PDA

View Full Version : Hardboyz or Bust?

Schnitzel
04-21-2010, 08:18 AM
I'm tempted to join in on Hardboyz this year but find myself somewhat hesitant... For me to have the list I want to bring to it I'd have to drop $220 approximate for more mech.
I really want to go, but I'm not entirely sure if its worth dropping so much cash. Care to persuade me?

Lord Azaghul
04-21-2010, 08:28 AM
I really want to go, but I'm not entirely sure if its worth dropping so much cash. Care to persuade me?

No.

2 reasons

1) Hard Boyz seems to bring out the worst players and the worst in players. At the end of the day I still want to have fun with this hobby.

2) everybody pretty much ends up bringing the same list. Bring what you already have.

Schnitzel
04-21-2010, 09:19 AM
I would still like to be able to play in 2500pt games with my game group thats prepping for Hardboyz though. And I hardly doubt these min/max competitive players would even think of taking a list like mine...

Astorath

Stormraven x2

Death Co Dread x2

7 Death Co Marines x2

Razerback x6
Assault Squad w/Melta and Pwpn Sgt x6

Sang Priests w/Combi Flame x3

plasticaddict
04-21-2010, 09:43 AM
I like playing in Ardboyz becauseof the power gaming players that I get to play against. Nothing better than playing against someone who takes the game to seriously and having fun with it. My normal gaming group is made up of guys who like to have fun and we always play nice. However sometimes it's nice to not play nice. It's also nice to play against people I normally don't play against.

Polonius
04-21-2010, 09:57 AM
I would still like to be able to play in 2500pt games with my game group thats prepping for Hardboyz though. And I hardly doubt these min/max competitive players would even think of taking a list like mine...

Especially since I think your list isn't legal. Death company and DC Dreads all take troops slots, and you can't take more than six troops, even at Hard boys, otherwise I'd be fielding even more IG veterans.

As for building an army up for hard boys, seriously think about it. I wouldn't spend a ton of money just on one tournament, but if it's stuff that'll be useful later (in apocolypse, for fielding alternative formations, etc.), then why not?

Also, ask around. Hard boys doesn't require paint, so you can borrow somebody else's tanks if you want.

Schnitzel
04-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Especially since I think your list isn't legal. Death company and DC Dreads all take troops slots, and you can't take more than six troops, even at Hard boys, otherwise I'd be fielding even more IG veterans.

That was a hasty write up of it. There's obviously some kinks to work out. Assault squads are to be combat squaded up.

I had also heard the Death Dreads don't take up a FOC slot... I can't find it in the book though. Probably just here say?

Dingareth
04-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Jesus people, for the last time it's 'Ard Boyz. Not that hard. Actually, not hard at all! 'Ard.

Also, as it's not my money, yes spend over $200 on a slim chance that you may win back $60 at the first round- if you get first. Shoot, if you're asking the internet than I assume that you've already gone to the ATM and are on your way out to the store by now.

BuFFo
04-21-2010, 10:52 AM
I would advise against it, since you seem hesitant.

Schnitzel
04-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Bah, I did it. And to think... Could have spent that towards a Warhound or something cool...
On the upside of things, I now will have a very nicely sized Apoc Force. :D

And if I were to play in 'Ard Boyz, its got nothing to do with the prizes. I honestly don't even care if I win, I just want to get out and play a game that I enjoy. :P

murrburger
04-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Your army still has too many troops...like... four too many.

BuFFo
04-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Bah, I did it. And to think... Could have spent that towards a Warhound or something cool...

And if I were to play in 'Ard Boyz, its got nothing to do with the prizes. I honestly don't even care if I win, I just want to get out and play a game that I enjoy. :P

So what is the point of this thread if you ALREADY spent the money? You know you are going to play in the 'Ard Boyz.

Dingareth
04-21-2010, 12:47 PM

Called it.

Schnitzel
04-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Your army still has too many troops...like... four too many.

Yeah, already been over that...

Not sure how to get around this hill here. Hmmmm... I want two DC Stormravens with Dreads, but I also want a handful of fast vehicles too... And a lot of the units I'm looking at to replace the Assault squads can't take dedicated transports, which is sad for me as I just ordered 3 Razerbacks... Also, if I combat squad up, that still leaves me with the transports issue for the second half of the squad. Bwaaaaaaa! Suggestions?

Shoot, if you're asking the internet than I assume that you've already gone to the ATM and are on your way out to the store by now.

I lol'd at this. Sadly, within an hour of posting I had made up my mind and bought the darn things off Amazon. Not even so much because I want to play Hard Boyz, but more that I just want to build the blasted things! Argh! I've got too much free time and a broken leg bogging me down, whats a man to do!?

Now I honestly will need to buy some more battlefoam. Blast.

Schnitzel
04-21-2010, 03:13 PM
So what is the point of this thread if you ALREADY spent the money? You know you are going to play in the 'Ard Boyz.

Because I wanted an opinion before I committed to it. I was really hoping for more "buy it" responses as it would have prompted me not to... But after two responses I said 'ell with it.
My pockets are made of combustible material. :(

BuFFo
04-21-2010, 05:20 PM
Pppfftttt :p :p

Two responses?!?!

LOL... Don't tell me you have a GF, because I feel sorry for you if you do.... :D

RocketRollRebel
04-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Even tho you already did it I say do it! I had the dilemma recently as to buy a Basilisk or not. I already have one of the old ones in tact but I wanted to try and bring them back and use 2 in a list. So I just dropped the cash. Was it the best idea? No, especially considering that the tournament I was planing on using it in looks like a flop that isnt happening... but its always nice to have more crap around for your army :)

P.S. GW are d-bags for making Apocalypse. Now when ever you find your self questioning a purchase you always say "meh I could use them in Apocalypse"! Brutal

Schnitzel
04-21-2010, 07:42 PM
Pppfftttt :p :p

Two responses?!?!

LOL... Don't tell me you have a GF, because I feel sorry for you if you do.... :D

Thankfully, no... kinda. Its complicated. Military life kinda made that difficult. And considering I don't care for American girls, not gonna have one for awhile... Can't wait to move back to Austria. Granted when that happens, 40k is put back on the back burner again. :P

Schnitzel
04-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I believe I've fixed my list. Check it, critique it, do the things you do. ;)
If I made any errors in math or FOC, please let me know. The math should be sound as I did it on a spreadsheet.

Total: 2498pts

HQ: 430pts
220pts Astorath the Grim
210pts Honor Guard with Chapter Banner, Melta and Razerback dedicated transport

Elites: 298pts
180pts Sanguinary Priests (x3) with Combi-Flamers (x3)
118pts Chaplain with Power Fist and Storm Bolter

Troops: 990pts
215pts Death Co (x8) with Power Weapon, Power Fist and Inferno Pistol
215pts Death Co (x8) with Power Weapon, Power Fist and Inferno Pistol
135pts Death Co Dread with Blood Talons and Heavy Flamer
135pts Death Co Dread with Blood Talons and Heavy Flamer
145pts Assault Squad with Melta, Lightning Claw and Razerback dedicated transport
145pts Assault Squad with Melta, Lightning Claw and Razerback dedicated transport

Fast Attack: 200pts
200pts Vanguard Vets with Lightning Claw (Sgt), Lightning Claw, Inferno Pistol and Razerback dedicated transport

Heavy: 430pts
215pts Stormraven with Extra Armor
215pts Stormraven with Extra Armor

Bare in mind, I'm not playing for the prizes or in hope of winning, I'm playing for the fun of the game. Some of y'all may hate me for it, some one might even praise me. Call me a try-hard or whatever you want. Regardless, this is something I enjoy.

BuFFo
04-22-2010, 12:04 AM
I like the list. Very fluffy and fun looking!

Kudos on such a cool list!

BrotherMoses
04-22-2010, 12:46 AM
You'll have the fluffiest list at 'ardboyz :D

I've got one ready, but its going to cost me about $121.50 to buy all of the stuff I need not including some thunder hammers and meltaguns. Then another 13 dollars for blood talons for my DC dreadnought. Playing against new people is part of the fun of this game. Playing the same few over and over just gets boring.

For me, this will be one of my few times expanding my horizons with the hobby. I hope it is a good experience.