PDA

View Full Version : Is there a 40k hobbyist who has never built an Astartes?

Mr Mystery
03-05-2016, 04:58 PM
Just a random one as I build my Calth set (had it for months, but hey!)

It's been yonks since I built an Astartes of any stripe - indeed I think the last time was probably Space Hulk.

Yet over the years I've built hundreds. Bro and I have an extensive Dark Angels collection from 2nd Edition, with one complete Tactical Company, plus support. And there's been various other projects and starter sets the way, including all those I helped people build up their kits during my various times at GW.

But as the title suggests....is there anyone who hasn't built even a single Astartes?

Asymmetrical Xeno
03-05-2016, 05:35 PM
Nope, even this obsessed non-humanoid hard sf alien fanatic nutcase has built space marines, many of them even. I love marines.

Jewelfox
03-05-2016, 05:49 PM
I've been playing for about a year now, and haven't assembled a single Astartes.

It helps that I play Tau.

YorkNecromancer
03-05-2016, 05:50 PM
Marines have always been my favourite and probably always will be.

The fact that other people fall out of love with them, then sell them cheap on eBay is one of the best things about being an Astartes fan.

You never have to pay more than about twenty quid for a massive bloody army.

Jewelfox
03-05-2016, 06:23 PM
Marines have always been my favourite and probably always will be.

The fact that other people fall out of love with them, then sell them cheap on eBay is one of the best things about being an Astartes fan.

You never have to pay more than about twenty quid for a massive bloody army.

I know, right? That and they practically sell them in bulk in the starter sets, like Dark Vengeance.

I was actually looking forward to the long-rumoured "Tau vs. Raven Guard" set, until it turned out they were selling each half separately. Too bad; Shadow Captain Solaq would've made a great comic villain, if only because the "moustache" on the front of his helmet gives him a strong resemblance to Doctor Robotnik.

EDIT: why am i a battle "brother" now wtf is this

Arkhan Land
03-06-2016, 01:21 AM
I frequently play with someone who prettymuch absolutely always has bought only painted minis so yeah , as crazy as this sounds im almost certain hes never built any model from scratch ever

but then again I guess hes not a hobbyist is he? hes painted just a few things

Morgrim
03-06-2016, 08:12 AM
Somehow I've never built a marine. I HAVE bits of marines, there is probably enough in my bitz box to MAKE a complete marine (...possibly a chaos one, I think I've got an armless one legged one that got ripped off a poor conversion I repurposed) but I've never made one.

Marines don't really interest me a lot. Since I play Dark Eldar I've never bought one of the starter sets, and while I've played against them often enough that I've been tempted to make a few into objective markers or trophies I've never gotten around to it.

I've been playing for about 8 years, so that's rather remarkable.

Defenestratus
03-07-2016, 06:38 AM
I had been playing since about 1992 and I hadn't even *touched* an Astartes model until the 5th edition BA codex came out in I think 2008 or maybe 2010.

Psychosplodge
03-07-2016, 08:55 AM
EDIT: why am i a battle "brother" now wtf is this

Post count

SebastionSynn
03-11-2016, 08:43 AM
I've been playing 40k since the beginning of 4th edition, i have Eldar, DEldar, Necrons, Orks, Tyranids, and a smattering of Sisters, but the closest I've ever come to building an Astartes is the upper torso of one that was promptly converted to have guts hanging out of him, an exposed rib cage, exposed bone and muscle of one arm, and is being held aloft by his head in the hands of my Avatar of Khaine, as a grim trophy. So, no, i have never built a complete space marine, and i seriously doubt i ever will, as i hate space marines with a passion.

ProjectThanatos
03-11-2016, 09:36 AM
Have never built or painted an Astartes. Have eaten plenty though. Tyranid player here. I find the Xenos races in 40k far more interesting than any of the Marines.

LordGrise
03-11-2016, 10:36 PM
Started playing soon after they introduced the Tau; I have never built a SM of any sort. I have the Spearhead box from back in the day - it's opened, but I have never built anything out of it because I couldn't come up with a good reason for a bunch of SMs to be fighting alongside the Tau. I even tried to find some common ground with SM players - on what was likely the absolutely most hostile board out there, Bolter and Chainsword. Yeah, I'll never try to do that again. So after that, I simply put them up and never did anything with them. Then Editions changed and there was no longer any reason at all to open the box. ::shrug:: I use my Tau in various ways, these days, particularly Champions and Shadowrun. The SMs? Meh.