PDA

View Full Version : Inquisitors/shooting at deep strikers

VulkansApprentice
04-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Ok, I know this has been a tactic for a while, but I didn't expect to encounter (nor did I ) any drop pod lists at 'Ard Boyz last year. This year, however, between Blood Angels and other Pod lists, I'm considering using an inquisitor/mystics for pot shots at deep-strikers, as I expect to see them.

The only real question I have about it is with Drop Pods; the drop pod deep strikes, and the unit was just passengers. Does the unit count as having come in via deep strike? Can you shoot at the unit, or just the pod? May sound kind of stupid since the pod came in via deep-strike, hence the unit did too, but I'm not sure how the rules lawyering works out via the wording. I just don't want to take an Inquisitor instead of an extra tac squad and then not be able to shoot at the units, only the pods.

addamsfamily36
04-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Im not sure on the answer to this question, but you bring up an interesting point.

What makes this question mroe interesting is the on going debate going on else where regarding Decent of angels and drop pods etc.

In that debate the Decent of angels doesnt transfer to the drop pod because its a seperate unit thats drop podding not the unit inside. based on this you could take it that the unit deep striking is the drop pod, and the unit inside is just along for the ride---i think under drop pods in the Rule Book there is a similar entry but i dont have one to hand to check.

Hope that gives you some help/ideas as to where to look

Gotthammer
04-20-2010, 11:28 AM
It's clarified in the DH FAQ (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1180153_Daemonhunters_FAQ_2004-08_5th_Edition.pdf) - you can choose to shoot at the pod or the unit as it disembarks (or one combat squad if they split).

Q. Do Inquisitorial Mystics allow “free shots” at
units arriving by Drop Pod?
A. Yes. The shooting is resolved after the Drop
Pod lands and the passengers have disembarked.
Either the Drop Pod or the disembarked unit may
be the targeted, but not both.

Eusebius Rex
04-20-2010, 11:41 AM
It's clarified in the DH FAQ (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1180153_Daemonhunters_FAQ_2004-08_5th_Edition.pdf) - you can choose to shoot at the pod or the unit as it disembarks (or one combat squad if they split).

Wow, that sounds contrary to the DH codex itself:

Pg15 of Daemonhunters under the Mystic states, "these shots are taken before the enemy unit moves." Drop Pods are defined as a vehicle on P.96 C:SM under the immobile rule. P67 of the MiniRB (under Dismebarking) implies that disembarking is movement - and says a unit "begins its Movement phase aboard a vehicle" and it can disembark before or after the vehicle moved.

Drop Pods Deep Striking are considered to have moved upon landing, and the models must disembark (a movement) after this movement, so wouldn't enemy units tagged by a mystic squad to fire at Deep strking units only be able to fire at the Pod? Pre-movement, the pod is the only unit eligible since the squad or whatever passengers can't be targetted inside thier transport...

I guess the DH FAQ kinda' ends the discussion though...

VulkansApprentice
04-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Thanks Gott, I had read the pre-5th version of the FAQ before there were drop pods. I pulled up the current FAQ and you're absolutely right. Guess that settles it.