PDA

View Full Version : There was a green one, and a green one and a green one and a green one!

Mr Mystery
04-10-2016, 12:48 PM
Orcalicious new models just spotted.

Sorry the pics are such ropey quality - I've pinched them off the AoS Facebook Group, so not my doing! (Looks like Lady Atia is the original source, so all credit etc)

Ready?

- - - Updated - - -

In addition to the Megaboss, I'm spying new Cavalry and new heavy infantry of some kind.

Kirsten
04-10-2016, 01:04 PM
via reds8n (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/1110/683422.page#top) dakkadakka 4-18-2016

18146 18147
18148 18149
18150 18151
18152 18153

----------------------Original Post Below-----------------------------

nice

Mr Mystery
04-10-2016, 01:04 PM
Nearly destroyed me eyes to read part of the Maw-Krusha rules...

If at the end of its attacks there's no enemy models within 3", it can do another charge. Rinse and repeat until it's not wiped out everyone within 3".

And it can fly....Defo not a Wyvern though, not by the look of things?

Asymmetrical Xeno
04-10-2016, 01:51 PM
Nice, so this is our first glimpse of a new AoS orc faction, interesting. Would be curious to see clearer pics of the maw krusha thing. Would probably never collect orcs but still intrigued to see more.

Mr Mystery
04-10-2016, 01:58 PM
Looks to me like Black Orcs remain, and gain Cavalry and some kind of 'Eavier Infantry.

Mr Mystery
04-10-2016, 02:12 PM
Time for a non-blurred-to-buggery pic, albeit a painting rather than photo.

Looks like Khul is having a really, really bad day!

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-10-2016, 02:22 PM
Wing arms? Still a wyvern

Mr Mystery
04-10-2016, 02:25 PM
Not as sinuous as a Wyvern. Quite possibly a sub-breed/species?

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-10-2016, 02:47 PM
It will just be Games Workshop's way of trademarking a name, but to all intents and purposes it's cryptozoologic class would still be a Wyvern

Insert_nickname_here
04-10-2016, 03:16 PM
Looking at the MegaBoss rules, it looks like the armoured orcs may be called brutes. Strange choice in the current climate of copyrightable names. Still, all shows potential so far, looking forward to clearer pictures.

Brakkart
04-10-2016, 04:20 PM
All looking good, will have to see if I can Savage up one of those Wyverns as wanna keep my Orruk army with its stone age theme if possible.

Mr Mystery
04-11-2016, 12:55 AM
All looking good, will have to see if I can Savage up one of those Wyverns as wanna keep my Orruk army with its stone age theme if possible.

Will need to see if I can get pics of my Savage Orc Wyvern. It's in my local store's display cabinet, and has been for like, 8 years or so (how time flies!)

Base is the High Elf Dragon. Forearms left off, tail and head from the old Wyvern Kit (pre-Azhag one). Warboss is strapped in under the neck with just his feets sticking out one end, the other from the shoulders up. Stops him getting over excited and jumping off, innit.

Erik Setzer
04-12-2016, 10:18 AM
Great conversion material for 40K, but as fantasy Orcs go, they feel off. Not just because GW's recent run of beasts look messy and like the work of junior sculptors* (because they probably are). Nah, the Wyvern (and oh yeah, it's totally a Wyvern) isn't looking good here, albeit maybe just the photos. But the Orcs themselves feel just "wrong."

Bigger Orcs? Okay, fine. Age of Biggening means they have to be bigger... though the fluff is annoying because suddenly Black Orcs lost what made them special (being the biggest breed of Orcs).

It's the armor. Small parts of it, like the iron gob, feel right. But there's too much smooth armor that looks like it's designed to mimic Sigmarine armor. That just seems so peculiar to see on Orcs. I'm not one for the concept that Orcs are just mindless savages (hated when 3rd edition 40K briefly made people think that of Orks), but I love their stuff looking like it's kind of cobbled together.

Maybe they'll look better close up. I hope so. The Megaboss will be a 40K Megaboss, certainly. Barely even have to convert him. The rest might at least be conversion material. They might be solid, if the shots look better, but the art still feels off, and it's the best we have to go on.

Feels weird to see Orcs and not feel excited. (And no, it's not just because they're AoS Orcs. I've got a bunch of Orcs I hadn't assembled yet that I put on round bases to have an AoS Orc army. They're just kind of playing second fiddle to the Dwarfs and combined Nurgle/Pestilens I'm working on.)

*Sorry, I'm never going to like creatures with messy anatomy, angles where there should be curves, and way too much of an attempt to look like D&D 3E dragons. I'd also like to see them try something other than a lizard. The big beasties are my biggest pet peeve with the current sculpting team, especially as we know from the past GW can do so much better.

Trojan66
04-13-2016, 01:10 PM
Completely agree with Eric. I believe that the 40fication of fantasy is all part of the plan and that we are moving quickly to an age of just one game. It's a logical step for GW to take...why make customers choose which toys to buy when they can put all their eggs in the same basket.
I really don't like these figures. I thought the orcs were going to be more savage and bestial...disssapointed again.

Mr Mystery
04-13-2016, 01:25 PM
As others have commented on the front page, it's kind of hard to tell from the pics, particularly given the lairy paintjob - Yellow Orcs is very much a 40k association, as Fantasy Orcs tend to be a far darker palette for the most part.

As for them being biggerer than Black Orcs, that's something definitely more 40k. Warhammer Orcs never had the sliding scale of bigness in their range. Been a long time since we had specific models for Big'uns. Background wise they've been the same - the longer you don't get perished, the bigger you get, only stalling when someone krumps you into line.

These guys? From the dodgy photos, they look to be Black Orc Big'uns equivalent. Orcs that have fought and got bigger as a tribe, where even their basic Boyz are Black Orcs.

Asymmetrical Xeno
04-13-2016, 01:28 PM
yeah, I think the models would look better with a more brown or black scheme, yellow doesnt feel very fantasyish to me..look forward to seeing more as it will of been 3 full weeks of no new miniatures.

grimmas
04-13-2016, 02:16 PM
Yep bright yellow doesn't say fantasy to me. I do like a heavily armoured Orruk though. I'll wait to get look at it before I make any judgement

Also there ain't to much different between basic Ork boyz and basic Orruk boys at the moment anyway and it's pretty much their armaments.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-14-2016, 02:27 AM
This is Age of Sigmar though, not Warhammer Fantasy. Tell the many coloured Stormcast that they aren't correct for the setting.

Mr Mystery
04-14-2016, 02:53 AM
You may regret typing that :p

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-14-2016, 03:00 AM
No, because I just ignore long posts as I assume they're not making any relevant point.

grimmas
04-14-2016, 03:06 AM
Well the Stormcasts have recieve a bit of stick for that in some quarters. Not from me though as I had no frame of reference for them as they were a new thing. Yellow armoured Orks just say Bad Moons to me you'll have to excuse my indoctrination on that it has be 25+ years or so. Of course I might change my mind after seeing a few more pictures it is early days and the photo I've seen is a a bit blurry and it is possible there's more to the paint job than just YELLOW

Mr Mystery
04-14-2016, 03:08 AM
I'm most interested to see that painted in pig iron metal type colour, with maybe a hint of rust or verdigris type ageing/weathering. Never really been a fan of 'clean' Orcs/Orks/Orruks.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-14-2016, 03:11 AM
But then you could say the same for Red, Blue or Black Orcs/Orruks. And most Orc/Orruk armies that I have seen have been red or black, unless they are Savage of course.

grimmas
04-14-2016, 03:11 AM
Yeah, surely no self respecting Orc/Ork/Orruk polishes their armour.

Mr Mystery
04-14-2016, 03:13 AM
But then you could say the same for Red, Blue or Black Orcs/Orruks. And most Orc/Orruk armies that I have seen have been red or black, unless they are Savage of course.

Dunno. There's something I consider 'unorcy' about a bright Yellow. Just one of those things, I guess.

Neutral, earthy tones sit well with me though.

As for polishing? Probably a Gobbo did it as a prank.

grimmas
04-14-2016, 03:18 AM
It'll be interesting how they go with the Orruk/Gobbo dynamic. They always seem to be much more distinct in WFB than in 40K with Goblin only tribes being quite common rather than just being the Orcs servants

Mr Mystery
04-14-2016, 03:26 AM
Defo Gobbo only tribres - there's a particularly cool example in God Beasts....that actually save the day, in inimitable Gobbo fashion ;)

Kirsten
04-14-2016, 03:29 AM
yeah I don't like the yellow armour either, want to see them in normal metal colours

Mr Mystery
04-14-2016, 04:18 AM
Also piques my interest for what Ogres might get....

We've got some impressive models already, but are in dire need of plastic characters. Because right now? We don't have any.

And my lads aren't being lead around by no Orc! No sir!

Asymmetrical Xeno
04-14-2016, 04:32 AM

We've got some impressive models already, but are in dire need of plastic characters. Because right now? We don't have any.

And my lads aren't being lead around by no Orc! No sir!

A lot of the new (old) factions only really need a few things like that to bring them in line with armies like bloodbound and fyreslayers anyway.

Also I wish more people painted orcs in skin colours other than green. Always thought grey and crimson looked really good personally.

Mr Mystery
04-14-2016, 04:42 AM
Weirdo!

We'z Greenskinz! We can't even spell uvver Kolours!

Psychosplodge
04-14-2016, 04:45 AM
Maybe this is the "Yellow era"...

Kirsten
04-14-2016, 04:50 AM

We've got some impressive models already, but are in dire need of plastic characters.

yeah, hard to convert plastic characters too with all the infantry being in the same walking forward pose. I built my ogre tyrant from a de-furred minotaur, and bragg the gutsman from the ironblaster crew member who actually has his feet spread standing still. other than that, very few choices

Erik Setzer
04-14-2016, 09:09 AM
Yellow paint job doesn't bug me. It's more that the armor itself - again, from what we can see - feels in places like a weird mix of clunky Orc armor and "clean" (in terms of smooth, curved, stuff like that) armor like you'd expect on a Stormcast. I really like the idea of Orcs/Orks having armor they've smashed together without having the same kind of "pure" smithing skills other races have. And while this is "Age of Sigmar," the full title is WARHAMMER: Age of Sigmar, and they kept the old Orcs around, so it's fair to make comparisons.

40kGamer
04-14-2016, 09:22 AM
I've really been enjoying the large AoS kits but just don't love these guys... maybe they'll look better in something besides a Bad Moonz colour scheme.

Path Walker
04-14-2016, 10:28 AM
Black Orc armour had curves. It had the odd patch, scratch and ding but otherwise it was clean, manufactured armour. The Armour on these looks pretty similar to the current Black Orc sets but painted yellow. These are the Irowjaw Orruks, the replacement for Black Orcs.

grimmas
04-14-2016, 10:45 AM
I can't really see the scale but after putting my Slaughter Priest next to the rest of my army I'm expecting a monster of an Orruk.

Mr Mystery
04-14-2016, 02:17 PM
I reckon somewhere around Ogre sized?

As for curved armour...been thinking, and surely acutely angled armour is actually far harder to make? The shape inherently weakens certain areas, and once cooled you're largely stuck with the shape. Curved plate however doesn't have as many naturally weak areas, and can more readily be squeezed into a better shape (I've done that at LARP. Count Vulten's Greaves got a wee bit flattened during transport to the site. He held it, I squeezed it into a comfortable position (stop tittering at the back. This is a SRS THREAD, for SRS PEEPUL!)

And acutely angled armour would also require more advanced tools than your standard hammer and anvil?

grimmas
04-14-2016, 03:02 PM
You could do acutely angled armour with an anvil by using the straight edged corners on the body to form the crease or by welding two plates togeather to form the corner. It is far easier to make curved armour though if you hit a piece of metal hard enough with an object that doesn't completely cover it it will bend and curve. To make a crude piece of curved armour you don't even need an anvil you can do it with a hammer and a leather bag filled with sand or a tree stump with a suitable dent in it. If you went really crude you could probably manage it just on the ground. Of course the forming of the armour isn't the biggest stumbling block it's being able to manufacture metal plates which take a bit of doing.

The other problem with angled armour is that it won't actually fit any part of the body human, Orruk or otherwise we're all curvy.

Mr Mystery
04-14-2016, 03:22 PM
Speak for yourself. I'm not curvy. Im just a fat git! :p

But yeah - angled armour is harder to make than curved.

Mr Mystery
04-16-2016, 04:13 AM
The Maw Crusha, seemingly it's not a Wyvern....18110

Erik Setzer
04-16-2016, 09:11 AM
Realistically, it's just an AoS-ified Wyvern. But since they're still selling Orcs on classic Wyverns, they need to make a distinction.

It's like saying, "No, this isn't an Orc! It's an Orruk! Totally different thing! See the armor?" Nah, still an Orc. (Also, I just realized playing "Shadow of Mordor" - hey, I'm late to the party, whatever - that they just took Middle-Earth's "Uruk" and slightly changed it. So much for the names being an attempt at originality...)

Insert_nickname_here
04-18-2016, 05:43 AM
I've always felt wyvern was a very un-orcy word. Back in the day when anyone could ride a wyvern it was less of an issue, but they have been pretty exclusively orcs for quite some time now.

And, as you say Erik, it's a wyvern. It might be a different shape of wyvern, the way that a humming bird and an eagle are 2 different types of birds, but it's still a wyvern.

grimmas
04-18-2016, 06:33 AM
Shamelessly nicked off Facebook

And apparently everything is massive the Maw Krusha is bigger than the Fyreslayer's Magmadon thingy.

Mr Mystery
04-18-2016, 06:38 AM
Defo not a Wyvern!

Really liking the Brutes, Cavalry and Shaman. Megaboss though....it's that Skull on the shoulder.

grimmas
04-18-2016, 06:49 AM
It's plastic just lop it off

Brakkart
04-18-2016, 06:49 AM
Some more images shamelessly pinched off Facebook:

I am loving the Maw Krusha and the more armoured mega-boars. Not keen on that shaman though.

Asymmetrical Xeno
04-18-2016, 08:14 AM
Thats a lot of stuff! Sure makes up for the past boring three weeks of no models.

----
https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/687

This weeks releases with prices, thanks @ Archibald_TK

"- Maw-Krusha (1 model) 90€ / £65 / $110
Comes with either a Megaboss or Gordrakk the Fist of Gork on top. Apparently the Krusha itself has two heads options. Few aesthetic differences overall.

- Gore-Gruntas (3 models) 67€ / £48 / $79
Huge Boar riders. They are... different? You have to see them for yourselves but I fear they will not be that well received. It appears that those are not 3 different models, but two, one of them being repeated twice. No weapons options and they really all look similar.

- Brutes (5 models) 42€ / £30 / $50
Heavier than Black Orcs, can be built with either two weapons or a two handed one.

- Megaboss 34€ / £24 / $40

- Weirdnob Shaman 28€ / £20 / $33

- Warchanter 26€ / £18.5 / $30

- Ardboys (15 models) 45€ / £32 / $53
Repackaged Black Orcs with round bases.

- Battletome Ironjawz (128p) 28€ / £20 / $33
14 Warscrolls and Battalions

- Grand Alliance Destruction (112p) 14€ / £10 / $16.5
12 factions, 61 Warscrolls, minus at least 7 for the Ironjaws that's 54 remaining for the old range, place your bets."

--------------

I am interested to see what the 12 destruction forces will be,

Kirsten
04-18-2016, 08:32 AM
Oooh i want those, must stay strong...

Asymmetrical Xeno
04-18-2016, 08:37 AM
Oooh i want those, must stay strong...

Perhaps paint up those knights first?

Kirsten
04-18-2016, 08:40 AM
I am trying to cut down generally, not keep adding :p

Asymmetrical Xeno
04-18-2016, 08:43 AM
I am trying to cut down generally, not keep adding :p

We really ought to start a self-help group, similar to those ones alcoholics go to but for plastic crack.

Kirsten
04-18-2016, 08:46 AM
If I clear out a lot of my existing stuff i might pick up some bits. At least AoS encourages small factions, I can combine odds and ends i like

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-18-2016, 09:10 AM
@Mystery

It still has two winged arms so it is still classed as a wyvern. xD

grimmas
04-18-2016, 09:20 AM
If I clear out a lot of my existing stuff i might pick up some bits. At least AoS encourages small factions, I can combine odds and ends i like

Great isn't it? I've finally been putting all sorts of stuff I've impulse bought over the years to good use. I reckon a unit of those Brutes with fit in somewhere. It's almost as if they planned it that way 😊

Kirsten
04-18-2016, 09:25 AM
Yeah

Brakkart
04-18-2016, 09:58 AM
Warchanter:

Kinda looks like he's ground crew for an Orruk airfield to me.

Path Walker
04-18-2016, 10:09 AM
The shaman is awesome, a must buy to paint even if i wasn't going to play with the Orruks (which I am), the Maw Krusha is cool as well as well. The Megaboss is potentially cool, but I think the bright colouring is washing out the definition of the armour, I think it'll look much better in the "flesh". I got the Deathbringer with the spear at the weekend, might have to start a Bloodbound army now because he looks so cool.

Mr Mystery
04-18-2016, 10:28 AM
@Mystery

It still has two winged arms so it is still classed as a wyvern. xD

Yeah, but Dinner Ladies have bingo wings, and they're not classified as Wyverns?

Path Walker
04-18-2016, 11:12 AM
I am interested to see what the 12 destruction forces will be,

Looking at the Destruction Keywords:

Orruks are split into Greenskinz, Ironjaws, Bonesplittas, Gitmob, Moonclan and Spiderfang

Ogors are divided into: Gutbusters and Beastclaw

You also have Gargantz who have Aleguzzlers

Troggoth who have Fellwater and Sourbreath and Rotgut

That covers 12, if you count the 3 Troggoth factions as seperate

Mr Mystery
04-18-2016, 11:45 AM
Wonder if anything will be removed from sale?

Brakkart
04-18-2016, 12:02 PM
Wonder if anything will be removed from sale?

Anything that's in Finecast or metal will be I reckon, which is a load of the Ogre line and a fair chunk of the Orcs & Gobbos too. If the other big clearances are anything to go by, the named characters are sure to be moved to Last Chance.

Mr Mystery
04-18-2016, 12:08 PM
Sabretusks - quite possibly.

Ogre Characters? Surely not all of them. All Finecast, but would mean no Character models available.

Gnoblar Trappers - largely superfluous now anyway.

Oh....Maneaters?

Erik Setzer
04-18-2016, 12:12 PM
Thoughts upon seeing the new items:

Megaboss: Still like him as conversion material, and he's a proper leader model for a fantasy army, too. Big guy.
Shaman: Didn't like him until I pictured his eyes and mouth painted to look "glowing" like he's about to vomit forth energy, which would explain the convulsions, and then I liked it. Also, he must be named "Tim."
Air Field Controller: I don't care what he is, I want to add lights on his batons and use him with my Blood Axes. Or add frilly ends and have a Blood Bowl Orc cheerleader.
"Boyz": Look a lot better than the art would have suggested. Armor isn't too smooth. Seal of approval.
Wyve- Er, Maw Krusher: Still not sure on this one. Need to see it in person, I think. So far their lizard-creatures haven't really impressed me.
Boar Riders: OH DEAR GOD WHAT IS THAT THING KILL IT WITH FIRE KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT DIE ABOMINATION!!!! Ahem. Yeah, they're terrible. The interns they have sculpting creatures need to just stop. Lizards were rough enough, but clearly they've got problems with hair, and CAD seems to be compounding the issue.

So most of them look nice. That's cool. Still a bit large and that feels wrong, but eh... everything's bigger in Warhammer: Age of Compensating. (Except the old models that are still being used, like the Pestilens I just assembled who, while being nice sized in WFB, feel way too small now. That's going to create an issue with how the game looks in time.)

Then I get to the price.

*Sigh.*

Well, for one brief, shining moment, I was excited. And then they remind me that they still haven't learned their lesson and think price gouging is okay because they produce the "best" models around (to which I have to issue a harsh, judgmental laugh, especially upon seeing those fur-beast-abominations). They just packaged Space Marine characters in an ultra-discount pack because their best-selling army can't move characters for $30 each, and they want me to pay $33 for a Shaman? Forget that! I'll use the five or six I have, and when I'm not at a GW store, I'll use a great looking model I paid a lot less for from a competitor.

I love Orcs, but I'm not sure I'll be getting these. I can't justify paying what I know is way more than I should be paying. Meh. Thanks for killing my enthusiasm, Rountree.

(Related: This nonsense is why I don't give them credit for a "new direction" with the Knight game box, or Marine bundles.)

Asymmetrical Xeno
04-18-2016, 12:28 PM
thanks for that, guessing troggoths are trolls then. I think the range looks good except for the boars and yellow armour colour, the large monster is cool. I'd definitely like to see someone do the with crimson or grey skin though, never liked green for orcs generally though. war paint effects might look good on them too.

guessing you dont have a site like dark sphere where you live then? I find the prices somewhat tollerable with the 25% off discounts, these days otherwise I tend to just stick to ebaying the boxed game models for the most part.

Mr Mystery
04-18-2016, 12:36 PM
I kinda like the Gruntas.

They look like a Squig surprised a Sow....

Erik Setzer
04-18-2016, 12:40 PM
The concept might not be a bad idea, but the execution to me looks truly awful. It stands out even more because the riders look pretty good and the rest of the line is pretty solid. (Again, reserving full judgment on the Maw-Krusha, because I could see it going either way.)

grimmas
04-18-2016, 12:42 PM
I'm loving the size of the AoS releases, big stuff is big and little stuff is little. Yep piddly little Skaven just as they should be. It was always one of the problems with 40K the fact that the Guard models got too ruddy big, everything else works well but for the stupidly big humans.

Mr Mystery
04-18-2016, 12:54 PM
The concept might not be a bad idea, but the execution to me looks truly awful. It stands out even more because the riders look pretty good and the rest of the line is pretty solid. (Again, reserving full judgment on the Maw-Krusha, because I could see it going either way.)

To each their own. I think they look the part. Somewhere between a Boar, and a Mournfang. Nice and bulky and solid :)

Erik Setzer
04-18-2016, 01:26 PM
I might actually get some Mournfangs to convert. Seems these Orcs are about the right size to ride them.

The prices are bumming me even more as I think about them. If I wanted to get one of each character, two boxes of the Boyz, and a Maw-Krusha, it'd be over $300, and all I'd have to show for my efforts are 14 models, all but one of them being infantry. Add a box of the cavalry and it's $400 for 17 models. That's a considerable chunk of money for a very small force. I was able to get a 3000 point Ogre army out of about $330-$350 worth of purchases at a GW store (so no discounts), and that was just last year (got them because I was excited about using Orcs and Ogres together in WFB as the rumors said... which never happened). Just the very small number of models I might want to get to complement an existing force of greenskins I've been assembling for AoS would require $300. Meanwhile, I could get a whole army for Bolt Action for that price and have money left over to start Infinity (both of which I have more chance of finding games for... in large part because of those prices). But I actually *want* some of these models, so it's not as easy as looking at Sigmarines and opting out to spend money elsewhere.

Ah well. Maybe I can find discounted models somewhere.

Bigred
04-18-2016, 05:20 PM
images via scanner (http://forum.spikeybits.com/showthread.php?20765-Age-of-Sigmar-Warhammer-Fantasy-9th-Rumors-Explosion&p=239225&viewfull=1#post239225) 4-18-2016

No orruks this week. something bigger, and somewhat plague-y and some new 40k tempestus rules for the Overkill game to start

Asymmetrical Xeno
04-18-2016, 07:25 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-U1nP1O0B2rI/VxVsPcrCTaI/AAAAAAABB9o/wp_930SdWk8/s640/blogger-image-1595452001.jpg

crazy amount of stuff for one week. GW you are forgiven for the past three boring weeks!

Haighus
04-18-2016, 07:32 PM
The new dice cubes look pretty crap though. Why do they only have 20 dice in, not 27? I'm struggling to see what new innovation they have made as they claim on the headline in that White Dwarf. Selling less dice in the cube for a greater price or something maybe?

Bigred
04-18-2016, 10:34 PM
it's raining Orruks!

Image via Scanner (http://forum.spikeybits.com/showthread.php?20765-Age-of-Sigmar-Warhammer-Fantasy-9th-Rumors-Explosion&p=238455&viewfull=1#post238455) 4-18-2016

Mr Mystery
04-19-2016, 01:01 AM
Pretty badass overall - definitely an army needing to keep the momentum though.

Kirsten
04-19-2016, 05:11 AM
I like the monster and the warboss on foot, looking suitably badass. the brutes with two hand weapons all look a bit static and monopose to me, two handed weapons are an improvement. always fancied a Grimgor army of elite orcs, an army of black orcs and brutes could be nasty

Erik Setzer
04-19-2016, 08:23 AM
The new dice cubes look pretty crap though. Why do they only have 20 dice in, not 27? I'm struggling to see what new innovation they have made as they claim on the headline in that White Dwarf. Selling less dice in the cube for a greater price or something maybe?

Pretty much, yeah. And the one's got swapped for skulls. But for 7 fewer dice, that feels a bit... bleh.

Mr Mystery
04-19-2016, 08:25 AM
Dice is dice.

I just wish custom dice makers could agree a standard. Is the design a 1 or a 6?

Just a pet peeve!

And can anyone hazard a guess at what the 'Next Week' teaser might be? Seems it's definitely Orcy/Orky.....but I'm not aware of any rumours for 40k greenskinz?

Haighus
04-19-2016, 08:26 AM
Pretty much, yeah. And the one's got swapped for skulls. But for 7 fewer dice, that feels a bit... bleh.

Yay.... Glad I've still got my old cube. Hopefully the dice are the same size.

Erik Setzer
04-19-2016, 08:32 AM
images via scanner (http://forum.spikeybits.com/showthread.php?20765-Age-of-Sigmar-Warhammer-Fantasy-9th-Rumors-Explosion&p=239225&viewfull=1#post239225) 4-18-2016

It's still ridiculously hard to tell what the Maw-Krusha looks like. I need to see it in person, or at least the 360 view. I'm wondering about how those wings connect and all. Probably need to see it in person to see if it's just a really bad decision with painting (again), or if they really did put harsh edged spikes/whatever growing out of the creature (looking completely non-organic). Might be able to file and smooth them to look right, but this growing trend of adding harsh angles where they don't belong, even if it's meant to be an "artistic" choice rather than someone incapable of more subtle modeling due to their or the software's limitations, is getting kind of tiring, especially where those details can wreck a kit (much like some of the Chaos kits are harmed by the ridiculous looking skulls-in-the-skin, like Archaon's mount which needs serious filing and green stuff work to look like something worth paying that much for).

I know, I'm being grumbly, but when a company claims to make "the best miniatures in the world" you'd hope they'd put in the time, effort, and money (especially with what they charge) to actually make them as good as possible.

Still like the Orcs on foot and the Orc riding the Totes-Not-A-Wyvern-We-Swear.

- - - Updated - - -

I always fancied a Grimgor army of elite orcs, an army of black orcs and brutes could be nasty

I have the Black Orcs to make that work. Back when Grimgor's horde had rules, I snatched up a bunch of Black Orc plastic boxes, but haven't assembled all of them yet, so I've still got plenty to use for doing something like that.

Seeing all those boxes, though, made it even more of a system shock to see the new price for Black Orcs and wonder when the heck they got that high... Glad I already have a ton of them!

AdamHarry
04-19-2016, 09:11 AM
via Scanner (http://forum.spikeybits.com/showthread.php?20765-Age-of-Sigmar-Warhammer-Fantasy-9th-Rumors-Explosion&p=240011&viewfull=1#post240011), 4-19-2016

18167 18168 18169

Erik Setzer
04-19-2016, 09:25 AM
I'll probably skip on the Battletome for now (but eventually get it for the fluff), because the rules for the units will be in the GA book anyway, as will some battalions. GA Order had Stormcasts along with their Extremis Chambers guys, and Fyreslayers. Just a way to save money in the short run while still able to play the game. Having that option is a good thing. Also nice that I can pick up both for about the same price as a modern codex.

Mr Mystery
04-19-2016, 09:45 AM
Well, we've seen the Fist of Gork....wonder who the Fist of Mork is?

I'm betting a Gobbo.

Erik Setzer
04-19-2016, 10:00 AM
Well, we've seen the Fist of Gork....wonder who the Fist of Mork is?

I'm betting a Gobbo.

Weren't they Grimgor and Skarsnik during the End Times? Or were those just rumors floating around or something?

Also, give me a new Grimgor model. If the other Incarnates can be wrecked by the void and come back for another go-'round, then Grimgor should be able to. Especially as he's the only one to go toe-to-toe with Archaon TWICE now (don't care if they retconned the first story because Grimgor was too awesome in it and non-greenskins were jealous).

Mr Mystery
04-19-2016, 10:23 AM
Defo in the books.

I think Grimgor is part of Gorkamorka now?

Mr Mystery
04-19-2016, 11:46 AM
Thieves off the front page....

http://cdn.bols.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Maw-Krusha-3.jpg

http://cdn.bols.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Maw-Krusha1.jpg

Not at all keen on the second pics armoured head, but I do like the bare one.

They've definitely blobbed the paintjob/photography/both on this though - it's hard to make out the features.

Erik Setzer
04-19-2016, 11:58 AM
Think I'll need to see an assembled one in person... but I'm not sure how likely that is as I don't know much of anyone buying new AoS stuff (one guy with a Stormcast army, that's it) and the new manager doesn't assembled and paint up the new big kits any more. (Hey, his BaC set is still half-painted, and DW:OK is just primed, with one model being fully painted, and that's "good enough.")

Mr Mystery
04-19-2016, 12:04 PM
That's fair enough. There's many a kit, GW or otherwise, which has looked cack until seen in glorious proper HD 3D Reality.

If I was ever to get one, reckon I'd do the lower jaw a lighter colour than the head, give it some contrast.

But these pics have given me a better idea of its anatomy. Looks more like it uses its wings to extend leaps into glides, than actually flapping about the skies. Minds eye sees it barrelling along, before launching itself at the last minute, barrelling over its prey.

Kirsten
04-19-2016, 12:12 PM
the beastie is looking pretty awesome

grimmas
04-19-2016, 01:34 PM
Weren't they Grimgor and Skarsnik during the End Times? Or were those just rumors floating around or something?

Also, give me a new Grimgor model. If the other Incarnates can be wrecked by the void and come back for another go-'round, then Grimgor should be able to. Especially as he's the only one to go toe-to-toe with Archaon TWICE now (don't care if they retconned the first story because Grimgor was too awesome in it and non-greenskins were jealous).

He has the best line In the series

Grimgor to Archaon after he's finished a lengthy speech of some kind "Grimgor sez, shut up and die!" Pithy to the point and refers to himself in the third person awesome!

It was great when he gave him a kicking in the Storm of Chaos as well (I remember they can't say it never happend)

40kGamer
04-19-2016, 08:27 PM
I've liked most of the big kits so far but this one I definitely need to see first hand to judge!

AoS Noob
04-20-2016, 08:13 AM
This is awesome. I was really confused when the start collecting box set had orks, but they still don't have a battletome or anything, so looking forward to some more answers... Did someone say orks and orruks are different factions completely? Like stormcats and humans... Analogous to space marine chapters and the regular military humans of 40k? I think it's cool, but at the same time strange that the armies fighting for similar races are so disjoint. Idk!

Also it seemed like they scaled down the size of the armies but scaled up size of individual models and then the price to purchase a full army didn't really change, so the smaller "intro" cost isn't really a smaller into cost... Like the starter packs for 40k are a good price, but it's not even 500 points... So you're going to have a hard time finding people to actually play at your scale, so are you even really "starting" or are you like "pre-starting" ... Same thing I think happening with AoS. The starter packs are cool... But only if they are actually PLAYABLE.

Mr Mystery
04-20-2016, 09:37 AM
All Orruks are Orcs, but then there's different flavours, such as Ironjawz.

Hope that helps!

Erik Setzer
04-20-2016, 10:29 AM
It was great when he gave him a kicking in the Storm of Chaos as well (I remember they can't say it never happend)

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Mr Mystery
04-20-2016, 11:22 AM
Hmm....

Wonder if we'll be seeing an additional 'Getting Started' set to cover these?

Erik Setzer
04-20-2016, 12:00 PM
Hmm....

Wonder if we'll be seeing an additional 'Getting Started' set to cover these?

Considering there wasn't one for Stormcast or Fyreslayers, I'd doubt it. For $85, they'd have to have either six models, or offer a steep discount. It'd look bad to have either a very, VERY small force as a Start Collecting! set, and similarly it'd look bad to have a set that had, say, 12 models, and then you realize that's a 50% discount, which makes you have to wonder why they're charging so much in the first place. Neither's ideal for the company.

Mr Mystery
04-20-2016, 12:41 PM
True.

But I wonder if we might see 'plus size' ones, perhaps released around Chrimbo

Bright side in the meantime, the Greenskinz box currently gives a cut price kick start, even for those planning largely Ironjawz. Whack on a box or two of Black Orcs, and then one of each of the new sets and you've got a decent sized army.

Mr Mystery
04-20-2016, 03:38 PM
Is got more pics!

I like the orange one. Painted up as rusty, rather than lacquered could look pretty ace, and really add to the 'scavenged and adapted' look I associate most with Orcs.

Still odd to see Black Orcs as the tiddlers, but then it does make sense that if there's entire tribes of the sods, those we're most used to would be the 'smallest', given their propensity to just get bigger as they get 'arder.

Kirsten
04-20-2016, 03:41 PM
I'd like to see them in a steel colour with rust on. Goff black isn't too bad though.

Asymmetrical Xeno
04-20-2016, 04:30 PM
I like the white and dark red one, has a nice tribal feel to it. I also like the black and orange ones too.

Tzeentch's Dark Agent
04-20-2016, 04:48 PM
Oh look, Deathskulls.

/sarcasm

Haighus
04-20-2016, 05:13 PM
I like the white and dark red one, has a nice tribal feel to it. I also like the black and orange ones too.
Ooh I agree. Although I also can't stop thinking White Skarz....

Mr Mystery
04-21-2016, 01:57 AM
Deffwing, surely?

Mr Mystery
04-21-2016, 02:25 AM
And now, for the ingredients.

Kirsten
04-21-2016, 03:02 AM
looks interesting. I'd be tempted to grab a few and give them a look.

Mr Mystery
04-21-2016, 03:49 AM
Looking forward to this one - but must remember to pick up Pestilens as well!

Kirsten
04-21-2016, 04:10 AM
nobody wants pestilens

Mr Mystery
04-21-2016, 04:32 AM
I want the book though!

Asymmetrical Xeno
04-21-2016, 06:06 AM
You better see a doctor just to be sure!

Kirsten
04-21-2016, 06:21 AM

liking this one. also the boar looks badass here

Mr Mystery
04-21-2016, 07:08 AM
Yup.

Looks like another but why that paintjob?? for the models we've seen.

Erik Setzer
04-21-2016, 08:28 AM
The Black Orc thing still makes no sense to me and breaks my heart. But this is Warhammer: Age of Overcompensation, so I have to get used to the biggest actually not being the biggest, until they get "proper" new models where you have a unit of infantry that are each larger than a Space Marine Dreadnought. I mean, heck, even the Dwarfs in Warhammer: Age of Supersize Me aren't proper Dwarf size any more.

Mr Mystery
04-21-2016, 08:43 AM
I dunno dude.

Black Orcs have always being the biggest of the Greenskinz, but never had Big'Uns or Cavalry etc, and Orcs generally in Warhammer didn't have the same size scaling I like about their 40k counterparts.

The Ironjawz are quite close to how I imagine a whole tribe of Black Orcs would look.

But, to each their own!

Erik Setzer
04-21-2016, 10:59 AM
If they'd said Ironjaws were Black Orcs who'd been fighting a lot, I could accept that. And a paint job to match would work. But it seems the intent is for Ironjaws to be viewed as the "basic" Orcs for AoS, even though clearly that wouldn't work, because you'd need to be a frontrunner for the Republican Party presidential nomination to afford a sizable army of those guys.

Maybe I'm just being a curmudgeonly old man, but it feels like some old traditions are being kicked to the curb, and while "Warhammer" is in the name, it feels less and less like the setting that a lot of us enjoyed for 30 years. :(

Haighus
04-21-2016, 11:07 AM
It would appear that Ironjawz are gonna become their own clan kinda thing though, so Black Orcs are the basic troops for Ironclawz, but not for the other groups of Orcs out there. Sort of like collecting a Ghazgull army with only Nob level units.

grimmas
04-21-2016, 11:55 AM
That's the way I saw it. It fits with how factions are being made up. Black Orks are a whole separate strain of Orruk now with Ironjaws (black Orcs) at the bottom with Brutes and Megabosses above them.

In other news just dredged my bits box and turned up 20 odd boys, 2 Warbosses and a chariot l, not enough in WFB but the core of an army for AoS. Some Brutes , a Maw Krusha and they're good to go.

Mr Mystery
04-21-2016, 11:57 AM
I don't think there's any intent to portray Ironjawz as standard Orcs.

Some of the reported background specifically states they're just the biggest, 'ardest types of Orc.

Erik Setzer
04-21-2016, 12:07 PM

Some of the reported background specifically states they're just the biggest, 'ardest types of Orc.

Yeah, you're kind of saying the same thing... But anyway, it still feels wrong to me.

Given that I can only get a few of them once I pay off everything that's even remotely important and can justify to myself spending an army's worth of money on a very, VERY small number of models, I'll get some of the new stuff, paint them with suitably dark skin, and use them as elite Black Orcs. I can't ever afford more than a few anyway. Unless I win the lottery. Or blackmail a CEO. Or get a hairpiece and run for president.

grimmas
04-21-2016, 12:10 PM

I don't doubt it. There'll be another faction for "ordinary" Orruks

Brakkart
04-21-2016, 01:56 PM
I think there's 3 Orruk factions. The Ironjawz are the biggest 'ardest Orruks, the Bonesplitters are the primitive savage types and the Greenskinz are the regular Orruks. There might be more, but I think it's just the 3 types.

Erik Setzer
04-23-2016, 08:08 AM
With the 360 view, I can get a better view for the Maw-Krusha. And yeah, it's just a fat Wyvern. A SERIOUSLY fat Wyvern. I'm kind of just neutral on it now. It's not really grabbing me, but it's not pushing me away either.

Still absolutely hate the cavalry's mounts. If I want a unit of those guys, I'll buy some Ogre cavalry and convert them (and it might end up being cheaper, too).

Otherwise, I like the overall look of things. The Orks themselves look fine, but different paint schemes would help in some areas (the Shaman was a seriously missed opportunity).

Don't like the price at all. Means I won't be getting any of these for a while, because for the price of just a handful of models, I can get a sizable army for another game that people are getting into (and would probably get played more than these guys, sadly).

The only complain I have on the models, other than the boar-things (and still not being able to figure out what is going on with the front of the MK's wings), is that the harsh edges are turning up more and more. Horns that have sharp edges instead of being round, heads that have harsh angles rather than being curved, all kinds of areas where it looks like they're going the route of least resistance with CAD and you can tell it'd be so much better if they were willing to put in the money to have hand-sculpted models. And then the painting team is compounding the problem by doing bright highlights on every edge, which not only looks bad (seriously, what happened to the 'Eavy Metal crew?), it also highlights where the current sculpting system has issues.

But maybe people won't noticed those things on the tabletop without having every edge painted five shades lighter than the color around them. And maybe I'm letting my perfectionist attitude from my job bleed through. (But these *are* supposed to be the "best" miniatures in the world, so these issues coming from shortcuts and cost-cutting measures should bother me, especially while they remain charging increasing prices with said claim attached.)

Path Walker
04-23-2016, 08:40 AM
If you don't think the Shaman is an utterly amazing paint job, then, I don't know what to say, maybe you don't know much about painting?

Look at the insane texture work there, that's all in the painting. The Leather, the cloth, the wood on the staff, even the headpiece, all absolutely perfect.

Then look at the fire and how the embers are sparking up and into the smoke, its gorgeous, the use of colour is really . That's some utterly world class painting there.

Click for enbiggerment.

Go to the website and look at the 360 degree view, its a magnificent job.

CAD is not a less means of sculpting miniatures, its a different means of sculpting. It makes hard edges easier but that doesn't mean everything has a hard edge and that having them is lazy, to say so is blatantly untrue and shows a lack of understanding. The harder (not hard, and the way they're done is just as "difficult" to do right as softer curves) edges are an obvious stylistic choice they've been going at with most of the newer kits in WFB for years now, probably in preparation for AoS, where the aesthetic is less realistic.

I'm not sure you even know what you're complaining about at this stage, just firing off at nothing because you can't afford the models seemingly. You earlier said you hated them because the armour looked manufactured and not thrown together when it looks a lot more bashed up and improvised than the Black Orcs this range is based on. You then tried to claim that the Brutes were replacing the Orcs, which is nonsense. You have no knowledge of the system or the fluff of this game and yet still think you need to chip in with your silly little opinions, its just sad.

Haighus
04-23-2016, 09:24 AM
Tbf, Erik wasn't saying the Shaman was painted badly, or that any of the painting was technically bad, more that he disagreed with the pallet used by the 'Eavy Metal team. They paint their chosen schemes well, but I agree that they are often overly bright and gaudy. It is the choice of colours, not how they are applied to the model that he is disagreeing with.

AoS Noob
04-23-2016, 12:45 PM
I'm just still confused how they didn't release a normal orruk battletome, but that's the only one with a starter set? How do I know how to use the army if there's no rules for it? ... Is there a pattern to the release of battletomes I'm missing? Or is it just random? Im starting to think I'll just wait like 2 years until they get done releasing everything... Like half an army is old models that you don't even know if they'll still be supported once it's converted to AoS, and the other half is really expensive albeit cool looking models without all the rules to build the army... What's happening to goblins? What's happening to rock-lobbas and catapults... Etc etc

grimmas
04-23-2016, 01:38 PM
The new faction are on the AoS app. all the stuff in them is being continued any old stuff that's being discontinued is under the Orcs and Goblins faction (legacy rules)

AoS Noob
04-23-2016, 06:46 PM
Ohhhhhh I get it now... Haha I didn't even know you could select a certain faction in the app! Thanks! That makes a lot more sense!

Erik Setzer
04-24-2016, 07:36 AM
Tbf, Erik wasn't saying the Shaman was painted badly, or that any of the painting was technically bad, more that he disagreed with the pallet used by the 'Eavy Metal team. They paint their chosen schemes well, but I agree that they are often overly bright and gaudy. It is the choice of colours, not how they are applied to the model that he is disagreeing with.

With the Shaman, my *one* issue with it is that they didn't paint the eyes and mouth to be "glowing" so it looks like it's ready to vomit energy. That'd work brilliantly with the way he seems to be convulsing, and the background of Orc Shamans (whatever you might call them these days).

With the other models, my issue is with the harsh edge highlighting. They use exceptionally lighter tones to draw thin highlights everywhere, and it can actually make a model look worse. I guess it's intended to show off the detail, but it gets distracting and isn't necessary. That's not a method you'd use if you were trying to win a painting contest or anything. The Infinity miniatures are a good example of how models should be painted. The old 'Eavy Metal team understood that. I'm not sure where this current direction's coming from, but it's very distracting. (The old local manager, who is a VERY good painter himself, had the same feeling, and was similarly turned off by the Bloodthirster originally because of how it had been painted.)

Now, if you want to talk Grand Alliance books... Yikes. The quality's kind of all over the place. It's certainly tabletop quality and I'd be fine using any of them in games, but the techniques vary too much in the same ranges (a product of having people with different ideas painting the models), you have some where the edge highlights are even worse than standard, and the occasional model where it looks like they forgot to shade and highlight properly. That's just being super-picky, though. It's probably better to show off tabletop quality models, and I doubt they could have done better considering it's very likely the majority of models pictured were painted in a very short time period (and that can sometimes produce less-than-ideal results, as I've personally seen).

- - - Updated - - -

I'm just still confused how they didn't release a normal orruk battletome, but that's the only one with a starter set? How do I know how to use the army if there's no rules for it? ... Is there a pattern to the release of battletomes I'm missing? Or is it just random? Im starting to think I'll just wait like 2 years until they get done releasing everything... Like half an army is old models that you don't even know if they'll still be supported once it's converted to AoS, and the other half is really expensive albeit cool looking models without all the rules to build the army... What's happening to goblins? What's happening to rock-lobbas and catapults... Etc etc

Grab the Grand Alliance: Destruction book. It'll have you covered on the Ironjaws rules and give you everything for the Orcs and Goblins that aren't being discontinued. Plus you get Ogre rules. And it's just $16.50, so very affordable. Next time I swing by the local store, I'll be grabbing a copy to complete my own GA collection.

Only thing you won't get are scenarios and maybe a couple of battalion warscrolls, but there should still be some in the book.

AoS Noob
04-24-2016, 02:35 PM
Woah I didn't know that book existed either! Awesome! This is definitely somewhere to get started... Now I just gotta paint my little guys from my starter set then start getting some of these dudes to come in and randomly wreck face. HA!

Erik Setzer
04-24-2016, 04:07 PM
It just came out yesterday, alongside the new models and the Ironjaws battletome.

Mr Mystery
04-25-2016, 02:28 AM
Read Splitskull pass last night.

Orcs is still Orcs! And DED 'ARD!

grimmas
04-27-2016, 09:57 AM
Stolen of Facebook which was in turn stolen off spike bitz

Get a load of the Orruk on that

Erik Setzer
04-27-2016, 11:14 AM
The right arm (left side when viewing the photo) on the middle Orc looks like a weird pose. Might just be the way it's photographed.

Still feels weird seeing "Boyz" who are bigger than Black Orcs. (And to see Black Orcs still existing without acknowledging what they are or how they came to exist. Though not really as bad as the elves that exist but don't exist.)

The Boss is huge. Still not keen on the price tag, but if I stumbled on a large sum of cash and could stop thinking of other things that I'd probably get more value out of, he'd be solid for a Snakebite Mega-armor Warboss, or Goff. (Actually, that doesn't help me, I run Blood Axes with a side of Deathskullz. But maybe some time in the future I might do those clans.)

Psychosplodge
04-28-2016, 01:44 AM
whack a pair of big shootas on the back of the big ones arm armour and he'd make a fantastic 40k warboss.

Kirsten
04-28-2016, 03:02 AM
the boss is a wonderful size, makes me wonder what they will do with ogre characters...

Mr Mystery
04-28-2016, 03:20 AM
Apparently, the Megaboss was the first concept model for the Ironjawz, a tester for how they might look.

Still not that keen on the massive skull, but I think the look works.

And yes. Biggerer Ogres please!

Erik Setzer
04-28-2016, 07:48 AM
whack a pair of big shootas on the back of the big ones arm armour and he'd make a fantastic 40k warboss.

I was thinking of looted weapons mashed together, but that's more a DS/BA thing. This guy's more Goff/SB, so big shoots would probably work fine.