PDA

View Full Version : Shooty Dwarfs. How many Thunderers does one need?

lobster-overlord
04-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Hi all,

I'm thinning out my models and I wanted to figure out what I need to keep and what to get rid of, and I've been sitting on some dwarfs for a while. I have two sets of Skull Pass units and some metals I picked up cheap from a store selling off their GW lines. In total I have 40 thunderers (the two ten man units from Skull Pass sets and two 10 man metal sets.)

Is it reasonable to field them as two 20 man units, or should 4x10 man be better?

Or should I not even bother with that many?

John M.

Lord Azaghul
04-27-2010, 06:42 AM
If you plan on playing gunline: 4 is good.
I usually don't so in my standard 2k -2250 list I take 1 unit of 10 thunderes w/ SH, and 1 unit of 10 quarrellers w/ sh. They rest of my shooting is in warmachines.

I to have 40+ thunderers, rarely do I take 20 in a single game so...
I do however like to keep them for very large games, like 5k+ but those are pretty rare.
I would wait until 8th ed drops to make a final decision on those lads!

Kieranator K82
04-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Sigmar forbid that you should even ask such a thing!
Thunderers are awesome. They're like the best ranged Core unit or something like that. Range 24" S4, Armour Piercing, +1 to the roll to hit. Doesn't get any better than that, as far as I'm concerned.

WereWolf_nr
08-18-2010, 12:56 AM
Sigmar forbid that you should even ask such a thing!
Thunderers are awesome. They're like the best ranged Core unit or something like that. Range 24" S4, Armour Piercing, +1 to the roll to hit. Doesn't get any better than that, as far as I'm concerned.

Downside being they cost 2x as much as their Empire counterparts. If you are facing an Empire gun line, there is a good chance you will be outgunned.