PDA

View Full Version : Can a basilisk fire drectly?

Fanbouy
04-29-2010, 04:39 AM
Okay just as the title says. I was just wonderin seeing as there is no mention of it in the codex and there are no direct file distances in the codex.

Thanks in advance guys:D

TSINI
04-29-2010, 05:16 AM
I also noticed this

the basilisk entry makes no mention of being able to switch from direct to barrage.

even though the old rules used to, and the old fluff was always full of talk about it being used as a direct fire gun.

seems that this edition has no rules for it, so no, it can't, meaning it is stuck with that 36" blind spot :(

Fanbouy
04-29-2010, 05:38 AM
P 58 of the rule book is quoted as saying that ordanance barrage weapons can fire indirectly or directly and if it is fired directly u just drop the minimum range, does this rule apply to any and all ord barrage weapons?

TSINI
04-29-2010, 05:55 AM
gaddamn!! good spot mate, i havent got my rulebook on me so couldn't check,

but i did just have a funny feeling that you could opt to not fire it indirectly. because the griffon mortar has the special rule "may not fire directly", cheers for the reminder

so there we go, all indirect weapons / barrage weapons may opt to fire directly ignoring the minimum range and requiring line of sight.

unless they specifically say so.

Lord Azaghul
04-29-2010, 06:20 AM
There you go!

This is why a few of the IG choices aren't so hot, when you can't directly fire!
However Indirect fire is one of the reasons I love my bassies.

Culven
04-29-2010, 10:52 AM
so there we go, all indirect weapons / barrage weapons may opt to fire directly ignoring the minimum range and requiring line of sight.
This isn't correct. The "may fire directly" rule only applies to Ordnance Barrage weapons, not all Barrage Weapons. So, weapons such as Mortars can only fire indirectly, not that it usually matters since they don't have the minimum range issue.

Paul
04-29-2010, 11:48 AM
This isn't correct. The "may fire directly" rule only applies to Ordnance Barrage weapons, not all Barrage Weapons. So, weapons such as Mortars can only fire indirectly, not that it usually matters since they don't have the minimum range issue.

Good thing too!

"Alright, Skinker, turn that mortar towards the enemy."
"But sir-"
"JUST DO IT SOLDIER!"
"Sir, I -"
"Don't make me get a Commissar!"
"-sigh- Yes sir."
"FIRE"
*whump*
*screams*

BDub
04-29-2010, 12:13 PM
P 58 of the rule book is quoted as saying that ordanance barrage weapons can fire indirectly or directly and if it is fired directly u just drop the minimum range, does this rule apply to any and all ord barrage weapons?

You also have to have line of site to fire directly.

Paul
04-29-2010, 12:20 PM
You also have to have line of site to fire directly.

Truth. You have to have LOS, but it DOES reduce scatter. However, models being fired at directly IIRC get cover from the gun, instead of from the center-of-blast if they're behind a linear obstacle.

Culven
04-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Correct. This means that it is much easier for a unit to gain cover from direct-fire weapons at range than from Barrage weapons at range.

EnglishInquisition
04-29-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm pretty sure that mortars can fire directly, because they do reduce scatter if they can see the enemy they are shooting at.

Nabterayl
04-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Direct fire has nothing to with reducing scatter. To summarize:

Direct Fire

Available To: All regular blast weapons and ordnance barrage weapons, unless otherwise stated.
Can Be Used Against a Target In Line of Sight: Yes.
Can Be Used Against a Target Out of Line of Sight: No.
Reduces Scatter by Ballistic Skill if Target is in Line of Sight: Yes.
Cover Saves Measured From: The firer.
Vehicles Hit On The: Side of the vehicle facing the firer if a direct hit, or the side of the vehicle facing the central hole of the template, if a near miss.

Indirect Fire

Available To: All barrage weapons, including ordnance barrage weapons, unless otherwise stated.
Can Be Used Against a Target In Line of Sight: Yes.
Can Be Used Against a Target Out of Line of Sight: Yes.
Reduces Scatter by Ballistic Skill if Target is in Line of Sight: Yes.
Cover Saves Measured From: The central hole of the blast template.
Vehicles Hit On The: Side armor if a direct hit, or the side of the vehicle facing the central hole of the template, if a near miss.

Culven
04-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Nabterayl, for Direct Fire, I think that you mean: "Available To: All blast weapons, including Ordnance barrage weapons, unless otherwise stated". And for Indirect Fire, I believe that a non-Indirect Fire Barrage weapon is a contradiction in terms. If a weapon cannot fire indirectly, then it couldn't be a Barrage weapon.

Nabterayl
04-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Nabterayl, for Direct Fire, I think that you mean: "Available To: All blast weapons, including Ordnance barrage weapons, unless otherwise stated".
Ooh, so I do. Thank you for the correction. Edited.

And for Indirect Fire, I believe that a non-Indirect Fire Barrage weapon is a contradiction in terms. If a weapon cannot fire indirectly, then it couldn't be a Barrage weapon.
That's true, but that was among the points I was trying to make. I thought maybe stating it in this way would be helpful to people.