PDA

View Full Version : More questions from a new 40k player

Khiran
04-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Hay folks few more questions from a new 40k player (but fantasy veteran)

1. Cover Saves. Do you roll for your cover save first or your armour save?

2. Going to ground. If you have went to ground and are attaced druing the assault phase what happens?

3. Running. Can you shoot at troops who have run but not made it into close combat? Because if I read the rules correctly it states :Movemet, (six inches) Shooting (but can elect run, and its 1d6 inches) Then Assault (six inches) Now if they are not in contact with me for close combat can I still shoot at them?

4. I admit I am used to fantasy for war machines (empire mortar, cannon, Rock Lobber ETC) for guessd ranges. How do things Like morters or Earth SHaker cannons work in 40k?

As Always thanks for your time and patience.

Paul
04-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Hay folks few more questions from a new 40k player (but fantasy veteran)

1. Cover Saves. Do you roll for your cover save first or your armour save?

2. Going to ground. If you have went to ground and are attaced druing the assault phase what happens?

3. Running. Can you shoot at troops who have run but not made it into close combat? Because if I read the rules correctly it states :Movemet, (six inches) Shooting (but can elect run, and its 1d6 inches) Then Assault (six inches) Now if they are not in contact with me for close combat can I still shoot at them?

4. I admit I am used to fantasy for war machines (empire mortar, cannon, Rock Lobber ETC) for guessd ranges. How do things Like morters or Earth SHaker cannons work in 40k?

As Always thanks for your time and patience.

1) You take either an armor or cover save - not both.

2) You act normally, IIRC, including assault reactions and any Counter - Attack that might need to prosecute.

3) Yes, you may always shoot at enemy troops not engaged in close combat. Additionally, models without the "Fleet" rule may not assault after running.

4) You select a target, and roll scatter. There isn't much difference, except for Direct Fire weapons have the firer's BS subtracted from the scatter while Barrage weapons do not.

RampageRabbit
04-29-2010, 01:22 PM
I always wondered this too. Do you have to guess the range for Ordnance barrage weapons like Whirlwinds and Earthshakers or do you get to measure like you would normally?

sebi81
04-29-2010, 01:32 PM
you don't measure before shooting. you just put the template on the target.then you measure. if you're between minimal and maximal range, you roll to scatter. if you're not in range the template is taken away an doesn't hit anything.

Lord Azaghul
04-29-2010, 01:34 PM
Firing ord and barrage weapons is very simply.
You select your target,
place the blast/large blast over the model you want to shoot.
Measure for range.
Roll scatter and 2d6.

Its much more 'point and click' then fantasy, you don't actually have to declare the # of inches away you want to fire.

Khiran
04-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Yeah it sounds faster, and a whole lots deadlier looks like.

If its direct fire do you still subtract the ballistic score?

Paul
04-29-2010, 01:57 PM
Yeah it sounds faster, and a whole lots deadlier looks like.

If its direct fire do you still subtract the ballistic score?

Yes. You always subtract ballistic skill from direct-firing blast weapons.

Culven
04-29-2010, 02:09 PM
It is easier to just remember that BS is subtracted from the scatter of any Blast weapon if the target is in LOS. Barrage weapons don't need LOS, but gain the bonus if they do. Direct-fire weapons need LOS to the target, and gain the BS reduction.

Tynskel
04-29-2010, 02:09 PM
you also subtract BS with indirect fire, as long as the firer can get LOS of the target.

EDIT

Doh you beat me!

catalyst2
04-29-2010, 06:40 PM
@ Culven - just to clarify, is it correct that when a barrage weapon doesn't have LOS, the scatter works in full (i.e. the BS is not subtracted)? Votes at our club on this issue are split.

Culven
04-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Correct. It is the LOS to the target that allows the BS to be subtracted. Refer to page 32, "Barrage", third paragraph. This refers us to the Blast weapon rules on page 30 for the majority of the Barrage weapon rules. The third paragraph explains how the BS is subtracted, and none of the Barrage weapon rules modify this. The only thing related to this which is modified is the fourth bullet point under "Barrage" which explains that LOS isn't needed for Barrage weapons, but BS will not affect the scatter in this case.