PDA

View Full Version : What AoS factions would you like to see?

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-16-2016, 06:23 PM
Personally I am liking the direction of having new factions based off stuff from older ones a lot more as they seem to be picking the parts I actually like such as Sylvaneth.

Hoping for a focus on the witch elves when it comes to the Aelves. They already have about 4 units between the two kits and a focus on the medusa imagery from the shrine would be really awesome and a bit conan-ish!

Also like to see an undead ethereal faction as I love the swirly ghosts like the spirit host kit, right up my street those!

Seems like the flood doors are open, what factions would you like to see come from the older ones?

Erik Setzer
01-16-2016, 11:19 PM
As ethereals go, there's that starter box with Hexwraiths, Spirit Hosts, and Mortis Engine labeled "Malignants." The latest GW email also had a bit showing Nagash with "The Deathlords Approach!" right above an ad for that box. So they might be their own sub-faction of Undead, also including units like the Morghasts (who are basically spirit warriors), Banshees, and Wraiths. Maybe not all technically ethereal, but certain spirit-themed.

At the very least, you can just theme an army around them, should be viable.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah. So okay, turns out "Deathlords" is the title they gave to the "faction" representing the End Times additions for Undead, and the Spirit Hosts are part of the "Nighthaunt." So I guess the true ethereals are Nighthaunt, and the Morghasts, Mortarchs, and Nagash are Deathlords. But hey, you've got a name for ethereals!

(Kind of wish I'd read the front page story I had open in another tab before posting. :P)

Mr Mystery
01-17-2016, 04:12 AM
I'm keen to see the AoS take on your bog standard humans.

The various short stories show that far more survived the Age of Chaos than was first apparent. There's one city in particular that worships Tyrion, and was still able to field Luminarks.

As much as I'm keen to see the aesthetic, I really want to see how they fit into the background, and whether tephe different realms will offer different perks or flavours.

Kirsten
01-17-2016, 06:12 AM
humans are what I want to see.

I had thought that as far as elves go, we would probably see a much reduced elf army. seeing as the End Times set up the three factions combining, and the armies having so much overlap in terms of units and models. great weapon unit each, halberd unit each etc. but given the way Age of Sigmar is focussing on specific elements of each army, like Sylvaneth, Slayers, etc. I think we will actually see the elves divided on different lines. rather than being dark, high and wood as in 8th, or all together, I think we will see a witch elf faction with witch elves, executioners etc. then for example a Phoenix King style faction with your spears, bows, repeaters etc.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-17-2016, 08:34 AM
You are on team witch elf too then? :D I guess like the fyreslayers are to WHFB Slayers, their culture might be quiet different. Then again the lizardmen range has zero changes (which was kinda boring imo) so I guess it depends.

Yeah, humans might be the most interesting - i never cared for empire or brettonians myself so id be curious to see what new ones would be like. I'd like to see persian or chinese inspired humans myself (from a visual point of view anyway) rather than european inspired humans.

Mr Mystery
01-17-2016, 08:46 AM
I suspect we'll see additions to the range of humans. Got nothing to back that up, it's just a hunch.

Kirsten
01-17-2016, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't say team witch elf exactly, just seems like a probably faction.

humans could separate out along the lines of knights, militia, engineers.

Erik Setzer
01-17-2016, 11:02 AM
The various short stories show that far more survived the Age of Chaos than was first apparent.

I'm not sure the team(s) they have writing AoS background and stories are really communicating well with each other, which could explain why it feels even more disjointed and contradictory than the original Star Wars EU ended up. For instance, I see talk of technological civilizations, but then there's no evidence of that, and you read that there's human civilizations, but then you read a story and it suggests all that's left is an unsustainable group of people. (One story in particular bugged me as it said people were lucky to live past 20, and the young and sick were picked off first as the easiest, which made it hard to see how they could breed fast enough to not already be extinct.)

To have things be interesting, you need those civilizations to exist. Which means at some point they'll have to properly retcon a large part of the core story where it was claimed that Chaos won and drove everyone back and reigned supreme for hundreds of years. You can just explain that off as the history being just oral stories being passed around and not entirely reliable. Maybe it's a cop out, but if it lets you make the story more interesting in the long run and gives you more freedom, why not do it?

If they fix that, I'd look forward to some "technomancers." Proper ones, with something higher than just steampunk. Like close to model level tech, but mixed with magic.

And heck, let's see what Clan Skryre is up to these days, considering they can create warp tunnels, so their technology level, especially after thousands of years, should be pretty advanced. I mean, they were already building beam weapon and a cannon that could blow up the moon. Give them more time, they should have a lot more advanced stuff (even if it's still prone to breaking down, and it has to be, because that's part of the fun of playing Skaven). I think it'd be particularly amusing to see the warp tunnel technology used as a weapon.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-18-2016, 02:44 AM
So you want to see super magically advanced skaven? That could be cool if done right and it does point to them being split into the various clans.

Erik Setzer
01-18-2016, 09:16 AM
So you want to see super magically advanced skaven? That could be cool if done right and it does point to them being split into the various clans.

I suppose their tech would be regarded as "magic," but Skryre was more about using technology to manipulate things, and I'd like to see that pushed to the next level.

Skaven were already capable of being "split," especially with minor additions. IIRC, right now you've got:

Moulder - Masters, Giant Rats, Rat Swarms, Rat Ogres, Hellpit Abominations? (HPA's are largely a Skryre project, too.)
Skryre - Warlock Engineers, Weapon Teams, Jezzails, Stormfiends, Warpfire Cannon, Doomwheel, Poisoned Wind Globadiers.
Eshin - Assassins, Night Runners, Gutter Runners.
Pestilens - Plague Priests, Plague Monks, Plague Censer Bearers, Plague Furnace, Plagueclaw Catapult. (They really could use a thesaurus.)

And, of course, the Grey Seers were their own thing.

Heck, there's even a Verminlord for Pestilens and Eshin (plus a generic fighter, and a Grey Seer themed VL).

Eshin are the ones most in need of fleshing out, but they had an army list in Storm of Chaos, so that could be used for influence. Otherwise, most of them are in solid shape, especially using Clanrats as filler. Pestilens would probably just stay much as they are. Moulder, just give them more beasties (Skaven cavalry on giant rats, because why not?). Skryre, more insane weaponry and some kind of cannon that can rip holes in reality. Maybe even let them "deep strike" units, but with potential for it to go hideously wrong.

Skryre Wish List:

Reality-Ripping Cannon
Deep Striking Troops
Skaven in Mecha-armor (that looks properly shoddy)
Ratling Gun and Warpfire Thrower Packs
Skaven tank

Even more amusing if it looks like a mix of technology levels, like some of them have been bounced around time because of their messing with the Warp, and brought back stuff they didn't understand.

Mr Mystery
01-18-2016, 11:32 AM
I'm hoping the further breakdown of factions leads to people playing the game at lots of different sizes.

As much as I love (note present tense!) my large scale 8th Ed battles, I also appreciate much smaller games.

From a 'Getting Started' point of view lots of smaller factions helps to deal with the illusion the game is all about grand scale battles.

Let's take Bloodbound and Fyreslayers. They're both comprised of relatively limited unit choice, but also part of larger factions. Three, perhaps four boxes for each and you've got a battle ready force - especially if they expand the rather excellent Getting Started sets. Whilst their smaller selection means I'd be unlikely to do big collections of them, that option is still there once you take into account of the other forces that comprise their race.

So to see Aelves etc all broken down similarly has a real appeal, at least to me.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-18-2016, 12:54 PM
Yep, I think the focus will be on small limited armies that are intended to all ally together into "great alliance" armies. Encourages customers to buy new stuff cos they can add it to their existing army. Personally I am glad GW seem to have more focus on new armies (in both games) as for a long while I was bored sh1tless seeing the same armies recycled over and over (even ones I collected) so it's nice to see some new armies come out every year alongside the existing ones. I'm guessing ones that will become popular enough will be expanded on in the future anyway and if not, well at least they'll exist in an all-plastic form albeit limited.

grimmas
01-19-2016, 04:23 PM
I like the idea of factions within a larger grand alliance. It fits well with the background of the game with most forces being a confederation of races/species/factions fighting together through common cause or because of pacts and deals with each generally being self serving it's just that their goals coincide. This is especially prominent with the chaos factions and I'm very excited to see how it plays out in the fourth coming grand alliance book. I want to see (and it look like this will occur) as many factions are there groups within the chaos forces with separate factions for each God, dragon ogres, beast men, Minotaurs and each skaven major clan and all the rest.

I also like how they've split the Sylvaneth and wood elves this of course fits with the current AoS background but it also makes sense with the Old World as they were an alliance rather than truly together.

I'd also like to see that synergies of units remain at there best between units of the same faction again to add the feeling that these are all separate parts of a whole rather than a single entity. The use of factions in this way seems to sit very well with how things function from a background perspective.

Morgrim
01-20-2016, 09:18 AM
I think it would be interesting to see a combined vampire-and-human faction. The fluff already hints that such exist and there have to be some smart vampires who quite LIKE having living food sources around that are willing to offer their veins in exchange for protection from all of the nasties running about. And it'd give an excuse to see some 'normal' humans in the setting. Heck, you could bring back the Bretonian peasant units that way.

Mr Mystery
01-20-2016, 09:24 AM
There is that.

I can recommend 'Sands of Blood' for that.

Perhaps oddly, I finding the individual realms more cohesive than The Old World and it's various realms and interactions.

grimmas
01-21-2016, 05:19 AM
Oh I forgot ORCs bleeding orcs. At one time along side Ultramarines they were considered GWs most recognisable product, which is why they were always a very early book release with each new edition. Whee the devil are they. I'd like to see distinct factions for, Black, Savage and "standard" orcs and a separate goblin faction maybe forest, common and night. At the very least I'd settle for separate Orc and Goblin factions I know that they are both greenskins but in WFB they were separate faces rather than the symbiotic like thing they have in 40K.

Mr Mystery
01-21-2016, 05:25 AM
They're there!

They have a cameo in the free e-short released on Monday.

Other things I want to see......

More limited Factions, along the lines of Fimir et al.

Early Warhammer had all sorts of oddities knocking about, as did Rogue Trader. As the games expanded, they focussed on the big players (understandable - finite production facilities etc), and these little guys fell by the way side.

AoS seems an opportune time to bring big such things, as Factions and the freedom to field whatevs means they can be any size. Archaon's book for instance has just two units other than the man himself :)

I'd love 'Beasts of the Realms' type books. One for Ghur, one for Azyr etc. If your game is set there, any beast detailed in the relevant Realm Book is fair game for inclusion. Just adds a bit of flavour, no?

grimmas
01-21-2016, 05:43 AM
Good stuff I downloaded it but haven't got round to it sooooo much reading 😊

Fimir?

You are right there is plenty of stuff that has fallen by he way side. Hobgoblins are another that spring to mind. Destruction and Death do seem to be a little light as far as factions go at the moment, still early days. AoS does very much feel the same as Rogue Trader did with it developing and evolving with each new release.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-21-2016, 05:56 AM
Fimir : http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Fimir-Warriors

Yeah, everything has been Chaos or Order for AoS so far. I am very curious about the Death and Destruction factions. If Chaos can get 21 factions then it opens the floodgates for variety when it comes to the rest..

Mr Mystery
01-21-2016, 06:19 AM
Yup.

And I want to see lots of wild beasts in Destruction. Oggors use them, as do Orruks. Just give us wild versions. With things wide open, I'd love do an army consisting of say, four or five Amber Wizards, and their attendant, riderless beasties.

I don't know it would be a great deal of fun for my opponents to play on a regular basis, but the army would like stunning.

eldargal
01-21-2016, 06:26 AM
Spin off the Witch Elves as their own army.

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-21-2016, 08:34 AM
Spin off the Witch Elves as their own army.

Team witch elf FTW!

I want them to have more of the Medusa stuff, I love that Bloodwrack medusa. Witch-elf infantry with snake lower bodies ect. They need heroes too, but otherwise they almost have enough models so it wouldn't take that much work I'd think.

Mr Mystery
01-21-2016, 03:16 PM
Darnok over on Warseer has rumoured the three other factions will be getting their multi book before long.

I hope so. I'm desperate to see what's what!

Brakkart
01-21-2016, 07:17 PM
Having just taken the AoS plunge by investing in a force of Savage Orruks I am very curious to see what cool new stuff the Destruction forces will get eventually, especially the Bonesplitta's (Savages) faction. Content to wait a while though, got a fair few things to assemble and paint in the meantime, including a Forgeworld Rogue Idol which I'm gonna use as a Giant.

Mr Mystery
01-22-2016, 07:00 AM
Wish I hadn't had to sell my Rogue Idol :( it's a fantastic piece!

I'm hoping we'll see more Forest Gobbos - indeed, just more Gobbos.

Speaking of which, I'm fairly certain I've still got two Arachnarok crews on sprue knocking about. Free to a good home (spiders long since converted and sold on)

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-22-2016, 09:44 AM
Wish I hadn't had to sell my Rogue Idol :( it's a fantastic piece!

I'm hoping we'll see more Forest Gobbos - indeed, just more Gobbos.

Speaking of which, I'm fairly certain I've still got two Arachnarok crews on sprue knocking about. Free to a good home (spiders long since converted and sold on)

psst, screw the Arachnarok, I got the real thing...and she wins battles for me even, the opponents just end up leaving and running away out of terror ;)

malisteen
01-29-2016, 09:05 AM
As a Death player, there are a few individual unit and character concepts I'd like to see get rules and models, but on a faction scale, I think Undead are already well served by the current selections of boney, ghosty, fleshy, rotting, blood-sucking, tissue-wrapped, and stone-carved subdivisions within the existing Vamp Counts and Tomb Kings compendiums.

As such, when it comes time to add new factions to the Death alliance, I'd be more interested in seeing in the living residents Shyish, grim-natured, Nagash-worshipping human, elven, dwarven, or even halfling civilizations founded by Nagash's various mortarchs in the image of their lost homelands from the old world. Dour warriors who fight shoulder to shoulder with the undead, perhaps even automatically rising as zombies when slain. Warriors who battle against chaos, but who hate Sigmar for abandoning the people of the realms, and instead give their allegiance to those Deathlords who stayed behind to protect their mortal subjects/livestock.