PDA

View Full Version : Ogres, Ogres everywhere...

Grabnutz
08-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Hi All,

I turn fifty in two weeks so I decided to treat myself to a new Warhammer Army. So off to Wayland Games (online) and I got the Ogre Battalion Box and an Ogre Tyrant.

I've never even see Ogres in action before, though I have been warhammering since Gary Chalk and Rick Priestley demonstrated the game at the Westminster Hall sometime before the Norman Invasion...;)

Any advice for a new servant of the Great Maw?

Cheers,
Grabnutz, the worst general in warhammer history.

npullan
08-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Buy as many leadership enhancing things as possible.

Ogres are a tough army because the loss of a single model is usually enough to force a panic check. AND on top of that the Ld is pretty low. Anything you can do to boost that will help. So re-rolls and Ld boosts are a must.

After that, the army can be pretty fun. Not super tournament competitive but judging by your sig, that doesn't look to be SUPER important.

Have fun, Ogres are a blast to paint.

Grabnutz
08-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Cheers NP,

You are right, I've never been a fan of tournaments as they often attract the sort of gamer who I'm likely to leave stuck in a bin or face-down in a toilet bowl. I play for the fun and for the story. Similarly I create armies that reflect the fluff, not the tactical doctrines required for successful tournament play.

However, I do like to give my opponents a good fight before I start blaming my dice and arranging my glorious last stand. Thus your advice is welcome, thanks.

Yes, I am looking forward to painting them. With so few figures I can get all meticulous on them and add lots of humour. I've already written up four full paint schemes and now I have to choose one. I'm stuck between Conan the Barbarian, Frosty, Cimmerian Barbarian Ogres or Whoops! we strayed a bit too far north and now we're all mutated and chaotic Ogres.

Both armies will need copious amounts of green stuff, carved in details and late nights. I'm a workmanlike level at painting but I enjoy it anyway.

One conversion I intend to do, whatever scheme I choose, is to modify and paint an ogre up as Obelix and have a Gnoblar as Asterix... hey there's a whole new scheme - Valiant Gaulish Village Ogres!

I'm also looking at the remnants of my Battle for Skull Pass box and wondering if all those useless night goblins just need some big noses and pointy ears...:D

Cheers,
Grabnutz, the worst general in warhammer history.

Thompo
08-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Gd to here there are some other fluff players out there :D

In additon to Ld i would also stock up on some magic defense, as magic can and will cause your ogres to drop like flies hence casuing panic tests.

I myself am a VC player and against Ogres my Lord always uses the lore of shadow for 4 reasons. Firstly because Pit of Shades is a butcher sniping machine (I once killed 2 in two consectutive turns). Secondly, Steed of Shadows allows me to sling shot Konrad into your generals unit and cause stupid amounts of wounds. Thirdly Unseen Lurker gets me close to you so no bull charge (which you NEED is you want any hope of winning combat). And Finally the fear to terror spell (can't remeber its name) may cause you to fail your charge.

That of course is just personal experience. But most of the other Lores in the game have similar spells or damage spell which cause you to lose one or two bulls, which u cannot afford to do.

Hell heart and 2 scrolls on two butchers, and greedy fist on your general is how i would go, but i don't play ogres so...

Hope that is some use to you.

Randroid
08-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Ogres!!

I am one of the only (if not the only) Ogre players in the Austin area ... it can be a drag but I often have fun with my fatties.

Two links for you!

1. My blog where I recently did a quick and dirty "Basics for Beginners" on the Ogre Kingdoms choices.
http://drinkinandmodelin.blogspot.com/search/label/beginners

2. The Ogre Stronghold (http://www.ogrestronghold.com/forum/index.php) - awesome WHFB forum but with a focus on OGRES.

Grabnutz
08-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Thanks Thompo... note to self set Yhetees on Vampire spellcasters :D

Grabnutz
08-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Cheers Randroid.

I've been to the Ogre Stronghold but I had not heard of the other one.