PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade options for Chaos Bikers

N-Bomb
04-22-2010, 01:52 PM
I was wondering (due to poor planning during assembly of figures) can a model from a chaos biker unit be given a melta gun and a chaos icon. It doesn't specifically say "another model" as with certain other codices, but at the same time it doesn't really say anywhere you can.

I was wondering if there were any ways to be definitive with correctly using a chaos bike with an icon of khorne and a melta gun.

I don't see anything wrong with it, but I can understand both sides of the argument, usually each model, other than sergeants/champions are given only 1 "upgrade" each, but I can understand it doesn't really say you can't to my knowledge.

Culven
04-22-2010, 02:40 PM
I believe the Bikes unit entry only states "up to two CSM Bikers may have . . . Meltagun" and "one model may have an Icon". Nothing prevents a model from having a Meltagun and an Icon. I think you could even give the Icon to the Aspiring. Wound allocation tactics and a desire to not have all of one's eggs in a single basket are the two reasons not to do so. The rules don't prohibit it.

N-Bomb
04-22-2010, 02:58 PM
That's what I thought and I believe it's correct.

I don't think the aspiring champion could be given it because when one is "upgraded to an Aspiring champion" they are kind of seperate from the normal unit (as they have a new profile) but I have no proof of this, just my thought

Tynskel
04-22-2010, 03:23 PM
That's what I thought and I believe it's correct.

I don't think the aspiring champion could be given it because when one is "upgraded to an Aspiring champion" they are kind of seperate from the normal unit (as they have a new profile) but I have no proof of this, just my thought

The key word here is 'model'

The rest of the section: Two Chaos Bikers can have meltaguns

Bike Champion is not a Chaos biker, therefore cannot take the meltagun

However, the Biker Champion is a 'model', and could be given the icon.

Usually, I don't recommend all your fun equipment to be on one model, but if you are taking a large squad of Bikers 7-10, I would give the Champion the icon, he's gunna be that last guy you will assign wounds to, because it is usually difficult to wound enough bikers in one unit's shooting to get enough wounds.

Do note: Biker Champions with Power Weapons rock: they have 2 CC weapons, and will get 4 attacks on the charge (5 if they are Khorne).

Lykum
04-22-2010, 06:50 PM
Do note: Biker Champions with Power Weapons rock: they have 2 CC weapons, and will get 4 attacks on the charge (5 if they are Khorne).

Unfortunately this isn't true anymore. They replace their CC weapon for the power weapon (p99) so the champion gets 3 attacks. In the old codex the bike was considered to have extra spikes and stuff.

It is kinda lame. One of the main reasons I picked Chaos was because I picked up an old codex at a used bookstore before I got into it.

Edit: Disregard previous. I missed the part about "on the charge".

Tynskel
04-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Unfortunately this isn't true anymore. They replace their CC weapon for the power weapon (p99) so the champion gets 3 attacks. In the old codex the bike was considered to have extra spikes and stuff.

It is kinda lame. One of the main reasons I picked Chaos was because I picked up an old codex at a used bookstore before I got into it.

Edit: Disregard previous. I missed the part about "on the charge".

hmmm...

The book says they have bolt pistol, chainsword--- 2 cc weapons, and the champion has 2 attacks. That's 3- on the charge 4, 5 with mark of khorne.

Chaos bikers are awesome for just being straight bikers.

DarkLink
04-22-2010, 11:14 PM
They're a tad bit overpriced, but I liked them when I played chaos. I didn't own many, but I routinely used them as a suicide melta squad, that also would deliver a summoned Greater Daemon. I also had a biker Lord, whose stories you wouldn't believe. He makes Kharn look like an underachiver. I named him Karde the Immortal.

UltramarineFan
04-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Yes you can give the same model a meltagun and an icon, also you can give the aspiring champion the icon. Just keep in mind that when that guy does you will be losing the effects of that icon. So if you give it to a meltagunner then if he dies you lose the meltagun and the icon's effects.