PDA

View Full Version : Space Marine Captain Wargear Question

pointed ears
05-03-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm starting up a Marine army and I have a question. Does a Storm Bolter count as a 2-handed weapon? I wanted to give my SM Captain a Storm Bolter and a Relic Blade. The codex says that the relic blade is a 2-handed weapon & negates additional attacks for having a pistol, which is fine. I just wanted to hear some opinions. Thanks

Necrosis
05-03-2010, 06:30 PM
I guess you could, seeing as you can take a Relic blade and a storm shield.

DarkLink
05-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Don't worry about it. Your model can carry as many weapons as it wants. This is 5th ed. The only effect that 2-handed vs one handed weapons have is that you cannot gain a bonus attack while using a 2-handed weapon in close combat.

pointed ears
05-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Thanks guys.

HellCrusader
05-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Give him a storm shield and artificer armour as well if you have the points to spare...He then has a 2+ a 3++
can move and shoot, and hits strength 6...

Tynskel
05-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Give him a storm shield and artificer armour as well if you have the points to spare...He then has a 2+ a 3++
can move and shoot, and hits strength 6...

The only way to get a gun on a captain that already has a Storm Shield and a Relic Blade is to take the Auxiliary Grenade Launcher.

Dingareth
05-05-2010, 02:26 PM
I'd rather not shoot and have a 3+ invul...

DarkLink
05-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Yeah, Storm Shields are better than Storm Bolters.

I mean, what was GW thinking when they priced vanilla THSS terminators. "Ok, so we'll take away the powerfist, and give them a better powerfist. Then we'll take away the storm bolter, and give them a storm shield."

"How much should that cost?"

"Dunno. The THammer is better than the power fist, and the Storm Shield is better than the Storm Bolter. And everything else is pretty much the same... let's let them do it for free."

"Sounds good to me."

Mycroft Holmes
05-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Yeah, Storm Shields are better than Storm Bolters.

I mean, what was GW thinking when they priced vanilla THSS terminators. "Ok, so we'll take away the powerfist, and give them a better powerfist. Then we'll take away the storm bolter, and give them a storm shield."

"How much should that cost?"

"Dunno. The THammer is better than the power fist, and the Storm Shield is better than the Storm Bolter. And everything else is pretty much the same... let's let them do it for free."

"Sounds good to me."

Assault Terminator boxes weren't selling all that snappy in 4rth Edition; most people who ran terminators would take 5man squads with 2 assault cannons. Making assault terminators so bad *** was an easy way to move these kits out the door.

Mycroft

Tynskel
05-07-2010, 04:52 PM
ya know, shooty terminators are different thing that assault terminators. 5 storm bolters plus a power weapon and 4 powerfist have essentially the same killing power and staying power of 5 THSS terminators. You can throw the THSS at large things or plasma squads, sure. But a large mob squad will die faster to regular terminators than they will to THSS terminators.

It all comes down to how you use them.

I do agree with the price hike in BA codex- that's because THSS terminators with FNP are redonkulous.

THSS terms also really need a transport, while shooty terms do not. There are a lot of factors going into terminator squads.

DarkLink
05-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Well, THSS Terminators can kill just about anything in the game. They're definitely worth at least that 5 extra points that Blood Angels THSS Terminators cost. I'm just saying they should have done that in the first place with the SM dex.