PDA

View Full Version : The Comfort Food Thread.

Mr Mystery
03-20-2016, 05:27 AM
Morning all.

Currently watching 'Best Dishes Ever' on BBC2, and the Hairy Bikers just did a segment on family favourite comfort food, including a very nice looking cheese and potato pie.

As you all probably know, I can be a right fatty when it comes to food, and I like to potter about in my kitchen making new stuff.

And as the thread title suggests, I want to know what everyone's preferred comfort foods are.

Mine are pretty straight forward....Macaroni Cheese, home fried fish in Breadcrumb (the violently orange Paxo breadcrumb), Cheese and Potato pie, Mince and Tatties (only if there's Worcester Sauce on hand for the mince).

Anyone else?

eldargal
03-20-2016, 05:33 AM
Steak and kidney pie, boiled eggs and toasty soldiers, macaroni cheese of course, also bacon.

Mr Mystery
03-20-2016, 05:34 AM
Nice.

Need to try to make Steak and Kidney pie!

eldargal
03-20-2016, 05:38 AM
Homemade is always better, though I used to eat a lot of Fray Bentos when I was at university.

Probably forgetting a heap of comfort foods actually. Lam kidneys roasted in their own fat with a salt crust for example, and candied violets. I have many comfort foods.

Mr Mystery
03-20-2016, 05:42 AM
And a proper beef stew in my slow cooker. Chop it all up, bung it all in. Switch it on, come back tomorrow. Victory.

- - - Updated - - -

Should probably also try to make savoury puddings. I love suet pastry, me. Sticks to your ribs and you know you've eaten it.

Fray Bentos = WIN!

LOOK AT THE PUDDING!!!!!

http://cdn.jamieoliver.com/recipe-database/oldImages/xtra_med/1012_1_1436890130.jpg

Gotthammer
03-20-2016, 06:54 AM
Chocolate /thread

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-20-2016, 08:22 AM
Yeah. also chocolate here. f**k everything else.

Path Walker
03-20-2016, 10:24 AM
Cheese on toast, again with the Worcester sauce.

Mr Mystery
03-20-2016, 12:13 PM
Beans on Toast (Heinz of course) with added curry powder.

Kaptain Badrukk
03-20-2016, 03:19 PM
Blackberry crumble (with apple, pear, or other as desired, but it has to have blackerries). Thick crumble topping made we with brown sugar, cooked so it goes all soft a gooey at the bottom. Serve fresh and warm with custard straight from the fridge.
Also home-msde fruit pie and icecream.
Also any icecream.

Haighus
03-20-2016, 03:23 PM
Soup, most kinds but preferably chicken broth; white chocolate; haribo tangfastics; sour cream 'n' onion pringles; vanilla fudge; mini pork pies; eccles cakes. Basically stuff I can eat the whole packet of without realising it...

- - - Updated - - -

Blackberry crumble (with apple, pear, or other as desired, but it has to have blackerries). Thick crumble topping made we with brown sugar, cooked so it goes all soft a gooey at the bottom. Serve fresh and warm with custard straight from the fridge.
Also home-msde fruit pie and icecream.
Also any icecream.
Crumble is good- raspberry and apple crumble with white choc chunks in the topping is also an excellent crumble... Blackberry and apple is a long term fav :)

Mr Mystery
03-20-2016, 03:35 PM
I'm torn between Apple Pie and Apple Crumble.

Pie goes well with cream or ice cream, Crumble better with custard.

Just gonna have to make both!

Haighus
03-20-2016, 03:37 PM
Personally prefer crumble. With either cream or custard (cream soaks into the crumble topping and that is a good combo :) ).

Mr Mystery
03-20-2016, 03:50 PM
Need to have a crack at both, and get my food faster over to try it!

Kaptain Badrukk
03-21-2016, 05:16 AM
As a direct result of this thread i made blackberry crumble for wife and guests tonight. T'was very well recieved.

Gotthammer
03-21-2016, 06:06 AM
Gott's Pasta Carbonara:

5 eggs
75g Parmesan (Parmigiano-Reggiano) cheese
100ml double cream
Mushrooms, prosciutto, bacon, capsicums (bell peppers)
Additional cheese for garnish

Separate the yolks of the eggs and place them in a bowl. The whites are not needed so can be used for another recipe (such as a meringue for desert).
Grate the Parmesan and add to the yolks. It is important to grate it as finely as possible, a powdery consistency is best.
Add in the cream and stir thoroughly - this is your sauce mixture.

Set pasta to boil, and begin cooking any meats or vegetables that will be added to the pasta. My personal preference is to fry up some prosciutto and bacon, then cook diced mushroom in the oil from the meat (though I don't eat it myself as I am not a food weirdo). Additionally I dice some red and green capsicums to put in uncooked.

Once the pasta is ready drain the water from the pot but leave the pasta inside. As soon as the water is drained add the sauce mixture and stir thoroughly for one minute. The heat from the pasta and pot will cook the sauce through.
Add in the meat and vegetables, continuing to stir until mixed evenly, then serve. Add cracked pepper and an additional garnish of cheese to taste.

Makes four portions.

Note: This meal can easily be made vegetarian or to accommodate a mix of dietary requirements simply by keeping the meat and/or vegetables separate until the pasta has been portioned out.

Is very yum :)

Kirsten
03-21-2016, 06:10 AM
I make the same carbonara, though not with mushrooms as they are the devil's food.

otherwise chocolate is indeed the answer. either in bar form, or on biscuits, or cookies.

CoffeeGrunt
03-21-2016, 06:35 AM
Angel's Delight, anyone? Butterscotch or Strawberry, personally. Or Ben 'n' Jerry's, especially Phish Food. Definitely agree in Crumble > Pie, if the Crumble topping has a bit of bite to it, but is soft on the bottom and absorbed the fruit juices a bit. Also quite partial to some good ol' fashioned cake 'n' hot custard.

Can't beat a good steak pie and mash, either.

eldargal
03-21-2016, 06:41 AM
I like Ben and Jerry's. Not a fan of crumble, like its nice and all but pales into insignificance next to a finale constructed sweet pie crust.

CoffeeGrunt
03-21-2016, 06:43 AM
On a side note, this thread is going to make my diet so much more difficult. :P

Mr Mystery
03-21-2016, 06:59 AM
Angel's Delight, anyone? Butterscotch or Strawberry, personally. Or Ben 'n' Jerry's, especially Phish Food. Definitely agree in Crumble > Pie, if the Crumble topping has a bit of bite to it, but is soft on the bottom and absorbed the fruit juices a bit. Also quite partial to some good ol' fashioned cake 'n' hot custard.

Can't beat a good steak pie and mash, either.

Butterscotch Angel Delight, with chilled and sliced Mars Bar mixed in.

Oh yes.

Still torn between Crumble and Pie. There's definitely merits to both - but a deep filled apple pie is a thing of absolutely exquisteness.

CoffeeGrunt
03-21-2016, 08:08 AM
Butterscotch Angel Delight, with chilled and sliced Mars Bar mixed in.

Oh yes.

Still torn between Crumble and Pie. There's definitely merits to both - but a deep filled apple pie is a thing of absolutely exquisteness.

I do love pie, but a properly-done Crumble is a treat itself, nevermind the fruit as well. I'll have to try your Butterscotch and Mars Bar recipe some time.

Haighus
03-21-2016, 08:48 AM
Ohh pasta, hadn't thought about pasta- I'm very partial to pesto pasta with spuds, sweetcorn, onions and chicken/smoked salmon added in. Also a good bolognese.

Also a good sponge cake, with simple water-icing on top and greengage jam + buttercream in the middle.

Also also, syrup steamed pudding. And syrup tarts.

Damn now I'm making myself hungry....

grimmas
03-21-2016, 09:06 AM
Rhubarb crumble. Suet pudding, savoury or sweet, it's all good. Cheese, though it is one of the primary food groups, especially if it's cooked.

Haighus
03-21-2016, 09:08 AM
Cheese, especially cheddar, does probably constitute far too much of my diet... but it is damn good stuff...

eldargal
03-21-2016, 09:10 AM
Ooh, I eat so much cheese I didn't even think of it as a comfort food. Definitely adding cheese to the list. Also oysters.

Gotthammer
03-21-2016, 09:17 AM
Also oysters.

food weirdo

Mr Mystery
03-21-2016, 09:22 AM
Ooh, I eat so much cheese I didn't even think of it as a comfort food. Definitely adding cheese to the list. Also oysters.

Local pub is doing a 'Wizard's Banquet' in honour of Sir Terry Pratchett's Birthday at the end of April....and my suggestion, seeing as the Unseen University is famed for the breadth of it's cheeseboard, is that every attendee, as part of the entry price, brings a cheese with them.

I'll be procuring mine from here (http://www.fromageandfrench.com/french-cheese-range-and-deli)

eldargal
03-21-2016, 09:33 AM
That is a very good idea for a banquet and I am going to steal it.

- - - Updated - - -

food weirdo

:cool:

Mr Mystery
03-21-2016, 09:39 AM
They did a charidee dinner earlier in the year, Game of Thrones themed.

Was ace! £30 a head, and more food than you can shake a stick at. All profits went to a charity Sir Pratchett was patron of. Can't remember exactly which one.

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-21-2016, 09:47 AM
This thread is making me hungry. You are all evil.

Fortuantly I have new cadburys cream egg biscuit things today...

Psychosplodge
03-21-2016, 10:01 AM
Boubon buscuits. ffs carlisle get your act together.

Chocolate covered cornflake bites.

Toast if you can time it so its still soft just before it goes the consistency of cardboard.

raw crumpets.

raw blocks of jelly.

CoffeeGrunt
03-21-2016, 10:03 AM
Sweet, buttery Jesus this is making the wait for dinner difficult! I'm currently nomming a couple of those biscuits, Xeno. Delicious! I do love cornflake cakes as well, such a simple treat. Also I really love a good curry. Indian, Thai or Chinese, though I tend to prefer Indian. Just damn filling and tasty.

Jelly and ice-cream, or Angel's Delight! Holdover from childhood, delicious nostalgia.

I'm also jealous of your local, Mystery. I'd love a place that puts on cool does like that.

Psychosplodge
03-21-2016, 10:09 AM
T
Fortuantly I have new cadburys cream egg biscuit things today...

I'd be jealous, but cadbury's creme eggs taste like mud these days.

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-21-2016, 10:14 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Uib2VBY6zqo/Uu0HPl1Y0DI/AAAAAAAAF2o/sOp2bzE16qM/s1600/burtons+cadbury+creme+egg+biscuits+2.JPG

https://www.est-accountants.co.uk/images/Jaffa.jpg

Psychosplodge
03-21-2016, 10:17 AM
*shudder*

Asymmetrical Xeno
I had to take off my gas mask to eat them btw

grimmas
Ahh Jaffa cakes. Has anyone ever opened a box and not eaten the lot in one sitting?

Psychosplodge
03-21-2016, 10:18 AM
Yes. I bit into one once and my reaction was more "why did you let me put that in my mouth?"

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-21-2016, 10:20 AM
Heretic!!

CoffeeGrunt
03-21-2016, 10:20 AM
I've had to stop buying them for that exact reason. Then again, I had a horrible habit of emptying packets of anything that got close to me. D:

I'm quite a fan of fancier crisps as well, actually. I used to be a proppa' Walkers Cheese and Onion bloke, but Sensations, Phileas Fogg and Kettle Chips are just way more delicious.

Oooh, actually, one for the nostalgia!
https://chipreview.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/space-raiders-beef.jpg

Brakkart
03-21-2016, 10:23 AM
raw blocks of jelly.

Oh absolutely! Love these.

grimmas
03-21-2016, 10:32 AM
Yes. I bit into one once and my reaction was more "why did you let me put that in my mouth?"

Good god it's you, you're the One!

- - - Updated - - -

I've had to stop buying them for that exact reason. Then again, I had a horrible habit of emptying packets of anything that got close to me. D:

I'm quite a fan of fancier crisps as well, actually. I used to be a proppa' Walkers Cheese and Onion bloke, but Sensations, Phileas Fogg and Kettle Chips are just way more delicious.

Oooh, actually, one for the nostalgia!
https://chipreview.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/space-raiders-beef.jpg

Oh dear you've got the diet munchies real bad, haven't you?

CoffeeGrunt
03-21-2016, 10:51 AM
Horrifically. I'd eat literally anything that would reverse two months of weight loss right now, haha.

Haighus
03-21-2016, 10:57 AM
Damn this thread! I'm currently eating my way through a packet o' pork pies... XD
Horrifically. I'd eat literally anything that would reverse two months of weight loss right now, haha.
I'm trying to think of comfort foods that are diet friendly, but am struggling a bit... Grapes? I can demolish a packet of grapes.
Ooh and pistachio nuts!

CoffeeGrunt
03-21-2016, 11:01 AM
Fruit isn't great because of the sugar, but I'm learning to love fruit salads. The more variety, the better. Also Alpen Light bars are pretty solid, actually.

I'm thinking I might make chicken and rice again tonight. Throw in some fajita seasoning and it's actually really tasty.

grimmas
03-21-2016, 11:02 AM
Grapes were my thing while trying to make weight. They do get pricey because you'll find you can put away a phenomenal amount.

Haighus
03-21-2016, 11:07 AM
Better than other snacks though- there are usually less than 90 calories in a banana, over 200 in a Mars bar, which is smaller than the banana. The sugar in fruit only really becomes an issue in fruit juice, which is full of the stuff, and maybe in dates, which are basically a skin full of soggy sugar. Dates are also really tasty...

CoffeeGrunt
03-21-2016, 11:14 AM
Strawberries as well are lovely. I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to apples, though. Only eat Pink Lady, as they're normally massive and juicy. :P

Talking about liking fruit still isn't undoing all the want for unhealthy stuff though. This thread will be the death of me...

Haighus
03-21-2016, 11:19 AM
Pink Ladies are excellent. I'm also a big fan of sour apples like the venerable Granny Smith too...
Strawberries can be a mixed bag. I find the enormous Spanish strawberries to be quite bland, the little tiny British ones are generally much tastier, but then they are seasonal and not cheap. We had some plants back home, which was always nice if we could get them before the bloody birds did. They used to get all the blackcurrants before they were ripe too. Was pretty much just the blackberries up the fields that they didn't get before we had a chance.

Kirsten
03-21-2016, 12:02 PM
Only eat Pink Lady, as they're normally massive and juicy.

Just Tony
03-21-2016, 11:47 PM
We have an Irish gastropub in my town that I am in love with, so I'd say either Shepherd's Pie or a good sized helping of Bangers and Mash.

Psychosplodge
03-22-2016, 02:32 AM
Good god it's you, you're the One!

Yes. I am. It's true. I am the One.

Mr Mystery
03-22-2016, 06:25 AM
We have an Irish gastropub in my town that I am in love with, so I'd say either Shepherd's Pie or a good sized helping of Bangers and Mash.

Never been a big fan of Shepherd's nor Cottage Pie. Not sure why, as it's basically Mince and Tatties in a slightly different form.

Oh....and Haggis. Gorgeous stuff Haggis.

Psychosplodge
03-22-2016, 06:28 AM
proper home made roast potatos.... nomnomnom

Mr Mystery
03-22-2016, 06:30 AM
Parboil peeled spuds.

Chuck about in a colander during the draining to fluff them up.

Bung them in a hot roasting tin with Goose Fat.

Sprinkle on seasalt and toss around in the Fat.

Back in the oven, cook until done.

That's my Mumsie's way, and I without word of a lie I nearly cried on the first bite.

Psychosplodge
03-22-2016, 06:36 AM
None of that pissing about, just roasted in the beef fat round the joint...

Mr Mystery
03-22-2016, 06:39 AM
You don't know what you're missing dude.

Psychosplodge
03-22-2016, 06:39 AM
I do, it's just what we're both used to isn't it?

Mr Mystery
03-22-2016, 06:44 AM
Oh indeed. Classic Roasties are damn good too, but I urge you try to the Goose Fat version :)

As for roasts....I prefer a roast chicken. Mostly because living on my own I can get three, sometimes four days of meals out a single roast chicken.

Psychosplodge
03-22-2016, 06:45 AM
I have, but probably not with the parboiling bit :D

You can do the same for a joint, sandwhiches and stuff...

CoffeeGrunt
03-22-2016, 06:46 AM
A proper fry-up. Get your sausages, beans, black pudding, hash browns, bacon, fried eggs, fried bread, scrambled egg, half a tomato and tuck in. Scottish lorn sausage is highly recommended. I used to hate black pudding 'til we found a good butcher from Scotland who delivers to England, and holy Mary is that stuff just delicious.

...It's been so long since I had a fry-up, I think you can tell. :P

eldargal
03-22-2016, 06:47 AM
I have, but probably not with the parboiling bit :D

You can do the same for a joint, sandwhiches and stuff...

Parboiling is vital! It's how you get them super crispy.

Mr Mystery
03-22-2016, 06:50 AM
A proper fry-up. Get your sausages, beans, black pudding, hash browns, bacon, fried eggs, fried bread, scrambled egg, half a tomato and tuck in. Scottish lorn sausage is highly recommended. I used to hate black pudding 'til we found a good butcher from Scotland who delivers to England, and holy Mary is that stuff just delicious.

...It's been so long since I had a fry-up, I think you can tell. :P

Black Pudding to me should be a little burned and crispy on the outside, but cut thick enough to still be gooey on the inside.

Bung in a buttered roll with a soft yolked fried egg on top, dollop of HP, and you're in heaven. Blood and Foetus roll for the win!

Psychosplodge
03-22-2016, 06:50 AM
Next time I make my own I'll consider it.

Best thing about stopping away somewhere is going to find a proper breakfast :D

Mr Mystery
03-22-2016, 02:54 PM
Aye. And Curry.

Chicken Madras for me, with a Garlic Naan, Onion Bhaji, and some Sag Aloo. Luvverly.

If any of our American chums are yet to really discover Curry, I strongly urge them to do so.

Haighus
03-22-2016, 03:30 PM
I am partial to a chicken madras myself. Never been a fan of fried eggs though- grew up on poached eggs and just find them both tastier and more satisfying.

All this talk of parsnips makes me want to have some more of my Granddad's parsnips- he grows a bunch of veg in his garden every year, and I reckon he'll be running out of the parsnips soon, them being seasonal and all. Nothing like homegrown roast parsnips.

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-22-2016, 04:53 PM
mmmmm curry. Yellow curry is my fave, and luckily for me my old mans GF is a thai chef so I get the best stuff too.

Anyone here guilty of enjoying a pot noodle? I have a soft spot for the occasional bombay badboy, the black coloured pot goes well with my dress sense.

Haighus
03-22-2016, 05:18 PM
I like instant noodles a lot, mainly Nissin and Nong Shim noodles, but I'm not a fan of the brand Pot Noodles- I find them to be pretty bland and flavourless compared to the other products on the market. Especially when taking into account their high price.

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-22-2016, 07:06 PM
I agree really, I only really like that one flavour myself. Not tried either of those brands but will check them out. I am a noodle fiend, perhaps cos they remind me of tentacles - so it feels like I'm eating a lovecraft monster.

Brakkart
03-22-2016, 08:04 PM
Love Super Noodles, have done since I was a kid. I've tried many other sorts of "instant" noodles over the years including Pot Noodles and to me none of them compare to the simple pleasure of a packet of super noodles with a stock cube tossed in for added flavour and plenty of buttered bread to go with it. My ultimate comfort food though has to be chips n dip, ideally Dorito's cheese tortilla chips with a pot of their brand hot salsa. Snack heaven for me.

CoffeeGrunt
03-23-2016, 03:35 AM
I'm not a big fan of instant noodles, but the proper stuff is delicious.

Also, my manager just returned from a trip around Nothern India, and brought back some Soan Papdi, which is apparently a traditional sweet over there. It's interesting. I can best describe it as sugar-fibreglass with flavouring. Very crumbly and flaky, melts immediately in the mouth. Not the best sweet I've ever tried, but still pretty nice.

Best sweet treat probably goes to a Portuguese egg-custard tart that's spiced and put in flaky suet pastry. I can't remember the exact name of it, but a Portuguese lady who used to work here brought them in now-and-then, and they were delicious.

Mr Mystery
03-23-2016, 07:04 AM
Just for Lols (I'm actually quite partial to Beef and Tomato flavour)

http://viz.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Screen-Shot-2015-06-03-at-12.00.13.png