PDA

View Full Version : Understanding rules

Wedge
04-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Howdy,

I am a first-timer with Warhammer 40k tabletop games. I would like to explain my situation before starting asking questions.

I am deaf and English is my second language and I bought Warhammer 40k "Assault on the Black Reach" few days ago. I tried to master the understanding about the rules on the tabletop from the rule book I read that "Assault on the Black Reach" provided but I'm still vague with it. (My understanding of Warhammer 40k tabletop game is similar to Game Boy Advance "Advance War" videogame but with more details and descriptions involving dices and social-friendly battle games)

My question is, since deaf culture depends heavily on visual to understand, is there such thing as video/clips tutorial showing on how to play Warhammer 40k step-by-step with subtitles attached to it or a typed version of walkthrough?

I tried to go to couple of Warhammer 40k club and meet some people who's willing to help out but most of them shunned me aside because they dont find any good way of communicating with me just to teach me. (Basically, they're too lazy to write papers back and forth, they just want to play.)

Any suggestions or tips?

Tynskel
04-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Howdy,

I am a first-timer with Warhammer 40k tabletop games. I would like to explain my situation before starting asking questions.

I am deaf and English is my second language and I bought Warhammer 40k "Assault on the Black Reach" few days ago. I tried to master the understanding about the rules on the tabletop from the rule book I read that "Assault on the Black Reach" provided but I'm still vague with it. (My understanding of Warhammer 40k tabletop game is similar to Game Boy Advance "Advance War" videogame but with more details and descriptions involving dices and social-friendly battle games)

My question is, since deaf culture depends heavily on visual to understand, is there such thing as video/clips tutorial showing on how to play Warhammer 40k step-by-step with subtitles attached to it or a typed version of walkthrough?

I tried to go to couple of Warhammer 40k club and meet some people who's willing to help out but most of them shunned me aside because they dont find any good way of communicating with me just to teach me. (Basically, they're too lazy to write papers back and forth, they just want to play.)

Any suggestions or tips?

Those *******s!

I would say the best place to go would be to a Games-Workshop store. I have found that the people in the GW store are friendlier, and the employees like to demonstrate the game too.

When it comes down to it: 40k is best understood when actually played. A lot of the stuff on this forum is theory, and looks 'good' on paper--- but the game is tactile in nature- and true theories only come through rigorous testing--- playing the game.

plasticaddict
04-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Where are you located? You might be able to find someone near you who would be willing to teach you the game. I'm located in San Antonio, TX, if you're in the area I'd be happy to spend the time to help you learn the game.

Wedge
04-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Where are you located? You might be able to find someone near you who would be willing to teach you the game. I'm located in San Antonio, TX, if you're in the area I'd be happy to spend the time to help you learn the game.

That's nice of you. Unfortunately, I'm located in Utah. I did searched the "Store locator" through Games Workshop website and there are several independent retailer nearby in my area but considering with the lousy approaches I've had with some of the Warhammer 40k player, I'm going to let it cool off for few weeks and build/paint my models until I'm ready and approach some of the other players.

Nabterayl
04-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Hmmmm, yeah, not that I know of. For what it's worth, I'm sure the rules forum folks here would love to answer your rules questions, however dumb they may seem to you. I know it's just more English words, which isn't what you're looking for, but at least we have the time to answer your questions without the pressure of a game. And while the number of rules debate threads may make it seem like we have a lot of disagreements, those are generally about really nit-picky rules things that hardly ever come up. When it comes to how to play the game I think you'll find that we agree about 95% of the time.

Culven
04-22-2010, 05:13 PM
If English is your second language, you may want to try finding some forums in your native language. It may help you learn the basics of the game without tripping over the linguistic junk heap that is the English language. Once you have the basics down, you can read through the rulebook and have a better understanding of what is going on. Once you feel more confident with the rules, you should go find a group to play with.

Personally, I would be quite happy to teach you 40K if you were to teach me a little bit of your languages. Don't let being deaf keep you from enjoying the game. You just need to find some people who are willing to work with you, and those lazy gits you met aren't like most players. I know my gaming groups have always been willing to work with others to help them enjoy the game. We've had dyslexic players who couldn't read the rulebook, and we had a blind guy who played Battlefleet Gothic quite well. With a little effort from both sides, they learned to play and enjoy the games.

Lerra
04-22-2010, 05:51 PM
There are lots of battle reports written online and in a magazine called White Dwarf. They do not talk about the rules of the game very much, but they talk about the story behind the games. Things like "The Space Marines moved forward and used rapid-fire to destroy the enemy Ork Boyz. Next turn, the Warboss plus a large squad of Nobz assaulted the Space Marines and destroyed the whole unit."

It doesn't tell you very much about the rules but it tells you about the flow of the game. It might also give you some ideas on how to play your army (It is a good idea to shoot Orks. It is a bad idea to be assaulted by Orks).

The rules of 40k are hard to learn, but the game is a lot of fun. Is your first language ASL, or a spoken/written language? There are rule books in many languages and we might be able to find a digital copy of one for you.

Wedge
04-22-2010, 06:35 PM
There are rule books in many languages and we might be able to find a digital copy of one for you.

I don't mean to laugh but it's difficult to find a copy of ASL written version because ASL are visual language that we deaf people use. Our reading is same as English but as I said earlier, it's not the strongest suit of my language. (Dont let my typing fool you, I can type and sign well with English/ASL but reading is confusing.)

I'll try and stop at local bookstore to read "White Dwarf" and probably PM'ing some of you folks about some of the rules related to Warhammer.

Thanks.

DarkLink
04-22-2010, 11:21 PM
I'll try and stop at local bookstore to read "White Dwarf" and probably PM'ing some of you folks about some of the rules related to Warhammer.

Thanks.

That's a good way to start. Unfortuantely we can't really post broad explanations of the rules here, only specific cases.

Hopefully you meet some friendlier individuals and get to play.

synack
04-22-2010, 11:44 PM
How old are you and can you lip read?

I used to play poker with a deaf guy. He could communicate fine with everyone as he could lip read and if we didn't understand what he was saying, he'd quickly type out a message on his mobile phone and let us read. If he didn't understand us, we'd do the same.

If you want to learn the rules better, I don't think you're gonna get help at a store. Perhaps if you asked one of the staff memebers, or another player, if they could play a game with you privately, to help you better understand the rules. In the store, I think everyone wants to just come in and play and leave, like you said, but in a private situation, there's more time as you don't have to rush.

Crae
04-23-2010, 07:10 AM
Hiya mate.
I kinda get where you are coming from, since my dad is deaf too. My second language is English, so I know how complicated it can be, understanding some of the rules. I am "sadly" from Denmark (not that I don't like Denmark :P) and the sign language I know is the Danish version, so I'm not sure how much it would help, if I tried to make a video of some of the questions you might have. It is to bad that they don't make battle reports on Bols like they used to do in the old White dwarf magazines with arrows and such, that would help understanding some of the strategies they use (and hereby I suggest Bols start doing that :p).
I hope you find some on that will teach you, since it really isn't easy to learn when your deaf.

Good luck mate