PDA

View Full Version : Shut out of 'Ard Boyz Semis

Nikephoros
08-06-2009, 04:26 PM
I won my preliminary and earned the right to go to the semis. GW website advised to call the store I want to play at (two semi locations in my state) about a week in advance to secure my spot. I call about two weeks ahead of time and both of the locations are "full." Whats worse, I am the SIXTH alternate at the closest location.

Why would GW offer more passes than there were spots available? The closest store with open spots is in North Carolina, about 12 hours away. It's pretty simple to figure out how many preliminary locations they had in a state, multiply by 3 and then arrange to have that much table space in the state for semis. But what do I know?

I'm pretty bummed that I don't get to compete because either people from other states are bypassing their local semi to come to mine, or due to some kind of cheating.

Pretty lame. Any advice on what to do? My semi location is about 2 hours from here, so I figure I'll go up and hope 7 people dont show up and then I get to play as an alternate.

Valhallan42nd
08-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Good lord. I'm guessing you're shut out of Sci-fi City, which is odd, considering it's size. Have you contacted GW?

Dazz
08-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Not to be rude or say someone is cheating but this has happened before. It happened when a series of gamers decided to call the local(ish) Semi location and book themselves a spot even though they did not win such a spot. Not sure if this is possible anymore but a couple years ago there were no records and it was all done on a "he said, she said" basis so they all said they won and got accepted leaving several of us who should have gone out in the cold and no way of getting our spot. Hopefully it works better for you.

iamaddj
08-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Well I think the real problem is GW only has a lose idea of how many spots each of the Semi-Final spots has. Sadly GW only really checks that they have a lose minimum of tables, and the number of tables/spots allavible at each store changes between stores and even at times between weeks at that store. So sadly I think this sad occurrence is due more to lack of communication then cheating.

BuFFo
08-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Hey Nikephoros

I am attending the Semi at Sci Fi city, and if you want you can show up at 1130am, and if by 1200 anyone is late, you will get bumped into an open spot.

I am in Melbourne, and I will be going myself. Good luck!

(do you ever game at the Wizard's Wall in Melbourne?)

Nikephoros
08-07-2009, 04:51 AM
Hey Nikephoros

I am attending the Semi at Sci Fi city, and if you want you can show up at 1130am, and if by 1200 anyone is late, you will get bumped into an open spot.

I am in Melbourne, and I will be going myself. Good luck!

(do you ever game at the Wizard's Wall in Melbourne?)

Yeah I plan on coming up to Sci-Fi City early and see if people dont show and/or are cheating the system. The other guys from my store figure if anyone is cheating the system they wont have their certificates or their store wont have registered them online. The issue comes down to how much effort Sci-Fi City puts into checking whether people are supposed to be there or not.

I have been to WW a few times but I havent ever played there.

BuFFo
08-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Well, at the Wizard's Wall, on Tuesdays and Saturdays, we have 40k day. Especially Tuesday as it is "Burgers and Battles" where you can buy large hamburgers for $1. Also, on the first Tuesday of each month, the store buys the burgers for everyone.

See you in Orlando Saturday!

Valhallan42nd
08-26-2009, 06:27 PM
Nikephoros, how did this all turn out?

Nikephoros
08-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Was lucky enough to get in as the last alternate. My battle rep is in the appropriate subforum.

Slann
08-27-2009, 11:37 PM
glad you got to play , just the chance of that happening is poppycock , how can you hold events that are qualify events and not have space for people that win them in the following round . GW just giving a big FU to there gamers again and not making sure things go well with there ard boyz , but they will make sure to raise great swords higher than chaos knights and raise the price on there tanks and take away the accessory sprue so you have to pay 15 more dollers for the plow and track guards .