PDA

View Full Version : Painting Plague Marines

Lord Inquisitor
04-26-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm about to paint some Plague Marines for someone and I need some advice. What is a quick and easy way to paint them and make them look good, preferably using inks and washes. What basecoat should I do?

Lykum
04-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Are you going for the standard slime green GW look? If so a bleached bone base with a green wash and a light green highlight would be a good start. I went for more of a Return of the Living Dead look, so my guys look like the Black Legion dug up some corpses and sent them to Father Nurgle. Black primer, then a spray of dark flesh followed by a spray of graveyard earth. For the pauldrons and greaves I drybrushed burnished and shining gold followed by a sepia wash for the raised metal, then filled in the low parts of the armor with black. I wanted a freshly dead look so most of the skin is dark flesh followed by tallarn flesh and bleached bone. The festering parts are bleached bone washed red, then dwarf flesh, then highlighted with merchite red and bleached bone. Weathering powders were used for the festering parts to make them rusty or dirty instead of oozy.

Lykum
04-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Pics are attached. Still not 100% done, but you get the idea.

pestilence
04-27-2010, 12:48 AM
a good way to get a nasty looking but still classic death guard look is to base with camo green, then hit it with devlan mud ( or skill in a bottle as I call it) then a drybrush with a mix of camo green and bleached bone. After that, detail as normal. lots of grime and rust. I use weathering powders for this as I find them the easiest to get looking natural

UltramarineFan
04-27-2010, 12:03 PM
The method you're going for would probably work well with either a brown or white basecoat depending on what you want the end effect to be. Personally I drybrushed many times, over a black basecoat, alternating between bestail brown and goblin green for the most part and bleached bone in some areas.

Lord Inquisitor
04-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Thanks all sound good. I think I will try a white base coat with chestnut ink and Dark green ink, I want to use that stuff up. I think this will look nasty. I looked at one guys Plague Marines and thought to myself, wow this guy is disgusting looking, and then I remembered that was the point of them.