PDA

View Full Version : Gets Hot!

Iceman
04-12-2010, 06:46 PM
This is probably a stupid question but I just wanted to make sure I am doing things right. When rolling for "Gets Hot!" on a plasma gun (assault 2) do you check for whether or not the gun overheats on each shot or do you only check it once before firing? The rules say whenever firing but I suspect they may mean whenever firing for each shot. If it is for each shot than it would seem like it gets pretty risky to shoot (especially for us IG types).

Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks in advance.

Nabterayl
04-12-2010, 07:01 PM
You check for every shot. If it makes you feel better, this is way better than in 4e. In 5th edition, if you rapid fire a plasma gun, you suffer a saveable wound for each die that comes up 1. In 4th edition, if you rapid fired a plasma gun, you suffered a saveable wound for each die that came up 1 or 2.

The Hivemind
04-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Actually afaik, depending on your BS of course, you only overheat on a 1 and 2's just miss. If you rapid fire and roll 2 1's you still only roll 1 armour save. At least that's how i thought it had changed in 5th ed. If anyone can quote me different however i shall stand humbly corrected...

OCdt Mephiston
04-13-2010, 12:31 AM
"For each result of a 1 rolled on its to hit rolls, the firing model suffers a wound (normal saves apply)."

P. 31 of the Rulebook

The thing that I do think is up for interpretation is whether for, say, a plasma gun totting marine, he does get to take armour saves after his weapon gets hot. The way I see it, he is taking a wound from a S7 AP2 weapon and as result is turned to slag on a roll of 1. It could also be read that he simply suffers a wound and can take his best save... This way of playing kinda sucks tho, as one of your guys is essentially carrying a suicide gun :rolleyes:

musical-fool
04-13-2010, 12:37 AM
For Plasma guns you roll the dice as per normal to "hit" your target. If these fail to hit and give you 1's then you have to roll the same number of saves per 1's. I.e. Rapid fire: two shots, one hit (let's say a 3) and a miss (1) you roll the hit as normal and then the save on the shooter because of the Gets Hot! rule. This could also mean that if you rolled double 1's on rapid fire you would have two saves to make.

Plasma Canons on the other hand (only for infantry) you have to roll 1D6 before the scatter dice and on a result of 1 you have to make the save on the shooter and cannot roll the scatter dice.

hope this cleared up the query?

gcsmith
04-13-2010, 02:26 AM
But remmeber you check overheat EVen if your out of range.

MC Tic Tac
04-13-2010, 05:43 AM
But remmeber you check overheat EVen if your out of range.

No don't you just auto miss in 5th Edtion (that was 4th).

XHound87
04-13-2010, 07:46 AM
No don't you just auto miss in 5th Edtion (that was 4th).

Not quite.
Pg. 31 of the BRB under Gets Hot!: "Roll to hit as normal, except that you must roll to hit even if the target is found to be out of range."

There's a risk if you don't know if you'll get range. It'd be silly if you didn't overheat.

Eusebius Rex
04-13-2010, 10:24 AM
"For each result of a 1 rolled on its to hit rolls, the firing model suffers a wound (normal saves apply)."

P. 31 of the Rulebook

The thing that I do think is up for interpretation is whether for, say, a plasma gun totting marine, he does get to take armour saves after his weapon gets hot. The way I see it, he is taking a wound from a S7 AP2 weapon and as result is turned to slag on a roll of 1. It could also be read that he simply suffers a wound and can take his best save... This way of playing kinda sucks tho, as one of your guys is essentially carrying a suicide gun :rolleyes:

Yes, I agree, that interpretation does seem to cause a cunundrum (one that no one really seems to get wrapped up in though). My thought is that the wound you recieve from Gets Hot rule is from the rule, not the weapon, so it is a "generic" wound that you always get a save from if the unit has a save roll.

Here is another way to look at it. Let's say there was weapon that is S1 AP4 gets hot. it would be a sucky weapon, but if you roll the 1 to hit, you still have to save the wound even if your unit was T5+ because of the Gets Hot rule, despite S1 not being able to hurt T5+ at all. So for better or worse, the Gets Hot! rule is what is giving the wound, not the S/AP from the weapon itself.

Melissia
04-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Correct. It it could melt power armor, it'd melt the gun BTW. A normal shot is a safe discharge of the plasma energy, but if a gets hot roll is literally the same as a normal shot, then it would destroy the gun AND the user.

Valkerie
04-13-2010, 11:07 AM
The way it was explained to me fluffwise, is that it is the cooling system of the weapon that is overheating and venting steam, just like a car radiator. So you're not actually getting plasma in the face, just really hot coolant. That allows the armor save. Otherwise, Gets Hot would be an almost automatic kill for anyone using it, and I doubt anyone would carry plasma weapons.

Commissar Lewis
04-13-2010, 06:48 PM
The way it was explained to me fluffwise, is that it is the cooling system of the weapon that is overheating and venting steam, just like a car radiator. So you're not actually getting plasma in the face, just really hot coolant. That allows the armor save. Otherwise, Gets Hot would be an almost automatic kill for anyone using it, and I doubt anyone would carry plasma weapons.

That's kinda how I imagine it. Or my analogy: eating a hot pocket, blowing in it to cool it off but there's a little hole in the side of the pastry and hot air vents out and burns you slightly. Happened to me many times; always check the side of hot pastries for tiny holes that air can vent out of when blowing into it to cool the filling off.