PDA

View Full Version : 30 years of space marines event

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-15-2016, 08:49 AM
https://warofsigmar.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/blogging/picture1/541/12782204_10153529758563546_1954024892_n-Copy.jpg

Via the ever awesome Lady Atia / https://war-of-sigmar.herokuapp.com/bloggings/541

----

my guess is it is probably the horus heresy as the next game (?)

Path Walker
03-15-2016, 08:54 AM
That's annoyingly the same day as Salute, the biggest wargaming convention in the UK (and I think possibly Europe?) still I guess I could pop in to a London store to see whats happening afterwards.

Mr Mystery
03-15-2016, 09:00 AM
Interesting....

I shall make sure I keep some munneh back for the (presumably) inevitable commemorative model.

Path Walker
03-15-2016, 09:18 AM
I need more plastic Space Marine captains!

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-15-2016, 09:20 AM
If I was able to travel I'd rather go to salute myself but am curious to see what this is all about too, yeah itll probably have another plastic SM captain too lol

Path Walker
03-15-2016, 10:28 AM
Salute is pretty awesome, loads of cool little companies making models you get to see in the flesh for the first time, plus its a chance to meet up with some people I don't see often. It's also a great place to player "Gamer Bingo"

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-15-2016, 11:05 AM
I enjoy watching the coverage that beasts of war does on Salute, probably the closest I'll ever get to going.

Mr Mystery
03-15-2016, 12:03 PM
Exclusive figure, many events, and much more.

I r translate

Brakkart
03-15-2016, 12:07 PM
Yay I can always use another Captain with Power Fist and Plasma Pistol... :rolleyes: I know they are iconic, but really hoping for something else this time around, techmarine would be nice, not got any of those in plastic yet.

Erik Setzer
03-15-2016, 12:31 PM
Hopefully the local store will have some of the figure, and enough to go around. Would be nice if it's a Marine wearing Mark VI armor, a nod to the originals.

Fist of Dorn
03-22-2016, 04:15 AM
It really should be a 'beakie' nice to see the Wombles back in town

Psychosplodge
03-22-2016, 04:56 AM
The video they released says ask in store, you know all they've told so far? Nothing.
They've got the english version of the leaflet and don't know any details regarding quantities/prices/availability or anything about the marine. so what's the point of bloody asking in store?

CoffeeGrunt
03-22-2016, 05:49 AM
Yeah, I'm going to Salute this year, so I won't be popping up to the city for this.

Erik Setzer
03-25-2016, 11:18 AM
The video they released says ask in store, you know all they've told so far? Nothing.
They've got the english version of the leaflet and don't know any details regarding quantities/prices/availability or anything about the marine. so what's the point of bloody asking in store?

It's that bloody bunker mentality... Even the store managers aren't told things until the last second. Makes it hard to get people pumped up for an event or release when you have no idea what's happening or when.

Brakkart
03-30-2016, 05:32 PM
The limited edition 30th anniversary marine is this chap:

Cost £18 or free if you spend £100 in store on the 16th.

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-30-2016, 05:51 PM
That's a cool sculpt, an obvious update on the original Rogue Trader first marine model, but I wont be buying one myself.

Denzark
03-31-2016, 12:48 AM
AX - yes - this is a homage to the first ever marine sculpt. Odd that on the BoLS front page the accompanying blurb doesn't seem to realise that and implies they aimed for and missed the RTB01 style.

Mr Mystery
03-31-2016, 12:59 AM
I like it, and shall be in-store to buy/obtain one for Defo.

Cutter
03-31-2016, 01:50 AM
The limited edition 30th anniversary marine is this chap:

So an updated version of LE2.

It has a certain charm, but I have 4 of the originals in lead and 10 in white metal from the Silver Skulls promo of the previous millennium.

I think I'm good.

++

I'm not just good, I'm fantastic.

Mr Mystery
03-31-2016, 02:01 AM
It's £18.

Or free if you spend £100 on other stuff.

grimmas
03-31-2016, 02:13 AM
Now now Msytery don't let facts get in the way of Internet torch waving.

I'm getting one it's actually a remake of the first space marine, awesome, pose, gun and everything. The only question is whether or not I get a squad and FWs old school Land Raider so I can recreate the vignette for the RT rule book. Or more accurately if I can get it and the wife not find out.

Kirsten
03-31-2016, 02:15 AM
does look pretty cool

Mr Mystery
03-31-2016, 02:46 AM
And, plastic, I assume?

Reckon I can stretch to the £100, but perversely not on 40k stuff.

Skellington Horde box, Pestilens book, Pestilens novel, leaves by my reckoning....£15. Chuck in some new brushes and I'm pretty much there.

CoffeeGrunt
03-31-2016, 02:54 AM
Heck, I might order one just for display reasons.

Kirsten
03-31-2016, 03:18 AM
is it April 16th? there are a few direct only things I could perhaps order from GW, like basilisks. maybe some khorne bloodbound

Mr Mystery
03-31-2016, 04:52 AM
I believe it is indeed April 16.

Godbeasts should be out by then as well? That and the three new Bloodbound character models should get you very near the £100.

Kirsten
03-31-2016, 05:20 AM
haven't bought any of the books yet, not that interested at the moment.

Mr Mystery
03-31-2016, 05:22 AM
Ah fair enough :)

Erik Setzer
03-31-2016, 07:48 AM
Well, the "it's free if you drop this significantly higher chunk of change" line doesn't really help people. Some folks might not have that much money on hand, and that part of the promo is mainly to try to get revenue to flow directly through GW stores rather than FLGS's. I *might* get the Marine, but I'll have to drop $30 if I do, because I'd rather direct my other money to the FLGS that is going to provide me a better place to play games in general, lets me play multiple systems, and keeps a small business owner going (especially one who's been managing or owning a store for about 30 years himself). He deserves that ~$150 more than GW does, even if I just spend it on GW product.

And right now, I can't see that much in GW product I want. I'd have to get the Pestilens book, Pestilens SC! box, and the GA: Order book, all in one go... but while I could use the SC! box, if I'm dropping around $80-$90 on gaming stuff, I think I want to grab Dungeon Saga or a couple of other board games, stuff I'm more likely to use. Can't think of anything 40K to buy, because at this point trying to get most of my armies to the point I'm not getting curb-stomped to a depressing degree would take a lot of money. (That's the problem with building an army to match the fluff, or using models you like, or don't buy all the new hotness... you end up with an army that can't compete, and every match becomes a life-draining hours-long event where the result is inevitable. But that's a whole other issue.)

grimmas
03-31-2016, 08:15 AM
?

Erik Setzer
03-31-2016, 08:24 AM
?

If that's in response to me, I was rambling on my own plans on how I might go about getting one of these guys. And also not enthused with how people portray things, but... eh.

Somewhat related but maybe not, I've got a pair of old models that look like those old Marines, but they've got molded "bases" on them, rather than a slot to put in a base, and there's some very minor differences. They say "AA1990" on the bottom, from what I can make out. I wonder if they're GW, or someone else did something similar around the time, and who it might be. One's carrying a gun that looks more like a basic rifle and kind of pointing, the other looks like a Chaplain (skull mask, holding up a rosarius) IIRC. Might be able to do a photo of them when I get home, but does anyone know of something like this?

Psychosplodge
04-04-2016, 02:58 PM
yeah I'll be having at least one.

Erik Setzer
04-05-2016, 08:37 AM
Have to say, as much as I think $30 for single models in normal cases is pretty stupid (and it's more obvious how stupid it is when you release a box of three packaged together at about half price), I don't think the $30 price tag is a huge issue here, since it's a limited edition model and rare items tend to have a bit of a premium baked into the price. You're not paying for the model so much as you are paying for the rarity. It's like a Limited Edition codex or rulebook.

zanth
04-05-2016, 10:27 AM
Have to say, as much as I think $30 for single models in normal cases is pretty stupid (and it's more obvious how stupid it is when you release a box of three packaged together at about half price), I don't think the $30 price tag is a huge issue here, since it's a limited edition model and rare items tend to have a bit of a premium baked into the price. You're not paying for the model so much as you are paying for the rarity. It's like a Limited Edition codex or rulebook.

I hope I can get a decent number of them for my players. :/

Wolf of Winter
04-05-2016, 10:35 AM
Erik I think those are from Alternative Armies who tried to cash in on the Space Marine popularity back in the early-mid 90s. I had some of those myself. They were pretty cool!

If that's in response to me, I was rambling on my own plans on how I might go about getting one of these guys. And also not enthused with how people portray things, but... eh.

Somewhat related but maybe not, I've got a pair of old models that look like those old Marines, but they've got molded "bases" on them, rather than a slot to put in a base, and there's some very minor differences. They say "AA1990" on the bottom, from what I can make out. I wonder if they're GW, or someone else did something similar around the time, and who it might be. One's carrying a gun that looks more like a basic rifle and kind of pointing, the other looks like a Chaplain (skull mask, holding up a rosarius) IIRC. Might be able to do a photo of them when I get home, but does anyone know of something like this?

Erik Setzer
04-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Erik I think those are from Alternative Armies who tried to cash in on the Space Marine popularity back in the early-mid 90s. I had some of those myself. They were pretty cool!

Looks like that's it! Thanks!

zanth
04-05-2016, 02:52 PM
Ugh, only two for my shop. Gonna have some disappointed players. :/

Mr Mystery
04-13-2016, 10:44 AM
So is there any confirmation as to whether you do get this free if you spend £100?

I need to know, because it's the difference between Assassination Force, and Deathwatch,

NVM - Confirmed via local manager.

Deathwatch Overkill it is, then!

OOOOH....and I need to get Ninja Chris a birthday pressie.

Erik Setzer
04-14-2016, 09:13 PM

I did something kind of stupid this week... I'd dozed off on the way home, missed my stop on the bus, got off down by the GW store. Stopped in, figured I'd just nab the Order GA book for AoS since the FLGS didn't have it. And some paints, because hey, I was rebasing some Nurgle and Skaven (Pestilens) to use as a combined force, and needed to make sure I had the paints. Then I also figured heck, might as well grab the Pestilens SC! box while I was at it, to have the big kits I didn't already have (and some new Plague Monks to put on round bases, because I'm not rebasing all my plastics or mixing round and square bases if possible). Came up to a bit over $150. If I'd just waited a few days, I'd be able to qualify for the free Marine and save $30... but I wouldn't have had a bunch of models that are now assembled ready to paint and play games with.

D'oh.

Sad thing is, I'd bet the old manager would have given me credit for making the purchase anyway. That the new guy would try to squeeze another $150 out of me the same week I already dropped that amount is one reason I avoid the shop these days. :(