PDA

View Full Version : A few questions to those playing both 40k and Warmachine

MrManson
04-23-2010, 02:41 AM
Hi everyone! This might be a bit long, but don't worry, it wont be a bashing of either system. Rather, it will consist of a few questions that those who play both systems might help me with.

Me and my friends have played 40k for a long time, and from time to time, it's felt a bit stale. Now I'm looking at doing a kind of story-driven campaign, using fewer, more individual models. At first I looked at the Necromunda-rules, but then it hit me; everyone seem to like the Warmachine rules a lot, perhaps those could be used instead. Basically, I'm looking at playing Warmachine using a few 40k figures. But, I'm totally lost at where to begin.

As I really don't know the rules for Warmachine I'm looking for help with identifying Warmachine-figures (ruleswise) that could represent some of the following 40k-models:

Wordbearers: Perhaps something from the Protectorate of Menoth to represent their religious fanatism? Light warjacks as Terminators? A heavy warjack as a dreadnought? A lot of fire is their theme, right?

Sisters of Battle: Again, Protectorate of Menoth might be the right way to go, but suggestions are very welcome.

Dark Mechanicus: Cryx perhaps? Any other ideas?

Night Lords: I'm totally lost here. Cygnar? Khador?

Any help, tips, ideas and suggestions are more than welcome and greatly appreciated!
/Manson

murrburger
04-23-2010, 03:33 AM
It's really hard to do because each warjack/caster has unique weapons/abilities. You could make it work, but it'd be a hell of a lot to keep track of. Especially with different base sizes/etc.

Did you guys look into Inquisitor, or the old Kill Team rules? I'm sure if you modify the old Kill Team rules, you could easily make a small skirmish game.

I'd suggest Dark Heresy, but I think it's missing a lot of the races, and it's quite an investment just for a small campaign...

tonyzahn
04-23-2010, 01:33 PM
I guess it really comes down to this: do you want to play Warmachine with 40k models, or 40k with Warmachine rules.

If the first case then you're just proxying, which is fine, but you're going to have to conform to WM list-building rules, which may not be what you're going for. It's the easiest route to go though.

If the second case, I've thought of doing this before, and the tricky part is coming up with WM-style stats for 40k units. This would probably give you the "feel" your going for, but there's a lot more overhead.

You can download the Warmachine quickstart rules here (http://privateerpress.com/files/WarmachineMKII%20Quick%20Start%20Rules%20Front.pdf )to see if you can make things work out the way you want. The quickstart rules don't have the rules for units though, just warcasters and warjacks.

Dreadnoughts as Heavy Warjacks are probably spot on, I think Terminators more fit the bill of multi-would infantry like Men-or-War though.

stampdog316
05-03-2010, 05:33 AM
If you admire the Warmachine models and sometimes find 40K" a little stale" I would go ahead and just give Wramachine a try. The rules are free and you can proxy whatever models you don't own. IMHO you will be pleasently surprised.