PDA

View Full Version : Hypocrites and Low Skill players claiming to be Fluffy Players and ruining my LGC

Zoa
04-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Recently a large Anti-Competitive sentiment has taken over my LGC and its really pathetic. People who have always been playing to win and who just aren't any good or are have a hard time adapting to changes in the game are starting to cry cheese constantly against competitive players claiming that they just want to have friendly games while simultaneously producing and enforcing house rules that favor their own armies and claiming they don't (like draws don't count and those games resolve at victory points, ork and IG players wrote that house rule).

The problem with that is that its all bull****. The worst offender of this behavior (and also camp leader of these individuals) still optimizes heavily but refuses to accept that he does claiming a) because his units just have 'solid stats' and not special rules they aren't and b) because he has played Speed Freaks since the supplement they appeared in that his heavily optimized mechanized Ork Horde is fluffy. Hes also constantly churning out new vehicle rules.

This is one of the largest problems in my local metagame. The camp of hypocrites have verbally confirmed that they blatantly don't like units and armies that are effective because of special rules. They prefer brute force stats and dice rolling to the point some can be quoted as saying they think it should be the only style of army in the game. Some of them even think that the current Vanilla Marine and IG codices have to many special rules in them.

Similarly they claim special rules ruin 'the spirit of the game'. You see anytime a special rule takes an element of randomness out of the game and makes an opponents tactics more reliable they hate it and the only reason apparent while playing is they arn't good enough players to counter any kind of combined arms strategy that the dice have not **** on first.

These people, again especially the camp leader, are notorious for wanting to create and use their own mechanics their own armies favor to 'make the game better' without caring how it interacts with other armies. These same people also are notorious for having the worst house ruled d20 campaigns as they just do not grasp game theory. Similarly I know (because I've talked to them about it) they arn't able to grasp many of the concepts surrounding internal vs. external balance, especially the idea of a unit's role and value in its army being divorced from its literal stats.

So basically due to their numbers the people with the overall worst grasp of game mechanics are the ones dictating how things are going at my LGC, I'm really tempted to just sell my armies at this point because its not worth my time to go there just to listen to them gripe that the games evolving and have them force their ****ty house rules on me.

Lord Azaghul
04-20-2010, 09:04 AM
Well that leaves you with a few options:

Find new people to game with.

Buy a 6x4 piece of ply-wood and invite the players you like to come over for a game and a drink.

Find a new store.

Continue to game with these guys, but encourage them to drop the house rules - arguing that the current rules set is: standard.

Sell you armies and walk away.

Play at out of town tournies only.

Polonius
04-20-2010, 09:06 AM
I wouldn't sell your army, at least not anything painted. Never sell painted stuff, because you can't get back the time you put into it.

Have a chat with the store owner, and see if you can get him to intercede. There's a big difference between "house rules" and unfair bullying, and it sounds like your group is going the other way. They'll end up driving people away from the store, because in the end their goal isn't anything game related, it's a social/clique thing.

That said, this stuff always blows over. People like that turn on one group, then another, then another until there's nobody left to blame for their problems. I'd game with people that aren't in the group, and ignore them until they implode.

Zoa
04-20-2010, 09:10 AM
The club doesn't meet at a store, the club usually meet at the camp leader's house as its really the only option... That's the part of the problem that makes me so included to just quit 40k.

Polonius
04-20-2010, 09:13 AM
Well, I'd certainly quit the club. I'm sure you've guessed this, but part of their "rules" are clearly intended to get rid of you. Maybe not just you, but they either actively want you out or don't care the slightest if you quit.

Find some other players, or wait out the inevitable implosion of the club, and rejoin what's left.

And like I said, when you sell off, don't sell anything painted you put time into. You'll never get it back, and in six months or a year you'll want to play again, and having that box under your bed makes it possible.

eagleboy7259
04-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Sounds like they're stuck back in 4th edition in the land of Jervis-hammer. Idk, seek out a new club if there are any in the area other than that it sounds like a rough situation. Hope it works out.

Atrocity
04-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Like everyone else has said, go elsewhere. Talk to a game store owner who carries models, propose a gaming night. You can always "donate" some felt covered 6'x4' sheets of plywood.

If you have to drive to far for that to be a viable option, I'd suggest looking at dakkadakka under the find a game forum. There's a post there that has people listed in a TON of places (search both the OP's post and do a ctrl+F and search each page for your state or area as it hasn't been updated in forever.)

Or post a looking for members to start up a 40k club/group/whatever in your FLGS. If the store sells warhammer models you could make a flier if they're cool with the idea of a gaming night, or ask the employee(s) to mention something to anyone who looks at or buys the models.

Point is there are options, you just need to open your eyes and if nothing is available make something happen.

Sparda
04-20-2010, 12:25 PM
I think you should do what Atrocity said, or if you have a place in your house that's big enough you could host your own game nights or try to convince one of your friends to, having to rely on other people like that and having them being morons like that really sucks, that's why when I move I'm making sure the basement is massive then I'm going to fix it all up and host games there.

Bean
04-20-2010, 12:46 PM
If you haven't tried it, yet, you might just continue showing up to your club for a few weeks and simply refusing to play games with any rules other than the rules in the book. Just say, "sure, I'll play, but no house rules--just the rules in the book. I like them better."

If you really get no games when firmly refusing to use house rules, then you should definitely find a new group.

Trying to round up your own group and playing at your house is a good option. Looking for another store might be an option, too, depending on whether there is one around. Anyway, it's a shame you've found yourself in this situation.

Fellend
04-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Seeing how I am a manipulative jerk that absolutely loves to take down bullies my suggestion is this:

Nod and smile, find out who is on your side
Compliment the leader, gain his trust, but do not support him
Make sure you appear not to be a threat but still do not support his views, just nod and smile
Repeat this to his allies, making sure that they really want your compliments (we are all so easily fooled)
Always make sure to compliment them, when they pick up the rulebook and check something or decided to play by the rulebook instead of houserules.
Slowly stop smiling at the leader and complimenting him and instead doing it more towards the others
By now people will have started to adjust to your rules. If you feel secure, you might want to slowly hint that true skills lies in playing by the rulebook and "some" people just hide this with their insecurities,
Support and compliment anyone taking your side but always make sure that it seems that it's their own idea and not yours
Support the new leader that seems to be emerging
Make yourself indespensible to him
Ta da, you are now in control of your group and people think that all your ideas are their own.
And you've done nothing but nod, smile and hand out compliments.
This will work in almost any situation, because humans are fools and we crave attention

BuFFo
04-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Just play elsewhere if you can help it.

Start your own club.

Gnoblar with Pointy Stick
04-20-2010, 02:51 PM
Just play elsewhere if you can help it.

Start your own club.

This.

Lykum
04-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Seeing how I am a manipulative jerk that absolutely loves to take down bullies my suggestion is this:

Nod and smile, find out who is on your side
Compliment the leader, gain his trust, but do not support him
Make sure you appear not to be a threat but still do not support his views, just nod and smile
Repeat this to his allies, making sure that they really want your compliments (we are all so easily fooled)
Always make sure to compliment them, when they pick up the rulebook and check something or decided to play by the rulebook instead of houserules.
Slowly stop smiling at the leader and complimenting him and instead doing it more towards the others
By now people will have started to adjust to your rules. If you feel secure, you might want to slowly hint that true skills lies in playing by the rulebook and "some" people just hide this with their insecurities,
Support and compliment anyone taking your side but always make sure that it seems that it's their own idea and not yours
Support the new leader that seems to be emerging
Make yourself indespensible to him
Ta da, you are now in control of your group and people think that all your ideas are their own.
And you've done nothing but nod, smile and hand out compliments.
This will work in almost any situation, because humans are fools and we crave attention

Machiavelli would be proud.

Seriously though, Home Depot or Lowe's will cut you a board. Buy a gallon of mismatched gray paint for $5 and some texture. You'll have an urban game board for about $40 and 30min of work. If you wanna get fancy you can use a sharpie to draw lines and drybrush black around them.

If you really wanna go nuts, invite the people you like to a game night and get 5 pizzas for $5. You'd never realize that buying friends is so cheap. Much less work than manipulation.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
04-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Just accusing him of the truths of bullying, cheating, and playing non-fluff by using his own crappy house rules.
Dont suck upto that guy, dont demean yourself by sticking to what you believe, if you know its wrong, then just go over to the guys house when everyones there and tell everyone what you think, how its unfair, and then tell him to stick it.
Make yur own table as suggested, i did.