PDA

View Full Version : Gaze of Flame vs. Space Wolves

Necron_Lord
04-25-2010, 10:38 PM
I recently have been playing against a Space Wolf army and was wondering if the Gaze of Flame negates any potential counter-attack by SW units? RAW it doesn't, but isn't counter-attack really a charge bonus even though they technically aren't charging. This situation isn't in either the SW or Necron FAQs, so I am hoping someone can enlighten me.

DarkLink
04-26-2010, 01:25 AM
Though I don't have a Daemon codex to check the rule, I don't think it works.

First off, if it doesn't work by RAW, then it doesn't work period. Unless you houserule it, which requires opponent permission.

Secondly, does Gaze act as defensive grenades? If it does, then no, it definately doesn't work against counter assault. GW FAQ'd this in the Space Wolves FAQ. Basically, they said you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Nabterayl
04-26-2010, 07:35 AM
I'd say no. As the Necron codex says, "Note that only the normal +1 Attack for charging is lost. Any additional advantages due to a unit's special abilities are unaffected." Surely Universal Special Rules, such as Counter-Attack, are the archetypal "special abilities?"

Mazelf
04-26-2010, 09:14 AM
I donīt think it would work, as I see it the unit did not actually charge so why would the attack be negated?

Necron_Lord
04-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Thanks all. I'd say that GoF is pretty much like defensive grenades, so if they don't work against counter-attack, I guess GoF doesn't either. My last game I would teleport my Lord out with Immortals, blast the SW unit and then assault so Njarl couldn't do JotWW on me and keep repeating the process, so it became quite important to know and we couldn't call GW at the time (it was too late).

DarkLink
04-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks all. I'd say that GoF is pretty much like defensive grenades, so if they don't work against counter-attack, I guess GoF doesn't either. My last game I would teleport my Lord out with Immortals, blast the SW unit and then assault so Njarl couldn't do JotWW on me and keep repeating the process, so it became quite important to know and we couldn't call GW at the time (it was too late).

That's the conclusion I'd come to as well. Heh, though GoF was a Daemon ability, and forgot about Necrons.