PDA

View Full Version : Need help with colors and info.

joescalise
04-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Hello

what color would you say the colors of these energy weapons blast is?

Melta
Plasma
Lascannon

Thank you

Just_Me
04-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Melta weapons are essentially heat rays, so I always assumed that Melta weapons didn't create visible energy, just a ripple of heat haze when they fired.

Plasma would be too bright to see a color, it would appear blindingly white, or at most blue-white. Consider, stars are composed of plasma and what do you see if you try to look directly at the sun, even though it is nearly 100 million miles away?

Lascannon, depends, most depictions seem to suggest blue-white, with lower powered las weapons as red. This makes some sense, as shorter wavelengths of light (blue and UV for instance) carry greater energy than longer wavelengths (red and UR). From a scientific perspective of course you really shouldn't be able to see a laser beam itself unless there were particles in the air to reflect it (dust, fog, etc), but 40k uses "rule of cool" so this pseudo-scientific explanation should work just fine.

gcsmith
04-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Las weapons u wouldnt see, As you can hardly see a single pulse of light travelling, well out the fps of our eyes we couldnt. In fact las weapons have to have kick back added system added just so the firer knew he fired it :P

Plasma could be anything, Fire is plasma, and while its as hot as the sun it depends how effiecent the system is, While on earth nowadays hot=EM waves thats mostly metallic objects, since plasma is a ball of super heated gas, or free eletrons with some sort of bonding between the group. The more efficent it is the darker or more red the ball would appear, It could also be visible without burning ur eyes if it was made to transfer heat only and not light. Again depends on the tech involved

Melta, well as above it would likely be a ripple of heat, tho watever it hits given its strength and ap compared to plasma would turn blindingly white if its metalic in nanoseconds.

Just_Me
04-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Fire is plasma...

Just about everything else you said is (mostly) correct, but I cannot help but point out that fire and plasma are NOT the same thing. Plasma is matter that has been ionized and has certain properties that define it as a separate state of matter (distinct from solids, liquids and gases). Fire is simply the visible portion of a combustion reaction. Plasma is also so energetic that it would almost certainly give off nearly blinding white light, this is born out by most fluff descriptions which refer to blinding beams of light that leave pronounced afterimages if looked at directly and reduce whatever they hit to ash almost instantly.

TSINI
04-16-2010, 07:10 PM
All I know is that lascannons sound like this:

FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Madness
04-17-2010, 04:05 AM
Just_Me is almost always spot on, as a rule. In this case he just missed some small details, yes laser isn't visible, but there's an issue of having Tracer_ammunition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracer_ammunition) to adjust the aim. So pretty much any laser coloration is cool, picking one similar to the wavelength might make some sort of sence, but you're not literally restricted.

Again, rule of cool does apply tho, I'd say the colors used in DoW are pretty cool, so I'd go with it.

joescalise
04-17-2010, 06:41 AM
WOW, I am just trying to get some info for painting.

Let me try this again, what color would you paint a Melta, Plasma and Lascannon blast?

Fizyx
04-17-2010, 07:13 AM
WOW, I am just trying to get some info for painting.

Let me try this again, what color would you paint a Melta, Plasma and Lascannon blast?

To me,

Melta = red
Plasma = white-ish blue
Lascannon = yellow

But that is just me. I'll refrain from busting out the graduate degree in Physics :p

The AKH
04-17-2010, 09:57 AM
The way I visualize it;

Melta: a bright yellow-white
Plasma: a bright blue-white
Lascannon: either reddish or bluish white.

Lerra
04-17-2010, 10:08 AM
I always figured melta was red.

Plasma as blue-to-white seems pretty established.

I'd go with white for lascannon. Or maybe green-to-white.

gcsmith
04-17-2010, 10:45 AM
meh just_me my science teacher a level sed fire is plasma :p

Madness
04-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Fire is a form of plasma, not the form of plasma the plasmagun shoots. It's the kind of plasma a flamer shoots.

gcsmith
04-17-2010, 12:40 PM
but still plasma :p

FaultyVoodoo
04-17-2010, 04:16 PM
In DoWCR, melta is shown as a extremely bright blue-white flare.