PDA

View Full Version : Time to paint and this happens? ;)

Lost Vyper
04-25-2016, 03:01 AM

Yep, had to make a picture of it, cos itīs better than thousand words, right? ;)

- LV

Psychosplodge
04-25-2016, 04:24 AM
The *******s. And then when you've been and fetched some more, you can't be arsed anymore right?

Lost Vyper
04-25-2016, 05:46 AM
Or wife/child/work...pick one...tomorrow i WILL get them in order, but will be playing 40k all day, so...Wednesday? ;)

Da Gargoyle
05-07-2016, 01:07 AM
Cue evil giggle - the wife likes to by GW buildings to paint and then lets them sit there with the undercoat done and maybe the beginnings of her colour scheme. So I talked her into doing her Daemon Gate and the first thing I heard was, this paint is dry. Now we are going shopping for some base colours and stuff.

Charon
05-07-2016, 03:53 AM
Simple solution: Do not buy GW paints.

Psychosplodge
05-08-2016, 02:56 PM
But then what would we have to complain about?

Path Walker
05-08-2016, 03:46 PM
All paints dry up when you don't store them correctly.

Cutter
05-09-2016, 08:37 AM
Simple solution: Do not buy GW paints.

They're okay if you used them before their invisible expiration date, and I think the contemporary pots are a vast improvement over the hard plastic white screw on lid pots of years past, most of my paint casualties have been those.

All paints dry up when you don't store them correctly.

True, but when the 25 year old pot of chaos black can be stirred back into life with a couple of swizzes of a kebab skewer from last nights chinese, and the 5 year old pot of black yields a solid lump, you know there is more to it than that.

Charon
05-09-2016, 10:26 AM
They're okay if you used them before their invisible expiration date, and I think the contemporary pots are a vast improvement over the hard plastic white screw on lid pots of years past, most of my paint casualties have been those.

Using Vallejo dropper bottles I have not run into any "dry out" issues at all.
Easier to close, easier to use and a lot easier to airbrush with while beeing cheaper, having better pigments and more ml.

grimmas
05-09-2016, 11:30 AM
Using Vallejo dropper bottles I have not run into any "dry out" issues at all.
Easier to close, easier to use and a lot easier to airbrush with while beeing cheaper, having better pigments and more ml.

Never had a dry with Vallejo either, but they are so disappointing after all the hype they get on forums. They don't seem to cover any better than GW ones and they change colour as they dry. I'm not particularly fussed either way about dropper bottle (they are better than the screw top ones GW used for a while) but that seems to be the only real issue whether one prefers them or not.

Path Walker
05-09-2016, 11:48 AM
I've had massive problems with vallejo solidifying in sealed (presumably, purchased online as new) bottles. Not a full on drying but it gets big solid lumps and the rest is watery liquid with barely any pigment.

Da Gargoyle
08-01-2016, 08:49 PM
I rather think GW is getting a bad rap. It depends on what colours you have as to how well they last. I still have bubonic brown in the 90's straight sided pot. I also still have viable colours in the old hexagonal pots with the white plastic flip lids, mithril silver, vermin fur, red gore and like that. But the mithril silver is the only metallic that does not seem to go all gluggy.

As well as some colours lasting longer, I think mine lasted longer when I learned to use a palette and reseal the pot immediately after taking the paint out onto the palette.

KhornishGameHen
08-02-2016, 01:40 PM
I've had some paints sitting around for quite some time now that are still doing well, usually a little bit of water brings them back to life if things are really bad.

I've got no gripes with the GW paints outside of their price for the amount of paint you get... but I enjoy the looks they give so I guess I'll pay for the convenience.