rock
05-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Personally I like throwing a Chaplain in an Honor Squad that has a Chapter Banner. Furious Charge, FNP, Rerolls to hit and +1 Atk. :D
i like that idea i will look in to it

addamsfamily36
05-04-2010, 03:51 AM
well to put both to me is nothing but a points sinker

True but, if you have no death company, and you want to take a chaplain then he's got to go somewhere right?

Also Darklink makes a valid point about the radius. You could run one unit with a chaplain the other with a priest, and then you have one unit with both benefits yet separating the two models. (as long as you keep them in range of course)

As for the honor guard unit. they are fantastic its like getting a free priest :D , but due to their unit size limit of 5, its not long before they've been picked off so that might be something to consider.

Dantethegolden
05-04-2010, 09:39 PM
I've been using a Reclusiarch, due to his significantly better stat line, but I think I'm about to swap him out for a regular chappy. Why?

Well, points is one thing, but in a couple of games, I've been infuriated by the difficulty of getting my "independent character" Reclusiarch into base-to-base contact. Granted, this may be due simply to poor foresight on my part when it comes to model positioning, but I had one assault where other squads kept piling onto my death company (foolishly) but it kept my Rec. out of B2B. I think I'm gonna save myself 80-or-so points and try out the regular fella, since he'll always get to swing with the squad. Priests benefit from the same thing.