PDA

View Full Version : GW DOES do partwork (Well Black Library anyway)...

Denzark
04-14-2016, 04:50 AM
You know that thread Mr Mystery put out about GW doing partwork?

Well it turns out Black Library are going to do that. Some of the free gifts are pretty cool especially the Tankard.

Nothing more to say, check out the linky:

http://www.warhammer40klegends.com/

Mr Mystery
04-14-2016, 05:16 AM
Good Glayvin!

The Mystery-Stuff-Predictor-O-Matic kind of works!

Also the same company what do the Dredd Megacollection, which I also get (up to issue 35, I think. Quality is pretty good - I've only had one with a slightly ropey binding, and even then I think that's mostly thanks to the genius Postman leaving it in a puddle).

Dredd one is 80 issues at £9.99 a pop (and if there's any WWE fans out there, did you read the £9.99 the same way I did? If not, why not?)

Will give this one some consideration....mostly into my Warhammer/AoS fiction, but it does look awfully, awfully pretty.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, ok. I've signed up.

Denzark
04-14-2016, 05:20 AM
That were quick!

Mr Mystery
04-14-2016, 05:28 AM
I like Hachette, and I can always find room for more books. Format might be a little odd, but happy to work with it.

Plus, it kicks off with First Heretic, so seems a solid way for me to get all my Heresy ducks in a row, especially as they've now monkied about with the book size format. The sods. Hate that.

Oh, and Hachette when things go wrong? Junkie 'Tea Leaf' O'Crackhead in my old building used to like stealing post, including one set of my Dredd books. Hachette replaced them without any fuss.

- - - Updated - - -

Also....INB4BUTIOWNALLREADYWHYTHEYDOTHIS?

Hachette Partworks are sold in Newsagents. This means for possibly the first time ever, GW are reaching out to an incredibly casual market. It's been a long time since they were available, but I'm fairly sure Warhammer Monthly and Inferno! weren't sold outside of the usual places? Memory may be skewed as I only ever bought them in my local GW, thus I didn't exactly go looking for them elsewhere.

And as the background is the life blood of 40k.....interested to see how this goes.

Erik Setzer
04-14-2016, 08:56 AM
BLARGH.

The $15 every two weeks was already a bit of a "hmm" point, but maybe could have been okay, because the concept is cool, and those gifts look cool, and you can just imagine you're also paying for them. (It's more a thing of me having to remember X amount at certain points coming out of my budget, which is why I haven't grabbed any of the nerdy sub boxes yet, including Star Wars.)

But the big killer for me is that I don't live in the UK, so... can't do it. They don't deliver to the rest of Europe, much less America or elsewhere. Oh well.

Interesting idea, though. But really limited in audience.

Mr Mystery
04-14-2016, 08:59 AM
I dare say if it's successful, it will turn up elsewhere.

Certainly Australia now gets the Dredd Megacollection - and I think they're a few issues behind us?

May be a case of needing to find a distributor. In my plebby ignorance, I don't even know if partworks are common in the US?

Horncastle
04-14-2016, 09:17 AM
Sadly this is not available in Canada. I would love to subscribe to it if it ever comes across the pond.

Erik Setzer
04-14-2016, 09:21 AM
May be a case of needing to find a distributor. In my plebby ignorance, I don't even know if partworks are common in the US?

Hadn't heard of the concept/company before, but that could just be personal ignorance.

Is this anything like the old Inferno magazine? That'd be nice to have back.

Mr Mystery
04-14-2016, 10:28 AM
Seems to be predominantly existing Novels, rather than new stuff. But of course, that doesn't rule out collected forms of stuff previously only in Inferno!

If it helps, this is really like my Dredd collection, which is basically a curated cruise around the Dreddiverse, one which by the end will be pretty comprehensive. Rather than issued here in strict order of release, it's instead 'this is the best place to start, and issue 80 the logical place to wrap it up'.

And again, like the Dredd collection (same company behind it) there'll be editorial notes about each volume, the whys and wherefores of the story etc.

So even if you have all the books already, there's at least a small something here.

Path Walker
04-14-2016, 10:32 AM
They reprint existing material in hardcovers, two a month.

The do it with Judge Dredd (I have up after the first 5, I realised I already owned all the stories in other formats and it wasn't a good value proposition, but the quality was spot on) Marvel and DC Comics. This is the first time I've seen them do novels, but the concept is great, especially for newer fans.

Erik Setzer
04-14-2016, 11:18 AM
The extra notes would be kind of cool, but if it's existing stories, that's fine. I'm not much of a "collector" type so it'll be better (and cheaper) for me to just stick with buying the books in the selection I like. But for people who are collectors, this is an option.

Just make that Inquisitor tankard available separately. (Okay, I suppose when it comes to drinkware - particular for drinking beer or coffee/tea, I am a bit of a "collector," but I've also used every glass, mug, tankard, etc. I have.)

Mr Mystery
04-18-2016, 01:00 AM
Essential info for anyone looking to sign up, from the perspective of an existing customers of Hachetter.

1. Payment is collected every four week, not monthly. The next collection date is stated on the letter that comes with your volumes.

2. The collection is 'curated'. This means it's not any old release schedule, there's some forethought gone into which and when.

3. Volumes are not released chronologically! So if you've a hankering for things to always look right, you'll need to see this through from start to finish.

4. Hachette offer good customer service. Never had a problem in the 70 weeks I've been collecting the Dredd set.

Denzark
04-22-2016, 10:16 AM
I have received an email from Hachette - due to unprecedented demand they don't have sufficient stock and will be sending 1&2 free when available.

No mention of the gizzits though.

Sounds like it took off.

Mr Mystery
04-22-2016, 12:27 PM
I can vouch for that!

This sort of thing didn't happen with Dredd, you know :p

Erik Setzer
04-22-2016, 01:23 PM
This sort of thing didn't happen with Dredd, you know :p

Which could just mean that they were anticipating high demand for Dredd and ready for it, but didn't anticipate much demand for GW stuff and were surprised by it...

Mr Mystery
04-22-2016, 02:41 PM
I know, hence the smiley :p

Though the collection has only just been announced on Black Library's website (http://www.blacklibrary.com/newsfeed).

Could be Denzark and I have somewhat jumped the gun!

And whilst I'm here, the first five volumes are.....

First. Cue the appropriate music....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=omWD9sdoEWY

1. The First Heretic

2. Xenos

3. Warriors of Ultramar

4. 15 Hours

5. Horus Rising

Erik Setzer
04-23-2016, 08:14 AM
Hmm... I'm not sure I'm enough of a collector to spend that much on books I already have (and have read) just to look pretty on a shelf and maybe get some side commentary. But hey, there's a market for stuff like that, just like there's a market for $200 collector editions of video games. I'm sure other people aren't as into collecting mugs and drinking glasses (pint glasses, shot glasses, tankards, etc.) as I am, so I'm not gonna pass judgment. :D

Caedes
05-24-2016, 07:32 AM
(11:04:55) Visitor 75607292: Hi, I subscribed to this a month ago and haven't received anything yet. The dates given are that it started in April.
(11:08:26) Caedes: Hello?
(11:14:07) Caedes: Is anyone there?
(11:15:29) *** Chera-Lee joined the chat ***
(11:15:48) Chera-Lee: Good day Martin Thank you for taking the time to write to us. This collection was a test that has now come to an end. You will each receive free issues as a token of appreciation. If/when it launches nationally you will receive benefits of being part of the test group. If you require any additional information, please feel free to contact us. Kind regards Chera-lee du Plessis Customer Care Please advise if any of your personal details have changed recently, such as contact numbers, address details or e-mail address. Should one or more of these details not have been provided previously, please add them to your next e-mail. This will ensure that we can contact you efficiently in future.
(11:29:32) Caedes: So let me get this right, the website, the subscription and the product being offered on the website are not real products but are there purely to gather peoples details including card information? You did gather actual payment details as part of your 'test', the website is still up and shows a number of differing payment options. You do realise how dodgy this sounds right?
(11:59:06) Caedes: hello?
(12:02:21) Chera-Lee: Hi Martin This was just a test.We apologise for the inconvenience.
(12:05:23) Caedes: So was the test being run by hachette?
(12:09:45) Chera-Lee: Hi Martin, This was a test run by Hachette.
(12:11:23) Chera-Lee: Taking your payment details was just to authenticate the subscription however no payment will be debited from your account and as soon as the collection is launched nationally you dont have to update your details again.
(12:21:10) Caedes: I don't know if you can pass on feedback but this should have been a lot more honest in it's presentation, as it is I feel like this is fraudulent. Not a great way to introduce Hachette to new customers.
(12:24:23) Chera-Lee: The feedback will be forwarded to the relevant department.

Just thought some might be interested in this transcript of my conversation with Hachette regarding the 'subscription' I thought I had taken out.

Mr Mystery
05-24-2016, 07:48 AM
I got the same thing.

But again, I'd like to vouch for Hachette - never had problems with them on the Dredd Megacollection that they haven't sorted out quickly and without fuss.

Erik Setzer
05-24-2016, 08:31 AM
A "test?" How does that work? What, did GW ask them to put together some fake product images and descriptions and run a "test" to see if there was enough demand to even bother doing it, without informing people it was such a thing?

The whole thing sounds like a giant facepalm-worthy example of marketing ineptitude. Seriously, someone at that company needs to get their butts in line and start coming up with cohesive plans. Seems they've been trying to throw things at a brick wall lately to see what sticks.

Hopefully for the sake of people who expected to be signing up for this service, something will come of it. At the very least, some swag from BL.

Psychosplodge
05-24-2016, 09:29 AM
That sounds like an amazing way to piss off your customers.

Mr Mystery
05-24-2016, 10:32 AM
Well, we're promised free issues and that, and we've not actually paid a penny.

Think I'll email Black Library, see if they can shine any light.

And I've emailed BL. Thing is, from the previous posts, I don't think it's a dead project - but then, Hachette's response is a bit, well, muddled and unclear.

Though being a French company, it could be peep on the other end (I got the same lass) is just following a flawed script. Hard to tell!

Erik Setzer
05-24-2016, 10:54 AM
I think it was a test run to see what the interest level was like.

The interest likely would be higher (and more likely for GW to jump on board) if they weren't limiting it to UK. I suppose I get why it's limited, but that's taking a niche audience and making it even more niche, which isn't good for getting a lot of subs.

Mr Mystery
05-24-2016, 11:01 AM
Nothing new for Hachette there, to be fair. They do Marvel, DC, Dredd/Megacity One and now, well, sort of, ish, we think, maybe, perhaps but then perhaps not, 40k.

All only in the UK, Europe and The Antipodes.

Could be licensing issues.

Erik Setzer
05-24-2016, 12:05 PM
Yeah, but that just doesn't leave much audience. I suppose you could expect GW to catch on a bit more in the UK, but has that really been advertised much of anywhere? Obviously not in GW stores, since they seem to have a policy not to advertise licensed products lest they end up competing with said products for your money. (Total War seems to be an exception, which is kind of weird, since TW is going to attract a lot of people interested in a world that doesn't exist any more.)

Mr Mystery
05-24-2016, 12:24 PM
Hmm...was expecting my next issues of the Dredd series last weekend, still no sign.

Erik Setzer
05-24-2016, 12:54 PM
Quick search of the news shows a combination of Hatchette having a pretty notable sales decline in Q1 and making deals across the globe to apparently expand their reach. So there might be some corporate issues going on affecting the Dredd stuff and the BL stuff.

Mr Mystery
05-24-2016, 01:02 PM
Worrying. I hope they've not overextended and wound up deep in the red.

Got nothing to base that on, yo. Just a bit of paranoia that my Dredd collection might be forever unfinished at 35 issues of 80.

Erik Setzer
05-25-2016, 07:45 AM
Hopefully it's not long-term bad news. Maybe partnerships worldwide would let them bring the 40K stuff to a wider audience, making it a more feasible idea? That'd be nice.

Mr Mystery
05-25-2016, 07:49 AM
I've contacted them via email to ask about Dredd.

That, coupled with the oddities of this project have seriously got me worried.

I know it's most likely nothing and all perfectly innocent, but welcome to my head!

Psychosplodge
05-25-2016, 07:54 AM
They're not connected to Polestar are they? They've just closed a massive printing factory near us that used to produce those weekly monthly collectables comics, magazines etc
If they are they might be needing a new printer.

Mr Mystery
05-25-2016, 07:58 AM
That, I do not know....

Guess I'll have to wait for Hachette to tell me what's happening with Dredd, and/or BL to get back to me about this one :(

In fact, come to think of it, the bloke in the ground floor flat works on the Draw The Marvel Way set....wonder if he might know something?

Mr Mystery
05-25-2016, 11:21 PM
Panic not!

Dredd volumes have shown up, so less worry :)

'The Life and Crimes of P.J. Maybe' is particularly ace!

Denzark
05-26-2016, 10:54 AM
Warhammer Legends website today saying: 'Sorry we're no longer taking subscriptions but leave us your email address and we'll be in touch when we have more news'.

Well that's a bit crap.

Denzark
05-27-2016, 11:08 AM
What I am about to paste sms like the latest information from Hachette. So, if I read correctly this is going ahead from next week....

Hello,

First of all, thank you for your interest in the Warhammer 40,000 Legends Collection and we would like to apologise for the lack of communication over the last few weeks.

As part of our publication process, we test a new title in a given area in order to gauge the level of interest to decide whether the collection will be launched nationally.

The response to Warhammer 40,000 Legends Collection has been extremely positive and as a result we have received many more subscribers than expected. Due to news of the collection spreading so fast we have received a lot of subscribers outside of the test area including your own subscription and we have not had enough stock available to immediately fulfil these orders.

We have had to wait for stock to be returned from retail stores to be able to fulfil orders and this unfortunately takes longer than we would have liked.

We will be sending you issue 1 free of charge next week and we are expecting stock to be returned over the course of the next few days which will enable us to also send you issue 2 free of charge. Please be assured that you will not have been charged anything for the test run.

We are really sorry for this delay and our lack of communication, but hope that you will enjoy the books when they arrive and we hope to have some good news soon concerning a full national roll out of the collection.

Many thanks.
Hachette Partworks Ltd.

Mr Mystery
05-27-2016, 12:14 PM
Hmm.

It's not dead then. Just a massively successful test, which will be repeated?

Hmmmmmmm.

Van Jorvik
05-27-2016, 02:14 PM
I do wonder what will happen with the free gifts they were offering.

Mr Mystery
06-05-2016, 06:21 AM
Well, just 'nipped' to the post office to grab a mystery parcel....and it was my two free issues!

Got The First Heretic and Xenos.

Books are pretty much the same size as your average GW hardback novel, but without dust jackets. Paper stock is good, and Xenos features some colour art pages, showing off stuff from the forthcoming Eisenhorn pootery game.

Hoping they'll do the full series - nicely produced books, and a reasonable price at £9.99 each.

Denzark
06-22-2016, 01:59 PM
So, a small update. My free issues arrived (at my parents). It is First Heretic and Xenos - although one says issue 1 on the back, and the other says 70! There is 1 magazine, a letter thanking me for taking part in a small 4-issue subscription run, and a second letter thanking me for my full subscription and telling me of the free gifts I'll get.

All in all I reckon they massively underestimated the take up of the geeks of 40k and hachette have made a hash of it.

Mr Mystery
06-23-2016, 07:10 AM
It is possible. £10 for a BL hardback is surprisingly a very good price.

Finished reading Xenos now. Cracking read, and the book itself is of decent quality!

Denzark
08-24-2016, 05:50 AM
Super excited - email today:

Hello,

As a subscriber to the test run of the Warhammer 40,000 Legends Collection, we would like to share some exclusive news with you.

The Warhammer 40,000 Legends Collection will be launching nationally on the 7th of September and will feature a brand new spine artwork commissioned especially for the launch!

As a fan of Warhammer 40,000 and having subscribed to our test-run, we are happy to confirm that your subscription has been reactivated.

As a thank you for your support and patience, you will receive your first despatch of issues 1 and 2 free of charge by mid-September along with your Aquila Notebook and Map of the Imperium of Mankind. You will also receive issue 3 for free with issue 4 in your 2nd dispatch.

We hope that you enjoy the collection!

Hachette Partworks Ltd.