PDA

View Full Version : Good Foam Cutting Tools?

Schnitzel
04-24-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm currently working on scratch building a Warhound titan and have bought a large panel of "blue foam" (styrofoam/extruded foam) and have commenced to hacking it apart to make the core of this model. Unfortunately, I've realized that my simple GW saw and hobby knife just aren't up for the task of deep, clean cuts.

From your experience, what tools have worked best for you for cutting through condensed foam such as this?

Thanks.

Rift Knight
04-24-2010, 07:43 PM
In my limited experience with foam (1 and 2 inch foam insulation used to make hills) the "Hot Wire/ Hot Knives" seem to be the best. Though I'm not sure which product line in that category is the best/most useful.

Diehard
04-24-2010, 10:09 PM
For rough cuts you can beat a big serrated knife. I normally use a cheap bread knife as they tend to stay sharp the longest and are easy to find. For smoother cuts get a large matte knife or snap blade. You want the widest blade you can get. This makes it easier to get good straight cuts. Thinner blades tend to wander so wider is better. The last option is a hot wire or hot knife. Both allow for some really clean cuts but take a little getting used to. For these I prefer the DIY route over the commercial units. This way you can build it to fit the size project that you are working on. Take the ones that I use as an example. I have a bow style with a 10" throat that is perfect to day to day modeling. I have a 12" scroll saw that works like a compound miter saw so I can do all sorts of angled cuts. This one also has a circle attachment for making cones and other round objects. Last it the big boy. This one is designed to cut up to 36" wide pieces at 3" thick like a big table saw. I have a few other small cutters for specific shapes like the rabbit cutter for joining pieces together. If you want o build one yourself here is a short video on how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vINubrSwmSQ&feature=related

henrythesecond
04-25-2010, 10:39 AM
For cutting most types and thicknesses of foam your best bet is a Hot Wire Cutter / Knife.

My recommendation is one of the box sets from HOT WIRE FOAM FACTORY. I've owned a
2 in 1 box set for about 3 years and used it heavily in building my terrain boards.

Unfortunately, when I moved house recently, the box containing my modelling tools was
the only box to be lost (my wife swears it wasn't a cunning plan...). But happily I've just
ordered a replacement!!

The 2 in 1 set includes a Sculptor tool and Blade all contained in a box, along with a DVD
on how to use the tools.

The TerraGenesis website have a really good review of the product.

That's my 2p worth.

Regards.