PDA

View Full Version : Wulfen unit rules

wolflold
04-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Hey guys, im playing Space Wolves, and ever since the new codex i think its kind of weird that SW with the Mark of the Wulfen walk along a Grey hunter unit. I think its more realistic that they put together al the Wulfen and let em lose on the battle field. Now in the codex Eye of terror you had the 13th company, and hey had a wulfen unit. I thougt it would be cool to put em back in the wolves codex. Of course i only use this unit with my own "40k gang" and/or special campaigns. But i was just curious what you would think?

Ok the rules:
Troop Choice 0-1

Pts: 20

Ws5 Bs0 Str5 T4 W1 I4 A2 Ld10 Sv3+

Unit: 5-10
Rules: Rending, Fearless, Furious Charge, Rage (cant claim, only Wolf Priest or characters with MotW can join)
Weapons: Teeth, claws (counts as 2 ccw)
Upgrade: Pack leader: 25pts, +1 att, attacks made by the pack leader count as monsterous creature.
Iron Will: If a Wolf Priest joins a pack of Wulfen, the rage rule changes to fleet.

I also was thinking giving them FNP, but that would be overkill and/or to expensive.

Let me know what you think.

musical-fool
04-12-2010, 09:46 AM
20 points...? Typo?

The AKH
04-12-2010, 10:16 AM
At first glance, it appears that all you've done is design a Space Wolf version of the Death Company.

If you look at the way the existing rules for the Mark of the Wulfen work (D6 Attacks, Rending) I think some of your rules are a bit overkill.

For one, I'd suggest you implement the D6 attacks rather than 2. As well, go with S5 OR Furious Charge... because with both, you have a unit of models with 3 S6 Rending attacks on the charge. And for 20 points, that's a little ridiculous. IMO, the pack leader counting as a MC is a bit much. I would suggest something more along these lines...

0-1 Wulfen Pack
Troops

Pts: 110

Ws4 Bs0 Str4 T4 W1 I4 A(D6) Ld10 Sv3+

Unit: 5 Wulfen
Rules: Rending, Fearless, Furious Charge, Rage
Weapons: Two close combat weapons (it's simpler this way)
Iron Will: If a Wolf Priest joins a pack of Wulfen, they may ignore the effects of the Rage rule.
Mark of the Wulfen: A Wulfen Pack may only be joined by characters and Wolf Guard with the Mark of the Wulfen.

wolflold
04-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Oh yeah oops, i ment 20 pts per model. Str 5 and furious charge is overkill indeed. I think ill keep the Ws 5, and then 21 points per extra model, max 10 models. Not sure about the D6 attacks but keeps it random so kind of fun :D. Thanks for the feed back.

Lerra
04-12-2010, 12:40 PM
The revised rules by AHK are closer to the feel of Wulfen, but still a bit underpointed imo. Keep in mind that Grey Hunters with MotW are 30 points a model, and Wulfen Pack have furious charge and fearless on top of that. At 110 points for 5 models, you are striking at I5 S5 with an average of 27.5 rending attacks (MotW gives 1d6+1 attacks per model, plus one for charging or counter-assault). On average, they'll kill 5 marines on the charge before the marines get to swing back.

@Wolflold: Have you looked at the rules for Khorne Beserkers? They are pretty much identical to the squad you posted except they don't have rending or rage. They are 21 points a model and are generally considered to be well-priced.

DarkLink
04-12-2010, 07:17 PM
I'd agree. The AKH's suggested squad should be, maybe, 120pts, I think. The combination of rending, furious charge and the potential for 6 attacks is fairly potent.

I will point out one potential issue. Do you really want to roll a d6 for every single model in the squad, every single assault phase, just to determine how many attacks you get?

I think its more realistic that they put together al the Wulfen and let em lose on the battle field.

GW disagrees with you, and they write the fluff :p.

addamsfamily36
04-12-2010, 07:43 PM
heres my ideas for you

0-1 Wulfen Pack
Troops

Pts: 22 per model

Ws4 Bs0 Str4 T4 W1 I4 A3 Ld10 Sv3+

Unit size 3-10
Rules: Rage,rending,fleet
Weapons: Claws etc counting as 2xclose combat weapons(attacks already included in profile)

No characters may join the unit

Ok reasons for my choices:

-fairly standard stat line (similar to basic marine with increased leadership and attacks) any other increases and points cost per model would have to go up further.

-assault marine is around 18 points in the new BA codex so i added 4 pts for fleet,rending and the +1 attack (this may seem cheap and i was tempted to go with 25 pts per model, but i figured that rending can be hit and miss, and based on the poitns cost of a death company which has same amount of attacks on the charge (with furious charge and fnp at 20pts) I feel as though 22pts is about right.

-weapons obvious

-the no characters thing is to fit in with the wulfen pack idea. i cant see a pack of werewolves waiting around taking orders in the heat of battle or would a chapter send its best commander etc off with a pack of "animals"

there jsut my ideas to fit in with your take on the wulfen

joescalise
04-13-2010, 05:37 AM
At first glance, it appears that all you've done is design a Space Wolf version of the Death Company.

If you look at the way the existing rules for the Mark of the Wulfen work (D6 Attacks, Rending) I think some of your rules are a bit overkill.

For one, I'd suggest you implement the D6 attacks rather than 2. As well, go with S5 OR Furious Charge... because with both, you have a unit of models with 3 S6 Rending attacks on the charge. And for 20 points, that's a little ridiculous. IMO, the pack leader counting as a MC is a bit much. I would suggest something more along these lines...

0-1 Wulfen Pack
Troops

Pts: 110

Ws4 Bs0 Str4 T4 W1 I4 A(D6) Ld10 Sv3+

Unit: 5 Wulfen
Rules: Rending, Fearless, Furious Charge, Rage
Weapons: Two close combat weapons (it's simpler this way)
Iron Will: If a Wolf Priest joins a pack of Wulfen, they may ignore the effects of the Rage rule.
Mark of the Wulfen: A Wulfen Pack may only be joined by characters and Wolf Guard with the Mark of the Wulfen.

very nice, i am going to use these rules.

Bryan Perras
07-31-2013, 01:00 AM
I know this thread is a bit dated but I temporarily lost the data sheet for the Wulfen and in my search to find it, found this thread and after having found my data sheets, thought I'd share my findings. From what I can tell, GW has released 2 sets of rules for the Wulfen. In Codex: Eye of Terror from back in 2003, there was a huge display of Wulfen, tips on how to paint them, etc. Basic rules were as follows:

Wulfen Pack (Elite)

Pts/Model
WS
BS
S
T
W
I
A
Ld
Sv

Wulfen
2+1
3+

Number/Squad 5-15
Special Rules
Animal Rage: Must move normal movement +D6 towards nearest enemy, +D6 bonus not affected by difficult terrain.
Wolf Priest: ONLY a Wolf Priest may join a pack of Wulfen.

Please note those rules are from back in 3rd edition so the standard special rules don't quite add up.

Then later, GW released an insert to their Warhammer 40k: Apocalypse rule book with the formation: Sternhammer's Wulfen Guard.
With these rules, the 'formation' consists of Sternhammer (a Wolf Priest) who can be laid out as any standard wolf priest at the standard cost PLUS an additional 50 points for the 'formation' (but when used with the apocalypse rules, it may be worth it), then 2+ Wolfen Guard Squads.
I'd put the stats up, but essentially a Wulfen Guard Squad is 10 Wulfen for 240 points with the exact same stats (and point-cost) The only difference is the ammended special rules:
Rending, Fleet
Hunters: Flank March Strategic Asset (for apocalypse games), always start in reserve, must enter within 12" of wolf priest.
Animal Rage: if the wolf priest is removed as a casualty, all subsequent movement must be made toward the nearest enemy and assaults must be made if possible.

So, those are the 'official' rules for them and I think they're pretty decent, though maybe a bit expensive by today's standards.