PDA

View Full Version : Combat tactics trick

VinceBlack
08-06-2009, 04:36 PM
Tell me if this is legal or am I interpreting this incorrectly. I have a squad of marines/scouts and they go to ground to get a cover save, they are now effectively pinned but I manage to save a model or 2. I decide to fail my morale test so they immediately get up and fall back. Beginning of my turn because of ATSKNF they rally and act normally effectively getting around the pinning?

I thought of this with my cloaked scouts when they get hit by a bunch of plasma or battlecannon etc...

Old_Paladin
08-06-2009, 05:42 PM
My only question would be "what test are they failing to run away?"

If the squad took 25% casualties or got tank shocked after they went to ground, then yes.
But if going to ground saved enough marines, and they took no more shooting, then no.

Going to ground also says you can do nothing of your own volition, so it's possible that they cannot elect to automatically fail, and actually have to roll the dice (like normal armies).

VinceBlack
08-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Yes I was assuming that they take 25% casualties.

VinceBlack
08-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Ok so I got home and checked the rule and I'm still confused. Yes as old paladin stated they, " can do nothing of their own volition, but will act normally when affected by enemy actions (for example, it will take morale tests as normal). So they can't do anything but then they act normally?

Lucky Moniker
08-06-2009, 11:24 PM
I would assume that if you elected to fail your morale test the fall back, making the effective no longer pinned.

mkerr
08-06-2009, 11:30 PM
Tell me if this is legal or am I interpreting this incorrectly. I have a squad of marines/scouts and they go to ground to get a cover save, they are now effectively pinned but I manage to save a model or 2. I decide to fail my morale test so they immediately get up and fall back. Beginning of my turn because of ATSKNF they rally and act normally effectively getting around the pinning?

Assuming you are facing an amount of fire that will guarantee you will take a Morale check, this is an awesome tactic.

1. Get shot at.
2. Announce that you are gong to ground.
3. Resolve shooting and take 25% casualties.
4. Make a morale check and choose to fail it.
5. Fall back and regroup with ATSKNF.
6. Act normally on your turn.

As a matter of fact, this might be a best practice tactic. It only hurts you when your opponent fails to do 25% casualties.

-- MKerr

Aldramelech
08-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Ok, this sounds great and I would like to use this but, where in the rules does it say you can choose to fail a morale test? I cant find anything that says you can.

Gotthammer
08-07-2009, 02:20 AM
New Marine Codex - Combat Tactics special rule.

Aldramelech
08-07-2009, 10:03 AM
New Marine Codex - Combat Tactics special rule.

Cool. Thanks for that:)

StrikerFox
08-08-2009, 05:38 AM
someone brought this up too, but also with the IG, the "get back into the fight" order, i think, can basically do something similar.. atleast without failing any morale checks or whatever..

but damn was i suprised when the pinned heavy weapons team got back up and mowed my boyz down! XD

Aldramelech
08-08-2009, 11:54 AM
They have to survive in the first place, which is quite rare lol

VinceBlack
08-08-2009, 01:00 PM
They have to survive in the first place, which is quite rare lol

Well its no that you are getting a great save with a 6+ out in the open but when you just get hit with a ton of low AP its a way to keep a squad alive and at least save a KP. Also with scouts and camo cloaks your looking at a 5+ cover and that's what lesser demons use.

Dan-e
08-08-2009, 08:00 PM
I see this tactic from one of the guys at my LFGS who plays a hardcore by the codex 4th company Ultramarines. Many ofter SM players i know use other combat tactics options form character HQ choices and so don't have the option to auto fail.

I don't see going to ground stoping this as its not really an action. I consider it being no different then some one who choses an Inv save over a cover save. Would that be limited by going to ground? i don't see going to ground limiting the player from the choice to fail a test.