PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Blower for DH?

bonedale
04-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Yea yea, I know. Flavor of the month build, but let's humor is DH players.

Can it work inducting platoons, and breaking them out into Chimera toting units. (Allowed in the FAQ). What is NOT leaf blower about this list is the lack of not artillery in a DH list.

But after reading and watching the BRs on Darkwynn's incredible list, and other imitators. I see that the meatshield I used to ignore because Iron FIst Squads were too small, and Platoons once were not able to take transports, the new Platoon rules put the highly effective Chimera in our army at a cheap price. Cheap firepower is now protected.

So instead of pounding the enemy from behind a chim wall, we would be deep striking GKs into the backfield, and pushing Land Raiders through the lines.

Thoughts? (and I know it's usually better to take a IG list and induct, but I want to see where this goes.)

DarkLink
04-12-2010, 06:53 PM
The strength of the leafblower list is that it does just that; blows away the enemy before the enemy can do enough damage back. The opponent has to shoot their way through walls of vehicles, and in the meantime they are being hammered by massive amounts of heavy weapons and pie plates.

Inducting IG into a DH list is definately a good thing, but it cannot even come close to duplicating a leafblower type list.There are just too many missing units, particularly artillery. You can get a solid list with inducted IG (in fact, this would probably be the most competitive DH build by far), but it would play very, very differently from a leafblower list.

Plus, you can't get veterans of vendettas in a DH list. So no uber tank and horde killing vendetta/Valkyrie/melta veteran squad combo.

whitestar333
04-14-2010, 03:46 AM
If you really want to be a douche with DH you should play with 4 Land Raiders in 1250 points.
Yeah... there was a tournament at my LGS where some guy took that list in a tournament and naturally steamrolled almost everyone. There was only one person who had a chance, but it was only a small one.

I think Darkwynn's article today is a plea to make 40k more fun, and I can tell you, that game was not fun, and everyone universally thought the guy was being a massive douche for taking that list. Do you really want to be a bully on the 40k playground?

BuFFo
04-14-2010, 06:09 AM
I think Darkwynn's article today is a plea to make Darkwynn more fun...

Fixed it for you. :)

synack
04-14-2010, 06:21 AM
How if the world did he field 4 landraiders?

Melissia
04-14-2010, 08:20 AM
If you really want to be a douche with DH you should play with 4 Land Raiders in 1250 points.

That's not really douchey, I'd find that list pretty easy to counter...

DarkLink
04-14-2010, 08:31 AM
How if the world did he field 4 landraiders?

You can get up to 7 in a DH list.

booma
04-14-2010, 09:15 AM
And should get a swifyt slap across the forhead if you did!;) FILTh

trjames
04-14-2010, 09:24 AM
You can get up to 7 in a DH list.

Yeah, but how in a 1250 list? With 4 raiders, you've got 250 pts or less left over for a HQ and troops.

synack
04-14-2010, 09:27 AM
I need to go home and look at my codex =/

Melissia
04-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Inquisitor Lord:
-- Mystic
-- Mystic
-- Acolyte
-- Land Raider

Inquisitorial Stormtrooper Squad (5 members)

Grey Knights Land Raider

Grey Knights Land Raider

Grey Knights Land Raider

This is around 1160 points.

synack
04-14-2010, 09:29 AM
How would u get 7?

booma
04-14-2010, 09:34 AM
3 for elites, two for hq, 3 for hvy?? or some such. But god knows how yo uwould have the points or a functional force

Melissia
04-14-2010, 09:36 AM
Inquisitors can have land raiders as transports. Both the HQ and Elites variety.

synack
04-14-2010, 09:41 AM
LOL, we play 1650 points localy, I could probably field about 4-5 then. Not that I have that many landraiders.

Melissia
04-14-2010, 09:44 AM
You could fit five into that easily, and have points to spare for upgrading the squads.

Gooball
04-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Hax
Still wouldn't be hard to counter, i usually come against a land raider and 3 lascannons and three krak can dependably immoblise and destroy a weapon or so, leaving it weaker next turn for another volley of lascannon-y goodness . .
Honestly though it depends on whats inside it weather i'd even bother to shoot it, inquisitor lord with a few henchmen? a volley of lasguns and a assualt by penal legion should wipe em up (volley means anything from 10 to 150 shots.. i have evaporated terminators with 200 shots.. independent character+conscripts=win)

Dingareth
04-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Wow, 3 Lascannons an 3 Missile Launchers to counter Land Raiders... I want your deice, sir.

I would love to play against an army with 4 of them at 1250. I wonder what my 100 point Vet Squads with 3 Meltaguns would do to that army...

Melissia
04-14-2010, 11:42 AM
Or more amusingly, a 1250 mech Sisters list with six squads (five battle sister squads, one canoness w/celestian retinue) all toting meltaguns.

Which is something I've actually considered playing before, even if it lacked exorcists.

DarkLink
04-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Yeah, but how in a 1250 list? With 4 raiders, you've got 250 pts or less left over for a HQ and troops.

Inquisitor Lord w/ Retinue
LR dedicated transport
2x IST squads
3x Land Raiders

The Lord unit is roughly 60-70pts, minimum. The 2 ISTs are 100pts minimum. Buy a few more bodies and some meltaguns or something. Actually, you could get a third IST squad, and make 3 of the Land Raiders scoring. The IST's would probably never have to actually get out.

Edit: Actually, you would need a GK brother captain to unlock the 3 LRs, so you wouldn't have the points for a third IST squad, probably.

trjames
04-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Inquisitor Lord:
-- Mystic
-- Mystic
-- Acolyte
-- Land Raider

Grey Knights Land Raider

Grey Knights Land Raider

Grey Knights Land Raider

This is around 1160 points.

No, that's not a legal list. You've gotta have a GK BC or GM to get those three GK raiders in the Heavy slots. You could replace the Lord with a BC as the one HQ, and take a regular inquisitor as an elite choice and give him a Raider as a dedicated transport. You could actually do that for around 1180, so you'd have room for another unit of STs plus either armor or smoke on all of your raiders.

Can elite slot inquisitors take Land Raiders? The entry for the elite slot doesn't mention the availability of a transport, but I guess you can or you'd never be able to take seven LRs in a list.

Melissia
04-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Ah, my bad, I didn't see that small print. You're right.

But.

You CAN take an Inquisitor Lord and three elite Inquisitors with land raiders.

And yeah, AFAIK it's Inquisitors that can take Land Raiders, regardless of rank. As long as the Inquisitor has at least X amount of retinue (I think three) they can take a Land Raider.

DarkLink
04-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Yeah, any Inquisitor can take a Land Raider as a dedicated transport. I think, however, they must take a retinue to do so, meaning you couldn't take a lone elite Inquisitor and attach him to a GK squad. Unfortunately:(.