PDA

View Full Version : Needing help building a Cthulhu CSM army

wartoy
04-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Hello all!

I am wanting to build a Cthulhu based army. Primarily a deamon army so I can use the same models in fantasy. The later consider a Cthulhu base CSM army.

I am not fermiliur with deamons and somewhat with the Cthulhu mythos. Yes I know... READ.

I would like some direction with what mythos creatures would fit which deamon profile. I am not just wanting to pin Cthulhu names to deamon models. I want this to look as close as I can to correct. Granted I know I will have to do some conversion work to some of the models.

Please send any and all suggestions and help my way.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Extinction Angel
04-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Just put tentacles on everything until you think you've put too many...then put a couple more and you're all set!

...And before some Cthulu cultist jumps on my case yes, I know, not everything Cthul has tentacles...they have tendrils instead.

The Mighty Git
04-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Not well versed in the Cthulu mythos, but these conversion bits might help you. Wargames Factory's Shock troop sprue has a tentacly/squidgy head resembling Zoidberg or Cthulu. Also Wyrd make a conversion kit with some tasty tentacles, of course the Chaos Spawn set is chock full of good bits. Lots of demonic wingy bits will help too. Tyranids have lots of good conversion fodder as well, and Chapterhouse made some genestealer barfing tentacles heads that are cool as well.

Bigred
04-26-2010, 11:32 PM
I think Modeling and Painting will give you much more feedback for this project. Moving you over there...

Proximus
04-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Thing is, if you want to seriously stick with the cthulhu background, you can´t just randomly combine different mythos creatures into a battleforce, because several of the mythos races are at war with each other or exist in different time periods.

Apart from that, I think shoggoths would make for good bloodcrushers. Since shoggoths are basically formless, an ugly blob of green stuff would already serve this purpose. Also, the chaos spawn set could be used as a useful basis for this and several other conversions.
Cthulhu himself should represent a Greater Demon. He´s got so many powers that he can count as the Greater Demon of any chaos god he wants.
Creatures from the deep could be used to represent plaguebearers.

Come to think of it, there are quite many mythos creatures that correspond nicely to chaos demon units. My problem here is that I´m not familiar with the creatures' english names (I`ve only read the books in german), so I can`t help you much further here.

One last thing though, my personal opinion about this project is that just adding tentacles and/or tendrils to already existing models just won`t be enough. To make it really cool, you`d have to use other models (fortunately, there are some cthulhu mythos miniatures available already), or do a great deal of conversion work and scratchbuilding. And of course, read.

Greetz, Proxy