PDA

View Full Version : A legit picture of the Storm Raven by GW

Lord Inquisitor
04-14-2010, 09:38 PM
I believe that I have found a picture of the Storm Raven in the Space Wolves codex! Look on page 4. You see that mini Thunderhawk looking craft? Now look at page 11. Now as you can see in this picture without a doubt that is a Thunderhawk. Look at the differences. The one on page 4 also looks to have Lascannons? right over the front hatch. Also look at the wings compared to the one on page 11. There are two additional engines on the wings of what I am calling the Storm Raven. I also looked at the Thunderhawk in the Apocalypse book and it definitely looks longer and skinnier than that in page 4.

Kieranator K82
04-14-2010, 10:50 PM
Sir, I think you may have stumbled on a gold mine. Or a land mine. Whichever you prefer. I believe that does look like the underside of a Storm Raven. Good hunting.

Duke
04-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Very interesting, I will have to look at the codex tomorrow for sure, too bad you couldn't post a pic or two for those of us who don't have direct access atm.

Duke

addamsfamily36
04-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Firt thing im doing at my local GW games night 2morrow is opening the wolves codex to page 4 lol

Darkriver
04-14-2010, 11:38 PM
Looking at the two pictures now. You may very well be spot on with your find.

ragnarcissist
04-15-2010, 12:31 AM
i dont have my codex around, but if this were true, shouldnt my beloved wolves have access to this? perhaps calling it the stormwolf? (not like id take it, my list hasnt lost in over a month)

SonicPara
04-15-2010, 12:43 AM
Stormraven? from page 4 of Space Wolves
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/QRT-Para-Spartan/stormraven.jpg?t=1271313672

Thunderhawk from page 11 of Space Wolves
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/QRT-Para-Spartan/Thunderhawk.jpg?t=1271313751

Kieranator K82
04-15-2010, 12:48 AM
Yes... EXCELLENT!
Many thanks, SonicPara. Now we have reference in this very thread. As you can see, as stated by Lord Inquisitor, there are wing and engine variations as well as what appears to be lascannons? above the front ramp.

SonicPara
04-15-2010, 12:54 AM
The supposed Lascannons are really tough to see but there is definitely something there. GW has tons of funky depictions of the Thunderhawk throughout their publications but what really gets me about the mystery picture is the engines. Not only are there now two per wing but look at the lighting behind the vehicle. There are at least two more engines mounted to the back of the vehicle, radically different from the three massive engines of the Thunderhawk.

The mystery vehicle is also missing the forward stablizing wings of the Thunderhawk, and the rearward wings are far smaller than a Thunderhawk's. I don't quite know why they would deliberatly put art of the Stormraven in the Space Wolves codex, usually when they sneak in something before announcement it is a kit sitting in a photograph a la bastion.

musical-fool
04-15-2010, 04:04 AM
suh-weeet! Although it looks like nothing I imagined the pure fact that GW have sneeked in this art for the Storm Raven makes it all the more exciting and legit'!

Wasn't it in the SW codex that the recent SM statue was seen? Maybe we ought to have a look in the Ba codex for some hidden treasure in plain sight!

The Hivemind
04-15-2010, 04:36 AM
Damn look at that! Awesome spot. I think you've hit the nail right on the head there!

joescalise
04-15-2010, 05:26 AM
interesting, now if only space wolves could take it. : )

synack
04-15-2010, 05:39 AM
suh-weeet! Although it looks like nothing I imagined the pure fact that GW have sneeked in this art for the Storm Raven makes it all the more exciting and legit'!

Wasn't it in the SW codex that the recent SM statue was seen? Maybe we ought to have a look in the Ba codex for some hidden treasure in plain sight!

You mean like on page 22 of the BA codex?

Lord Azaghul
04-15-2010, 06:31 AM
I think GW been enjoying 'hiding' some of the planned releases in the new books. The Imperial guard book was just clogged with planet strike terrain! I think those soon to released statues we're in a couple of prior releases as well, and I know a prototype bastion was in the 5th ed rule book!

addamsfamily36
04-15-2010, 06:38 AM
You mean like on page 22 of the BA codex?

By this do you mean the flyer in the background? because thats a very old picture, and im pretty sure thats a thunderhawk as it has the front fins.

Forhekset
04-15-2010, 07:23 AM
I'm gunna be a nay-sayer here cause it could just as easily NOT be it.

Also I really don't want it to be it cause it looks dumb :P Like a flying shoe box with 3 times more engines on it.

lobster-overlord
04-15-2010, 07:38 AM
So it should be cheaper to build a conversion of for you if its just a shoebox.

As to pg 22 in BA. That's gotta be the oldest picture in the whole book.

Duke
04-15-2010, 07:58 AM
Yea, page 22 in C:BA ois too old to have a Storm Raven in it.

Duke

Darchangel
04-15-2010, 09:45 AM
And then there's the fact that I don't see grapples anywhere where you could fit a dreadnaught.

I would prefer some images that float in my head to the box with fins instead of wings.

Still, early concept? That would make sense.. and it looks kind of like the blunt instrument the teen wolves are, so.. it works with the photo.

david5th
04-15-2010, 11:35 AM
By jove i think the mans right.

MC Tic Tac
04-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Looks like a badly drawn Thunderhawk with stubby wings to me.......

Grubnar
04-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Am I the only one to think that this is simply another Land Speeder, like all the other flying vehicles in that pic?

Sure, it is not a very good drawing and the angle is funny, but it looks like that to me.

:confused:

SonicPara
04-15-2010, 02:16 PM
It can't be a Land Speeder. Asside from the previously mentioned differences that make the vehicle look new, it is missing the Land Speeder's iconic armour in the front and sides of the craft. I know I didn't post up the full picture but the rest of the drawing shows Land Speeders which have the armour pannels. Since the artist correctly portrayed Land Speeders in the same drawing, this vehicle can't be one.

Assuming it isn't GW trying to hide the Stormraven in plain sight, it could just be a terrible rendition of a Thunderhawk. It is so different in so many ways, but GW associated artists have mucked up Thunderhawk drawings before. If this is just another bad Thunderhawk drawing, then I think it is the worst seeing as how it is extremely different from the actual craft.

Gooball
04-15-2010, 02:41 PM
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Aeronautica-Imperialis/Imperial_Navy_Squadrons/AERONAUTICA-IMPERIALIS-THUNDERHAWK-TRANSPORTER-WITH-RHINOS.html
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/BLOOD-ANGELS-THUNDERHAWK.html
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/GREY-KNIGHTS-THUNDERHAWK_.html
And odds are if a stormraven kit ever does come out (Hope not) that it'll be a forgeworld

Lord Inquisitor
04-15-2010, 03:01 PM
I was just flipping through my brother's SpaceWolves codex and it hit me that I had never seen a flyer like that. The picture has other Land Speeders and they are definetly smaller. The only reason I can see for this not being the Storm Raven is because it doesn't APPEAR to have a place to hold a Dreadnought. It also fits the description of the Storm Raven quite well, a smaller Thunderhawk.

SonicPara
04-15-2010, 03:19 PM
That is a good point about the Dreadnought clamp. GW could model the Stormraven as having the Dreadnought clamp enclosed, somewhat like a bomb-bay. It would certainly explain why the Dreadnought can't be shot out of the Stormraven, but it kinda seems like the whole idea is just grasping at straws, trying to make that picture a Stormraven.

BKRHINO
04-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Hello everyone,

For those people lucky to have a copy of Rogue Trader have a look on page 90.
The image on page 90 in the Rogue Trader book might be the Stormraven, has the assault cannons out the front:rolleyes::confused:

Stubber
04-15-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm not sure if the SM statue was in the space wolves codex but I do think I've seen it in a WD article featuring wolves. You may be onto something about GW giving sneak peeks at upcoming stuff. The bastions released for planetstrike are on p.83 of the 5th edition rulebook, as far as I know that's where they were first seen.

SonicPara
04-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Hello everyone,

For those people lucky to have a copy of Rogue Trader have a look on page 90.
The image on page 90 in the Rogue Trader book might be the Stormraven, has the assault cannons out the front:rolleyes::confused:

Can you provide a picture? I don't own a copy of Rogue Trader so I can't help out

Rift Knight
04-15-2010, 08:46 PM
Are you sure it's page 90 in the Rogue Trader book, I only see descriptions of grenades and all the pics are of figures. No vehicles.

BKRHINO
04-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Well in my book it is on page 90 under the page title Chapter IV Talents at the bottom of the page.
Just looked through my book and found the grenades on page 125 under the armoury section. I will try and get a picture / scan of the page and post it.

Lord Lucius Shadow
04-25-2010, 09:50 PM
I've been doing alot of staring at these two and many other images over the last week and a bit as I'm currently creating a stormraven myself and I have come to the conclusion that the picture in space wolves codex is a Thunderhawk.

The difference between the two is one is a Transport variant and the other is a Gunship variant.

If you look through the imperial armour 2 codex you'll see that there are two version, the transport being longer and the gunship having thrusters by the wings.

Loved to be proved wrong but I don't think I am.

Rusty Dice
04-26-2010, 12:04 PM
The transporter still has bigger wings, wings and engines at the front and it carries its load underneath.

The image in question here has a flat bottom, no wings at the front, stubby rear wings.

Heck the Transporter hasn't even got guns at the front.

Imperial Armour 2 is Orks and Eldar.

Lord Lucius Shadow
04-26-2010, 10:25 PM
No I was saying that the pg4 image was that of the gunship variant... it looks flat from this angle but so could the thunderhawk gunship.

Don't have the codex infront of me, but it is the Space Marine & inquisition one.

MasterSlowPoke
04-26-2010, 10:30 PM
There's no reason to believe that's not just one of the thousands of throwaway, unnamed vehicles in the background art.

FastEd
04-27-2010, 04:57 AM
The Rogue Trader book being referenced isn't the old 1st Ed. rulebook, but the second core book for the WH40k roll play series.

As for said picture on p.90, while defiantly an armed and armored imperial transport it doesn't mount any of the armaments the storm raven is described as having (aside from what may be an assault cannon on the nose, however it could easily be another multi-barreled gatling system). Note it also mounts things that the storm raven isn't described as having, such as the bubble canopy sporting defensive gun mounts mounted just aft of the cockpit, along with the weapon that seems to overlook the cockpit's front hatch. That said, it is a pretty cool looking ship, though I'm not the biggest fan of the cockpit.

BKRHINO
04-29-2010, 05:04 AM
Sorry I should have made my post a little clearer yes it is the Dark Heresy / Rogue traders book RPG.
here is the picture I was talking about sorry for the long delay.

http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad102/Purpletickman/Warhammer%2040K/stormraven_from_Rogue_Trader.jpg