PDA

View Full Version : Q about psychic powers and cover saves

Fanbouy
04-20-2010, 08:00 AM
For a power like fear of the darknes (BA power) or the nids spirit leech where they make you take leadership test; my question is can the affected unit take a cover save?:confused:

Also as a PS i am correct in saying these powers cant affect units in a vehicle?

Thanks in advance for any responses.:D

DarkLink
04-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Have you ever been able to take cover saves against leadership tests?

Tynskel
04-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Psychic Shooting Attacks that cause wounds can take cover saves when applicable. Shooing attacks cannot target units within a vehicle- need Line of Sight (LOS)-- see shooting section of Rulebook.

Fear of Darkness is a shooting attack that causes LD test--- no cover save, because no one gets shot. But you cannot target a unit in a vehicle-- need LOS.

Spirit Leech is NOT a Psychic Power. This is an ability aura. p.66 Rulebook embarked units is how Spirit Leech is resolved. Since the attack is not shooting, there are no cover saves-- cover saves only come from shooting (see shooting section of Rulebook).

Dantethegolden
04-20-2010, 01:43 PM
What about Blood Lance? if it whacks a few vehicles that are in a row, do the vehicles that are farther down the line (i.e.-every one except the first vehicle hit) get a cover save, since they're behind the first vehicle? the way the power is described, it sounds like the lance just tears onwards, with everything that's touched suffering the Str 8 AP 1 hit. it makes no mention of cover saves allowed or disallowed, however.

Nabterayl
04-20-2010, 01:56 PM
I don't have the BA dex in front of me but I assume it would work like this:

Draw line, determine which unit(s) are hit.
Determine which vehicles in the hit unit(s) are Obscured.
Determine which unit(s) receive a cover save, depending on how many vehicles in each unit are Obscured.
Resolve attacks simultaneously.

Tynskel
04-20-2010, 03:59 PM
I don't have the BA dex in front of me but I assume it would work like this:

Draw line, determine which unit(s) are hit.
Determine which vehicles in the hit unit(s) are Obscured.
Determine which unit(s) receive a cover save, depending on how many vehicles in each unit are Obscured.
Resolve attacks simultaneously.

Blood Lance is a shooting attack, and all the rules apply-- Nabterayl is correct.

DarkLink
04-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Psychic Shooting Attacks that cause wounds can take cover saves when applicable. Shooing attacks cannot target units within a vehicle- need Line of Sight (LOS)-- see shooting section of Rulebook.

Fear of Darkness is a shooting attack that causes LD test--- no cover save, because no one gets shot. But you cannot target a unit in a vehicle-- need LOS.

Spirit Leech is NOT a Psychic Power. This is an ability aura. p.66 Rulebook embarked units is how Spirit Leech is resolved. Since the attack is not shooting, there are no cover saves-- cover saves only come from shooting (see shooting section of Rulebook).

Woah, I though we'd gotten past the three dozen threads arguing endlessly over Spirit Leech. What's it got to do with Fear of the Darkness:p?

Though Tynskel is right, it isn't a psychic power. There is some confusion and argument over how it affects embarked units, but we don't need to bring that up again. I'm not joking about the endless argument and multiple thread on the exact same subject thing.

Tynskel
04-20-2010, 06:56 PM
Woah, I though we'd gotten past the three dozen threads arguing endlessly over Spirit Leech. What's it got to do with Fear of the Darkness:p?

Though Tynskel is right, it isn't a psychic power. There is some confusion and argument over how it affects embarked units, but we don't need to bring that up again. I'm not joking about the endless argument and multiple thread on the exact same subject thing.

Read the whole thread, he asked about Fear of Darkness AND Spirit leech.

Confusion and argument do not replace reason and logic. Spirit leech says it is an aura, and following the aura rules on p. 66 says what to do, then following the cover save rules on p. 20-21.

Nabterayl
04-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Yeah, nobody brought up embarked units. The question was cover saves, and Tynskel's totally right about that - you can only take cover saves against actions by a firer that cause wounds.

Tynskel
04-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Yeah, nobody brought up embarked units. The question was cover saves, and Tynskel's totally right about that - you can only take cover saves against actions by a firer that cause wounds.

I got carried away with Psychic shooting attack examples--- so many people confuse spirit leech with psychic shooting, I wanted to 'head off the pass' so to speak, and brought up shooting vs vehicles too.

Where as, a Psychic shooting attack cannot target units embarked in vehicles, but auras can, sorta business.