PDA

View Full Version : GW is brilliant for NOT making a Stormraven model.

Lord Azaghul
04-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Title says it all: how many Landraiders and Valkyries have they sold since the new BA release!

Same thing with the IG book, same think with the 'Nid book!

Best part: it makes everybody happy. Hobbiest get to build awesome models, GW sells more models. Its a win, win

Gir
04-15-2010, 08:03 AM
I'm still waiting out for a proper release, my conversion skills arn't that great :(

Sparda
04-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Same, I've tried to do some conversions that looked great my head before but...it didn't look so well when the model was put together. =/

ggg
04-15-2010, 08:40 AM
My guess is that not many land raiders and valks have been bought for this purpose- I would suggest that the few who post pictures of such efforts reflect the majority of those who have done so. I have visited 6 GW stores in the past month and not seen or heard of a single local player who has built or fielded one. There has been one staff member but the true test is those who buy without a huge discount. I will not pay £75 to make a half arsed hack job.

That said. I am extremely impressed with the true hobbyists who have gone to the effort of making one. More than I have done.

Also, I don't have a problem with GW not making models for units - so long as there are enough good models out there as is the case with marines.

Do you think they will be coming out with the Grey Knights and perhaps cost £35? I can see that selling - Grey knight players + the blood angel players who have bought the death co and sang guard who have had time to recover sufficiently to afford one after the breathing space afforded by the Dark eldar - Wave 2 seems viable to me.

eldargal
04-15-2010, 08:43 AM
I've always felt that each codex should have one unit for which a unit is not available for, to give a little something extra to the hobbyists. For those who lack converting skills, and I'm not exactly brilliant at it, you can always get a more talented friend/games group chum to do it.

Melissia
04-15-2010, 08:58 AM
They'll release it with Grey Knights.

Lord Azaghul
04-15-2010, 09:06 AM
My guess is that not many land raiders and valks have been bought for this purpose- I would suggest that the few who post pictures of such efforts reflect the majority of those who have done so. I have visited 6 GW stores in the past month and not seen or heard of a single local player who has built or fielded one. There has been one staff member but the true test is those who buy without a huge discount. I will not pay £75 to make a half arsed hack job.

That said. I am extremely impressed with the true hobbyists who have gone to the effort of making one. More than I have done.

I've see (in my area) countless 'nid converasions. I've also seen tons of bassie turned into medusas. Granted these are alot easier conversions then the stormraven. I myself would never dream of trying something so...demanding, but some of the results of others are absolutely fantastic!

BuFFo
04-15-2010, 10:37 AM
I am glad, whether intentional or not, that there are missing models for converters to use their imaginations.

rarves
04-15-2010, 11:51 AM
I know a few peope who converted Deathstrike launchers to be unique to hem. It issuch a interesting and odd unit, that each player should have to make one in their style.

MC Tic Tac
04-15-2010, 12:03 PM

That or the BA second wave in 9-12 months time.

Either way sad but true :(

MVBrandt
04-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Coupled w/ the fact that the Stormraven kinda sucks, I'd call it a double fail on GW's part, actually. This is basically the opposite of the Valkyrie model's success.

Marshal2Crusaders
04-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Im pretty motivated for this Grey Knights Codex.

gwensdad
04-15-2010, 12:44 PM
My prediction: The Spearhead White Dwarf will include the Stormraven rules for the "regular" marines (and Space Wolves) with a work-in-progress picture saying "the model is coming out in X months with the GREY KNIGHT CODEX!"*

Now, I wonder if bikes can assault out of it...

*their emphasis in my imaginary world, not mine. Well, since I guess it's my imagination it IS mine but...ah forget it.

Earthen
04-15-2010, 01:06 PM

this, after youve already bought all your landraiders and valkries to make conversions.

Gooball
04-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Prove it.
I hope there is never a model for it, its overrated and a mere copy from the valkrie anyhow.

Lord Azaghul
04-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Prove it.
I hope there is never a model for it, its overrated and a mere copy from the valkrie anyhow.

with anti-melta bonusness!
I did love the little fluff bit on that: because it comes through the atmospher, its melta resistant! So all that other low orbit stuff, like drop pods, valks, DS landraiders just where fortunate enough not to get melta resistant plating!
(won't be stopping my autocannon IG assult anyhow!):D

Gooball
04-15-2010, 02:45 PM
If it ever does have a model though im betting it will be a forgeworld one

Lord Inquisitor
04-15-2010, 03:09 PM
In case you haven't seen this.
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=6493

Melissia
04-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Prove it.I can't prove it any more than you can prove they won't. However, fluff indicates that the Grey Knights are intended to be its primary users.

Dingareth
04-15-2010, 05:17 PM
In case you haven't seen this.
http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?t=6493

Yes because incorrectly labeling pictures of Thunderhawks as Storm Ravens proves what exactly?

Gir
04-15-2010, 06:21 PM
I did love the little fluff bit on that: because it comes through the atmospher, its melta resistant! So all that other low orbit stuff, like drop pods, valks, DS landraiders just where fortunate enough not to get melta resistant plating!

Considering the resistant plating would be on the bottom of the drop pod, the fact that it lacks the rule just means the part that hasn't can't be shot at.

Valkyries are also not void capable, and therefore have no need for plating to protect them from atmospheric entry.

Land raiders are carried in Thunderhawk transporters (Which do have the anti melta rule). An angle of descent would to used that would allow the thunderhawk to bare the strain of most the re-entry heat, protecting the land raider. Same as the Dreadnought on the back of a Storm Raven.

If it ever does have a model though im betting it will be a forgeworld one

Prove it.

rockdeity
04-15-2010, 07:55 PM
That or the BA second wave in 9-12 months time.

Either way sad but true :(

That seems more likely than grey knights. I wish that were true (mainly because it means new grey knights), but I think that's wishful thinking.

Melissia
04-15-2010, 08:31 PM
Err... we ARE getting new Grey Knights. Just reading the BoLS blog would get you that, but then there's the HUGE thread about it in the news section of this forum...

DarkLink
04-15-2010, 10:43 PM
From what I heard, GW simply didn't finish the model in time, but decided not to hold back the whole BA release for it.

Meaning it will be released whenever they finish it and find a convenient place to put it, be it GKs, BA 2nd wave, or whatever. I imagine it will be done in time for the GKs, though.

Sangre
04-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Now, I wonder if bikes can assault out of it...

Best. Image. Ever.

Xas
04-17-2010, 12:06 PM
I lolled when I read that some people actually believe the valk is void capable...

on the issue itself I think the SR will be the grey knights primary release modell.

my prediction: de in midsummer, GK around new year (if the SR would be ready for the midsummer release we would at least have a drawing of it in the BA dex) with plastic GK in both termi armor and power armor that allow you to convert most if not all marine stuff into GK stuff just like the SW stuff. add a few pewter modells and your done.

DarkLink
04-17-2010, 12:32 PM

Valks are atmosphere only, Land Raiders are carried in THawks, drop pod doors open up, exposing the non-protected inside...

I'll point out that THawks have the exact same no-melta rule. Just sayin:p.

Lord Azaghul
04-19-2010, 06:40 AM
My point was: the gw fluff silliness!

Generally 40k fluff IS much better then fantasy. But the only reason the stormraven gets anti-melta plating is because of how explody the valk it - no other reason. I just found the fluff reason laughable!:D

Once the SM's found out how metla resistant the plating was they'd plat everything in it! But apperently the BA are a bit slow!

DarkLink
04-19-2010, 06:59 AM
Actually, what's also kinda funny are all the SR valk conversions. Most of them just have the dreadnought hanging out the back, completely exposed. They seem to forget about that whole atmospheric insertion thing. A dread transported like that would have its arms melted off.

Lord Azaghul
04-19-2010, 07:01 AM
A dread transported like that would have its arms meltad off.

There you go! Fixed it for ya!:D