PDA

View Full Version : Gav thorpe on AoS

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-14-2016, 04:07 PM
Really great article, very interesting and his replies to the comments deserve respect too ;
http://gavthorpe.co.uk/2016/03/06/warbeast-authors-notes/

grimmas
03-15-2016, 06:54 AM
Great find Xeno. It's a really interesting article. I'm calling the Vatican to nominate Mr Thorpe for a sainthood his patience and politeness while dealing with some of those comment was above and beyond. I couldn't help thinking "so this is why GW won't talk to us!" while reading some of them.

Mr Mystery
03-15-2016, 07:03 AM
Yup.

I've got no problem with people not enjoying the new setting, to each their own as ever, but when they start confusing opinion with irrefutable fact, it's absolutely no wonder GW don't engage with the community - it only takes a single over-entitled individual to begin drowning out more interesting topics and conversations.

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-15-2016, 07:12 AM
Great find Xeno. It's a really interesting article. I'm calling the Vatican to nominate Mr Thorpe for a sainthood his patience and politeness while dealing with some of those comment was above and beyond. I couldn't help thinking "so this is why GW won't talk to us!" while reading some of them.

Yeah, if I had comments like some of those regarding the stuff I make I'd of probably lost it and spued pointless insults and gotten angry myself. My respect for him has just gone up.

Auticus
03-15-2016, 07:40 AM
I was a player when GW had their own forums back in the late 90s early 00s. Having seen those forums, I know exactly why GW doesn't want to interact with its fans. I wouldn't either.

Path Walker
03-15-2016, 07:56 AM
Even these forums are enough to see why you just wouldn't bother. Customer interaction is massively overrated.

Mr Mystery
03-15-2016, 09:59 AM
Also....

I don't think this game is terribly mature. In fact it's downright childish. So I'm going to throw teddy from the pram and throw a right proper 'on the floor kicking and screaming' wobbler because this company that is in no way beholden to my wishes didn't do exactly as I wanted

Path Walker
03-15-2016, 10:24 AM
"This game is for babies and its ruined my serious wargame" * waves a lighter at a Dark Elf army trying to set it alight*

Caitsidhe
03-15-2016, 12:01 PM
You guys are a hoot. Customer interaction is massively overrated? :D Shall we take our bets now on the next report, i.e. on how much sales will dip again? I was correct the last three. Who wants to go on record with me now in a friendly wager about the next one? I'll stick with my overrated notion that customer interaction, i.e. the customer is always right craziness and make my predictions. So who is ready to put their money where their virtual mouths are?

Mr Mystery
03-15-2016, 12:05 PM
No you weren"t.

You predicted a drop of around 5-10%, and at constant currency sales went up.

grimmas
03-15-2016, 02:12 PM
They did specifically in the USA which is really rather pertinent given the "evidence" for someone's "predictions". But you can argue anything with facts.

Mr Mystery
03-15-2016, 02:47 PM
Giving yourself a 5% margin of error in your 'prediction' is hardly accuracy - especially as being economical with the truth already, he's claimed a further 10% leeway as still being accurate.

That sort of 'my financial predictions are spot on' has a nasty tendency to **** economies, after all.....

Captain Bubonicus
03-15-2016, 04:18 PM
Way to polish that turd, Gav!

Mr Mystery
03-15-2016, 04:30 PM
*ducks aforementioned low flying teddy*

There there, Petal.

Lexington
03-15-2016, 08:29 PM
No you weren"t.

You predicted a drop of around 5-10%, and at constant currency sales went up.
Revenue was up, but revenue from sales was actually down by, I think, 3 - 4%? The difference being made up by licensing revenue.

Mr Mystery
03-16-2016, 12:21 AM
Up is up - and Caitsidhe was well out on his mindless speculation.

CoffeeGrunt
03-16-2016, 06:52 AM
It's kinda irrelevant picking at aspects of what GW does as being responsible for loss of revenue. There's a lot of other options out there, in the same manner I like a good chippy for tea, but don't throw all my money on it because there's a wide variety of other foods to have. Even if GW remade Battlefleet Gothic, I'd still probably play Halo Fleet Battles over it because fanboy, and a release of Epic: Armageddon wouldn't necessarily make me sell my Dropzone stuff.

Caitsidhe
03-22-2016, 05:40 PM
Up is up - and Caitsidhe was well out on his mindless speculation.

Was I? :D I will actually go back and quote from the appropriate post when I'm not at work and then match it to the appropriate report. However, I thought you might enjoy the bit below:

http://www.stockcaller.com/it-seems-games-workshop-group-plc-will-go-down-just-reaches-52-week-low/62454/

40kGamer
03-22-2016, 06:28 PM
Gav appears to have the patience of Job. The game and setting just are not for me but I'm ever hopeful it will bring players into the community that eventually expand into other things... like Epic. :)