PDA

View Full Version : use IP/Security cams for 40k gaming/painting and batrep videos?

Gunzhard
03-21-2016, 10:28 AM
Has anyone done this? ...it looks like a lot of security/IP setups now support at least 780p video, have several cameras, some do 'night vision', many do WiFi control etc. All seem to be much cheaper than a single decent camcorder. And they're made to mount on a wall/ceiling.

I've never made any gaming/painting videos or batreps, but I'd like to, and looking into cams I came across this idea.

Does anyone have any experience that might help here?

Thanks.

Psychosplodge
03-21-2016, 10:39 AM
They'll murder your bandwidth, and most of the budget ones are setup for a fixed wide-ish field of view. so would be worse than useless for your intended purpose.

Gunzhard
03-21-2016, 10:51 AM
Well I figured if I had multiple views the fixed cam thing might be ok, but I hadn't even thought about bandwidth. Thanks for your reply.

Any suggestions on a good cam?

Thaldin
03-21-2016, 12:13 PM
I have thought about suspending my Kinect 2.0 over my game table and seeing if I can write battle report code for it =) But then there is that pesky time issue....

Psychosplodge
03-22-2016, 02:30 AM
If you've got a dslr that'll probably record a pretty decent video. Though you can pic a decent 1080p handheld camcorder these days for cheap, just read the reviews. It'll certainly give you a better image of what you're actually wanting.
Plus just get a cheap mini tripod if you want it fixed on the board.

Gunzhard
03-23-2016, 10:22 AM
It looks like actual 'camcorders' are still extremely expensive; a decent Wifi-capable Canon is still $399+... but 1080p "sports cams" are cheap by comparison like the GoPro, the iON or the Foscam... I just wonder if they are not well suited to 40k type videos.

I've done a lot of searches and there's not a lot of info on this subject surprisingly.

Psychosplodge
03-23-2016, 10:31 AM
Is the wifi necessary though? A 32gb microsd card is ridiculously cheap these days, and its all the unnecessary stuff like wifi that boosts the price.

I think a go pro might suffer the same fixed focus/wide angle problems a cheap IP camera will have.

hisdudeness
03-25-2016, 05:55 PM
Yes, players have done it. Check out the Forgotten Legion youtube. They also use Google hangouts to do group paint chats.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/southtexas30k

http://www.warhammer30k.com