PDA

View Full Version : Won't Pickup Again.

david5th
04-18-2010, 08:07 AM
I had a recent clear out of all my Black Library books and came across two that despite buying have only been read once. The first was an old novel called ' Eye of Terror '. It was about rogue traders and also had a Dark Angel who had been in suspened animation from the HH. I only brought at the time because i needed something to read on holiday.

The second might come as a shock and will probably result in lots of negative posts.
It was ' Emperors Mercy ' . I read it once and have had no compunction to read it again despite all the great reviews. I just was'nt as interested in it as Eisenhorn or Ravenor.

Has anyone else brought a book and only ever read it once for whatever reason and just left it there to gather dust before taking to a charity shop, bining it etc.

fade_74
04-18-2010, 09:07 AM
To tell the truth....I very rarely read anything twice. There is just to much new stuff and I have so little time lol.
I don't get rid of books though. I have tons. I have an entire closet full of shelves that are packed 4 rows deep. I have every DnD book from 3rd edition....every one from every setting. I have a Huge 1st and second ed collection. Hundreds of novels from every genre. (excluding romance lol) I just don't have the heart to get rid of a book. Even really crappy ones. I picked up a couple X-files books in the airport one time....terrible. But they got me through a 24 hour flight. So there they sit on my shelf.

lordbubonicus
04-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Wow, "Eye of Terror". I haven't seen that in a while. I think I still have my copy, which I won at the local GW a looooong time ago, somewhere in the house. From what I remember it was a decent enough book, with some good characterisation and reasonable story, but that was lacking that indefinable something that makes a great book.

As for reading stuff twice, I'm with fade_74 on this. I have so many books at home, some of which I haven't even read for the first time because they're later novels in series that I only started and got bored or forgot about, or stuff that I've always wanted to read, picked up cheap, and am still trying to get through the 'to read' pile to get to! I also hate throwing books away; I tried to last summer when I was doing a big clear out, but in the end I couldn't bring myself to do it and they just went in the loft.

There are some books that I've read more than once though. They tend to be books that I read when I was younger, and have done back to to see what they're like when read from a more mature perspective. It's an interesting experiment, but one that I only tend to conduct with books that I really liked as a teenager, or with stuff that's really quick to read.

Melissia
04-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Not a BL book (mostly because I don't read Marinewank, which tends to be written by crappy authors to begin with), but one in particular called Angelica... I have no damn clue what caused me to pick this religious raomantic sappy sack of crap up, but I did. And my brain still hurts thinking about it... keep in mind that I'm in love with the religious crusader nature of the Sisters of Battle, and that when I roleplay it's almost always a good natured hero character whom is trying to make the world a better place.

DarkLink
04-18-2010, 12:21 PM
There are tons of fairly good books I've only read once. See, if I have a choice between getting a new book and rereading an old one, I'll get a new one. You should see my bookshelf:rolleyes:.

On the other hand, there are some other books that will never get old no matter how many times I read them.

Shagrath
04-18-2010, 03:29 PM
I somehow accumulated goto...Need I say more really.

Eisenhorn really can't be topped in my mind.

wittdooley
04-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Not a BL book (mostly because I don't read Marinewank, which tends to be written by crappy authors to begin with)

Sadly, this means you haven't read any of the new, pretty damn good, stuff.

Melissia
04-18-2010, 05:50 PM
I've read the stuff I'm interested in, which equates to Guard, Sisters, and Orks. I don't think it is possible for me to somehow care less about the Horus Heresy.

RocketRollRebel
04-18-2010, 05:56 PM
To tell the truth....I very rarely read anything twice. There is just to much new stuff and I have so little time lol.
I don't get rid of books though. I have tons. I have an entire closet full of shelves that are packed 4 rows deep...

Same boat sir. I gotta catch up on the HH series. I haven't read A Thousand Sons yet and I'd been waiting a long time for it to come out!

RogueGarou
04-18-2010, 06:12 PM
I read voraciously. It has been a desire of mine to write since I was a teenager so I try to sample all kinds of styles and genres. I often read books multiple times, even bad books. Some that I just did not enjoy were the Black Fleet Crisis and The Crystal Star of Star Wars books. Way back when there was very little of anthing Star Wars out there, my childhood love of the Star Wars universe, and some good initial books like the Thrawn trilogy, had me buying every book that came out. When the New Jedi Order came out, though, I stopped and have not bought anything since. Thanks to Wikipedia, it looks like I would not have enjoyed most of what has come out.

In the 40k universe, I had read some of the older stuff that was atrocious and am somewhat leery of buying most of the 40k books. Dan Abnett was the saving grace of the lot, though. I was always a fan of the Last Chancers and bought those books based on my enjoyment of the little blurb in the 2E IG Codex and envisioning them as the Dirty Dozen. Sadly, I hated the novels but have read each one twice, once when first released and again when the third one was released. The style and story is largely unappealing to me and almost made me decide to never again pick up any 40k prose. However, the Gaunt's Ghosts books had gotten so much buzz that one day I picked up the first three when I needed something to read and I really enjoyed them. From there I have bought quite a few others. I liked the first two Uriel Ventris books but not the third. The Deathwatch novels were drivel and I just did not care for most of the Grey Knights books. Most of the Horus Heresy novels have been good reads but I did not care for Descent of Angels or Battle for the Abyss. Like the Last Chancers books, they had good bits, particularly cool scenes or ideas interspersed with things that just bored or did not interest me.

A couple of books that I have read many, MANY times are a pair of multiple author books from Larry Niven, Steven Barnes, and Jerry Pournelle. The Legacy of Heorot came out while I was in 7th grade and I have enjoyed the book for well over 20 years. I have worn out softcover copies and recently found an old hardcover copy at a used book store. There was a sequel written about 9 years later that I did not enjoy as much called Beowulf's Children. It was nice to step back into that setting and see the characters 20 years later but it was a pretty different story. I found them both to be quite entertaining and still read them every so often. There are classics which are worth re-reading, too, Beowulf and The Once and Future King spring to mind.

Unfortunately, most of my last year has seen my reading time devoted to studying text books for the MCSE I completed last year and now preparing for my SQL DBA exams and MCITP upgrade this year. I am taking some time to read A Thousand Sons at the moment and have enjoyed the first 200 pages quite a bit.

RogueGarou
04-18-2010, 06:25 PM
Now that I have thought about it, there are two books I would like to read again but I do not know what they are. One I read in 5th or 6th grade was checked out of the school library about a girl who is killed in a car crash. Her ghost follows her family and friends around for awhile, sees a couple of the people who also died in the car wreck with her move on, and then she meets a young man whose ghost is also wandering about. She eventually finds out that he died in the car that struck hers and that it was her fault that the crash happened so she was responsible for the deaths of several of her friends and the young man. When she realizes this and tells the boy, there a flash of light and she wakes up behind the wheel of her car just in time to avoid the wreck and later that night meets the young man from her dream, or afterlife experience. As I recall the book leaves the decision as to what happened up to the reader. Probably not a good book but it has stuck in my mind for years.

The other book I had gotten from the public library and was about a sniper in Vietnam who gradually becomes unhinged over the course of his tour or tours in country. He eventually begins to believe he can see the spirits of the dead and can see who is about to die by looking at them through his rifle scope. I think the title was Starlight and was named for the night vision scope the character used. By the end of the novel it had become quite surreal and for some reason, I recall a monkey having a conversation with the character and the monkey throwing hand grenades at NVA or VC troops as the firebase the sniper is stationed at is attacked. It was a strange read from what I recall but I have not found the book since I first read it back in 7th or 8th grade.

Does anyone happen to recall those two books by any chance?

murrburger
04-18-2010, 06:32 PM
I hate to say it, but I hate anything Guard related written by Dan Abnett. (His books like Legion are fine, mind you.)

The Blood Angels books were terrible (Although that's why I enjoy them. They're so bad they're good)

Ultramarines books just give me a hearty 'meh'. Although I like Graham McNiel, I'm no huge fan of the Ultramarines chapter.

Soul Drinkers books were okay for a while, but I'm quickly starting to dislike them.

Grey Knights, I don't really have any interest in reading about badass space marines, just like I don't want to read about badass guard (Abnett).

Probably the Cain books (Finally, an author that 'gets' it. I was very impressed by an Abdul Goldberg quote in one of the Cain books) and the HH books (Just because it brings new 'fluff' to light. I know some may argue how legit they are.) are the only series I actually like.

There are lots of good short stories out there, as well as the Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer (A must read for any player. I loved the jokes about 1st/2nd edition)

Commissar Lewis
04-18-2010, 07:15 PM
I think a friend loaned me a Gato DoW book once and I stopped after 30 pages because my brain started trying to dismantle itself.

But non-GW books I'll never read again, the #1 one is this book I had to read in 8th grade. Called Izzy, Willy-Nilly and it WAS THE WORST THING I'VE EVER READ. It was like 180 pages of this cheerleader who lost a leg in a car accident moping around and feeling sorry for herself. I've never seen more self-pity in one place.

eldargal
04-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Anything by Goto. I read Warrior Coven and it was one long continuous fluff rape. Slaanesh worshiping Dark Eldar (NO! There are Chaos Eldar, and they are NOT Dark Eldar!) and a Lelith Hesperax who has gone from fighting naked in arenas against a dozen opponents without getting a scratch to a hamfisted ho who nearly gets killed by a random Exarch. Amongst other things I don't even remember, trying as I am to suppress all memories of the book.
Then against m better judgement I bought one of his Dawn of War books. People said he was actually a good writer, that I should try some of his other stuff. No. He is a misogynist, Eldar-hating hack who should never be allowed 40k fluff again. I ended up burning the DoW book.
It isn't just the fluff either, the man can barely write a coherent story.

imperialsavant
04-18-2010, 07:43 PM
I've read the stuff I'm interested in, which equates to Guard, Sisters, and Orks. I don't think it is possible for me to somehow care less about the Horus Heresy.

;) Oh Melissa I know where you are coming from but most of the Horus Heresy Books are just Sooo Good!
Sure there are a couple of Dud ones like "Decent of Angels & I did not like "Battle for the Abyss" but the first 3 plus Legion, Fulgrum & Mechanicus are a "must Read" in my HO.

I often revisit all the Gaunts Ghost, Eisenhorn & Ravenor Books & just love all the Caiphus Cain novels plus the Shira Calpurnia ones.

Of recent reads, dont bother with Sons of Dorn but Rynns World was excellent!

wittdooley
04-18-2010, 07:44 PM

Yeah, I wasn't exclusively talking about the HH stuff. Soul Hunter was a damn fine read, as was Rynn's World.

I won't comment on the non-reading of the HH books; you're doing yourself a disservice by not reading them. Even the bad ones are near the top of the BL heap.

scadugenga
04-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Anything by Goto. I read Warrior Coven and it was one long continuous fluff rape. Slaanesh worshiping Dark Eldar (NO! There are Chaos Eldar, and they are NOT Dark Eldar!) and a Lelith Hesperax who has gone from fighting naked in arenas against a dozen opponents without getting a scratch to a hamfisted ho who nearly gets killed by a random Exarch. Amongst other things I don't even remember, trying as I am to suppress all memories of the book.
Then against m better judgement I bought one of his Dawn of War books. People said he was actually a good writer, that I should try some of his other stuff. No. He is a misogynist, Eldar-hating hack who should never be allowed 40k fluff again. I ended up burning the DoW book.
It isn't just the fluff either, the man can barely write a coherent story.

I finally ended up taking Eldar Prophecy to the range.

Made me feel a bit better, actually.

scadugenga
04-18-2010, 07:54 PM
;) Oh Melissa I know where you are coming from but most of the Horus Heresy Books are just Sooo Good!
Sure there are a couple of Dud ones like "Decent of Angels & I did not like "Battle for the Abyss" but the first 3 plus Legion, Fulgrum & Mechanicus are a "must Read" in my HO.

I often revisit all the Gaunts Ghost, Eisenhorn & Ravenor Books & just love all the Caiphus Cain novels plus the Shira Calpurnia ones.

Of recent reads, dont bother with Sons of Dorn but Rynns World was excellent!

Really? The Shira ones?

I had to force myself to read the first one, and eventually realized that "hey, if you are forcing yourself to read something--find something better to read!" So I read the new Jonathan Maberry book and felt instantly better.

murrburger
04-18-2010, 09:05 PM
I can't believe I forgot C.S. Multilaser.

As an Eldar player... many of his books have made me very, very sad.

He's easily the worst BL author out there.

DarkLink
04-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Now that I have thought about it, there are two books I would like to read again but I do not know what they are.

I remember the first real book I read was Mysterious Island by Jules Verne. 500 pages of civil war era sci-fi. I was, i don't know, maybe 5, 6? I loved it. I went from boxcar kids to Jules Verne, Jack London, and the like, practically overnight.

Anyways, lately I've had the urge to go back and reread Mysterious Island, just out of nostalgia.

Can't help you with your books, though. Don't recognize them.

Old_Paladin
04-19-2010, 06:37 AM
I love my Black Library collection; I've read almost every book at least 3 times.
Heck, I've read the Gaunts Ghosts series and the Gotrex & Felix series 7 or 8 times each.

I've never had any interest in the HH series though.

Lord Azaghul
04-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Sort of depends: anything Abnett rights it not only worth reading, but rereading, same for Lord of the Rings, the orginal: Dune series, Most of Timithy Zahn Starwars books, Enders Game, Harry Potter books, Chronicles of Narnia... Read and enjoyed all multiple times.

Things not worth rereading (or reading once):
Anthying written by Kevin J Anderson. I hate, hate, hate what that man did to the Dune universe, he doesn't understand a bloody thing about those characters.

Stephen King: His stuff is just too flat, and he kind of writes in circle. However some great movie adaptations have been made.

Most GW fantasy fluff. Its just not well writen or developed. The empire fluff is pretty cool though.

Sherlock Holmes: The orginal works, very dull. And really no way you can figure out the endings.

Read once: Terry Brooks. I read this guy alot in jr high and HS, but now, 10-15 years later, I've tried to reread them and they just weren't nearly has enthralling as when I was a teenager.

Melissia
04-19-2010, 09:55 AM
you're doing yourself a disservice by not reading them.

No I'm not. I'm truly and honestly just not interested in Space Marines at all, save for possibly Grey Knights, and even then nowhere near as much as Guard. Just the fact that a story focuses on Space Marines is more often than not enough to make me bored regardless of the quality of writing (or lack thereof). It's like trying to get a American Football fan to enjoy Soccer (which you chaps across the pond refer to as Football). Sure, I'm sure the athletes are quite capable, there might even be some epic action going on. But they're not really that interested in Soccer; they want to watch Football.

wittdooley
04-19-2010, 09:59 AM
No I'm not. I'm truly and honestly just not interested in Space Marines at all, save for possibly Grey Knights, and even then nowhere near as much as Guard. Just the fact that a story focuses on Space Marines is more often than not enough to make me bored regardless of the quality of writing (or lack thereof). It's like trying to get a American Football player to enjoy Soccer (which you chaps across the pond refer to as Football).

At the very least read Mechanicum. I don't quite recall, but there may not be a single Astartes in the entire book. I can't rightly remember. In addition, Legion spends most of the time focused on the Imperial Guard.

I'd wager, though it isn't out yet, that Nemesis will also have quite a bit to do with the Ecclisiarchy, being about the advent of the Assassins and all.

Fair enough that you have no interest reading about the Astartes; I do think you'd enjoy the books I listed, though, as long as you didn't dismiss them out of hand.

david5th
04-19-2010, 10:12 AM
It's like trying to get a American Football fan to enjoy Soccer (which you chaps across the pond refer to as Football).

Thats because we play it with our feet, except goalkeepers and throw in's but thats off topic. Bye bye.

DarkLink
04-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Sort of depends: anything Abnett rights it not only worth reading, but rereading, same for Lord of the Rings, the orginal: Dune series, Most of Timithy Zahn Starwars books, Enders Game, Harry Potter books, Chronicles of Narnia... Read and enjoyed all multiple times.

Things not worth rereading (or reading once):
Anthying written by Kevin J Anderson. I hate, hate, hate what that man did to the Dune universe, he doesn't understand a bloody thing about those characters.

Stephen King: His stuff is just too flat, and he kind of writes in circle. However some great movie adaptations have been made.

Most GW fantasy fluff. Its just not well writen or developed. The empire fluff is pretty cool though.

Sherlock Holmes: The orginal works, very dull. And really no way you can figure out the endings.

Read once: Terry Brooks. I read this guy alot in jr high and HS, but now, 10-15 years later, I've tried to reread them and they just weren't nearly has enthralling as when I was a teenager.

Kevin J Anderson has some good Star Wars books, though. Iirc, he wrote some of the X-wing series, which are quite a bit of fun.

Read Brandon Sanderson. Do it now. Go to your nearest bookstore and buy the Mistborn trilogy. They just released a combo pack of all three paperbacks. Elantris and Warbreaker are pretty good, too.

I like Terry Brooks, but his earlier books are a little, well, unoriginial. He gets better as he goes. Though I only ever got into his Shannara series.

Thats because we play it with our feet, except goalkeepers and throw in's but thats off topic. Bye bye.

Yeah, but where's the tackling and crude violence in soccer? Oh, wait, I guess soccer players do slide-tackle each other, then roll around on the ground in "agony" to get their opponet a red card:p

wittdooley
04-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Yeah, but where's the tackling and crude violence in soccer?

I was under the impression that took place in the stands?

fade_74
04-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Same boat sir. I gotta catch up on the HH series. I haven't read A Thousand Sons yet and I'd been waiting a long time for it to come out!

Dang dude....Thousand Sons was one of my favorites.....It made me hate the space wolves even more lol.
I probably won't read Prospero Burns though.....I sort of think it would equate to "Why I Mauled Your Little Brother" by the pitbull next door.

I did reread 20th century ghosts by Joe Hill a couple weeks ago. He has some great short stories. The Cape.....and Pop Art (about an inflatable jewish boy) really stand out. Lord Az mentioned Stephen King. I have reread alot of his stuff. His short stories can be a good break from heavier stuff. Might I suggest Lunch at the Gotham Cafe.....and L.T.'s Theory of Pets. Both of which cracked me up to no end.

Ray Bradbury is Great also. Martian chronicles. Dandelion wine. Something Wicked this way comes.

I will also be the first to admit that I read some poetry. Not alot. Sara teasdale....There will come soft rains (martian chronicles reminded me of it)......e.e *******s...etc LOL It wont let me say e.e.*******s E. E. C U M M I N G S

DarkLink
04-19-2010, 06:10 PM
I was under the impression that took place in the stands?

Excellent point. I withdraw my previous statement.

Commissar Lewis
04-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Ah, football and American football... Football (or soccer) is fun to watch, AF not so much.

I'm more of a hockey man, myself. A sport where you can actually punch other players. Used to be a lot more entertaining with the fights but it got rather brutal to the point where ****ing up the other teams' star players was a STRATEGY. Which wasn't cool. Only reason Yzerman lasted 20 years was he had Probert watching out for him. Sorry, I'm in a rambling mood tonight.

DarkLink
04-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Ah, football and American football... Football (or soccer) is fun to watch, AF not so much.

But to watch soccer is to watch a bunch of people run back and forth on a field for a long time. Occasionally they even manage to score. Not exactly exciting, unless you're actually playing. In football, though, you've got people getting tackled left and right, passes and complex plays all the time, and fairly routine "holy cr@p I can't believe he caught that."

I mean, not everyone likes watching sports. I know I don't go out of my way to do so. But unless I'm totally missing something, I don't see how soccer can be more exciting to watch than football.

And what's this even got to do with the Black Library, anyways;):rolleyes:?

wittdooley
04-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Watch Rugby. It mixes the best parts of both.

Sister Rosette Soulknyt
04-20-2010, 12:17 AM
I totally agre here, i dont read the books, just more marketing crap from GW to make people buy into the Space Marine fan base.

Look into how many books there are for SM's, IG compared to say Eldar, SoB, or even any of the other factions, ny necron books yet??

I tried to read one novel, it was over done, poorly writen and just like any of the others ive flicked through that concentrated on SM's. I dont read anything Space Marine now, bores the hell out of me, id rather spend hours painting other armies than read 'just another SM' novel.

Lord Azaghul
04-20-2010, 06:32 AM
Kevin J Anderson has some good Star Wars books, though. Iirc, he wrote some of the X-wing series, which are quite a bit of fun.

Read Brandon Sanderson. Do it now. Go to your nearest bookstore and buy the Mistborn trilogy. They just released a combo pack of all three paperbacks. Elantris and Warbreaker are pretty good, too.

I'm always looking for new stuff to read!

I did try One of Andersons starwar series, but it was shortly after the Dune incedent, so i was still fuming and couldn't put it behind me. ( I consider Frank Herberts orginal 6 books to be amoung the best Sci-fi ever written). I am a rather avid starwars fan as well, but dune is close to sacred to me!

Mistborn Trilogy huh... Let me head on down to my library (which is right across the street from my place of employment!)

chromedog
04-20-2010, 06:47 AM
At the very least read Mechanicum. I don't quite recall, but there may not be a single Astartes in the entire book. I can't rightly remember.

I'm with Melissia here.
I've no particular interest in the heresy. I've read Paradise Lost and the bible already. I don't need to read the same story with marines in it. I've tried to, but the stories just don't grab me. For this reason alone, I tend to leave BL alone. This may change with Gav Thorpe's Eldar trilogy.

Eisenhorn - that was different. Almost as good as Kim Newman's "Jack Yeovill' stuff.

Oh, and "Mechanicum" Does have marines in it (inasmuch as it has Rogal Dorn and Malcador having a chat on the two lost legions). Mostly though, it is Admech and DarkMech and Titans going stomp-stomp-kablooooie! on mars.

DarkLink
04-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Mistborn Trilogy huh... Let me head on down to my library (which is right across the street from my place of employment!)

Totally awesome series. Basically, a thousand years ago the hero went to face the big bad, and failed. Now, the Final Empire rules, where the noble houses are propped up on a massive slave-based economy.The main characters are a group of underground thieves who decide to overthrow the empire. Awesomeness ensues.

The magic system is great, as well. It feels like a science, despite being magic.

wittdooley
04-20-2010, 10:40 AM
For this reason alone, I tend to leave BL alone. This may change with Gav Thorpe's Eldar trilogy.

Hehe. Best of wishes with that. Gav Thorpe has never turned my screws.

Kahoolin
04-20-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm with Melissia here.
I've no particular interest in the heresy. I've read Paradise Lost and the bible already. I don't need to read the same story with marines in it. I've tried to, but the stories just don't grab me.Me too. I have no interest in that stuff at all. The thing I like about 40k is the feel that the Imperium is in decline, the Emperor is long dead and everyone is just going through the motions. Not interested at all in reading about some silly age of legends where the Emperor is alive and there's all these demigods walking around.

I've never read a BL book more than once. None of them are good enough. I buy BL books to kill time when I don't feel like thinking. They are disposable, which is not to say I don't enjoy them. I do enjoy them, sometimes very much. They just don't stand up to rereads for me. I like the Caiaphas Cain books the best, and they're just G.M. Fraser's Flashman only worse.

DarkLink
04-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Me too. I have no interest in that stuff at all. The thing I like about 40k is the feel that the Imperium is in decline, the Emperor is long dead and everyone is just going through the motions. Not interested at all in reading about some silly age of legends where the Emperor is alive and there's all these demigods walking around.

I've never read a BL book more than once. None of them are good enough. I buy BL books to kill time when I don't feel like thinking. They are disposable, which is not to say I don't enjoy them. I do enjoy them, sometimes very much. They just don't stand up to rereads for me. I like the Caiaphas Cain books the best, and they're just G.M. Fraser's Flashman only worse.

I've read a few BL books, but never really got into it. There are so many other, better books out there that I've spent my time reading instead, to be honest. Like aforementioned Mistborn, or Name of the Wind, Lies of Locke Lamora, Lady Pain (gil trilogy, though I've never read the first two), or any number of others. Though those are all fantasy, not scifi. For scifi, Old Mans War, Starship Troopers, Enders Game, Traitor (actually a Star Wars book, and one of the best books I've ever read believe it or not), and so on. Hmm, that reminds me to track down Matthew Stover's books, I've been wanting to read those. Read some excerpts from Heroes Die, and it sounds good.

Melissia
04-20-2010, 07:49 PM
I do enjoy re-reading the Battletech books. Almost all of them are interconnected in a very interesting way, telling the story of the history of that galaxy with several important characters and a clear timeline. Much better organized than Black Library.

Snarf
04-21-2010, 01:29 PM
I read a lot. I have some dragonlance books that are over 20 years old. Must have read them about 3 or 4 times.

Learnt long time ago to never lend my books out…. Not if I want them back anyway. Now if my mates want to read a book. I point to a chair and say make yourself comfortable…

Bavius
04-21-2010, 06:32 PM

That's the way it should be, don't read anything you're not interested in.

That said, McNeill and Abnett have done some pretty good bolter porn. It's still bolter porn, but at least it was fun to read and I was interested in reading it (new to the hobby, didn't know all that much about marines to begin with).

imperialsavant
04-21-2010, 06:47 PM

I'm more of a hockey man, myself. A sport where you can actually punch other players. Used to be a lot more entertaining with the fights but it got rather brutal to the point where ****ing up the other teams' star players was a STRATEGY. Which wasn't cool. Only reason Yzerman lasted 20 years was he had Probert watching out for him. Sorry, I'm in a rambling mood tonight.

:D Ahhh! You would probably love Aussie Rugby League.
Lots of Tackling, punch ups. Big blokes belting into each other at top speed & NO helmets & body armour like Gridiron. :eek:

imperialsavant
04-21-2010, 06:53 PM
I totally agre here, i dont read the books, just more marketing crap from GW to make people buy into the Space Marine fan base.

Look into how many books there are for SM's, IG compared to say Eldar, SoB, or even any of the other factions, ny necron books yet??

I tried to read one novel, it was over done, poorly writen and just like any of the others ive flicked through that concentrated on SM's. I dont read anything Space Marine now, bores the hell out of me, id rather spend hours painting other armies than read 'just another SM' novel.

:) You really should try some of the Caiphus Cain novels by Sandy Mitchell. IG Vs Orks, Necrons, Chaos & all sorts of stuff.
Very humourous, clever & fun. His meeting with a Kroot was incredable & you get lots of background on the 40K universe as well. Sisters make an appearance in one of the later ones. the second last if I remember correctly.

Commissar Lewis
04-21-2010, 10:12 PM
:D Ahhh! You would probably love Aussie Rugby League.
Lots of Tackling, punch ups. Big blokes belting into each other at top speed & NO helmets & body armour like Gridiron. :eek:

I likely would. Some day I'll have to check it out.

DarkLink
04-21-2010, 11:22 PM
I read a lot. I have some dragonlance books that are over 20 years old. Must have read them about 3 or 4 times.

Learnt long time ago to never lend my books out…. Not if I want them back anyway. Now if my mates want to read a book. I point to a chair and say make yourself comfortable…

Oh, I still lend out books. I had to rebuy the mistborn trilogy (and several other books), and I'm not even entirely sure who has the originals.

Lord Azaghul
04-22-2010, 06:34 AM
Oh, I still lend out books. I had to rebuy the mistborn trilogy (and several other books), and I'm not even entirely sure who has the originals.

I can't tell you how many copies of 'ender's game' I've bought over the years!:p

Cryl
04-22-2010, 06:36 AM
I can't tell you how many copies of 'ender's game' I've bought over the years!:p

That is one of the greats... I think I've bought the entire series at least 4 times from lending it out to people. The first one is still the best

oni
04-22-2010, 02:57 PM
The only literature I read more than once are rulebooks, codices, and instruction manuals. Novels... I read them once and I'm done.

I'm in the middle of Rynn's World right now and despite and plethora of type-o's I think it's really good. There are some scenes that end abruptly and without detail, it makes me chuckle a little, but over all it's a good read.