PDA

View Full Version : Games Workshop fails to weave its magic at Christmas

Asymmetrical Xeno
01-10-2016, 02:45 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jan/08/games-workshop-fails-weave-christmas-magic

Haighus
01-10-2016, 03:00 PM
The article doesn't include any analysis, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was due to the Star Wars release sucking up lots of people's cash.

Mr Mystery
01-10-2016, 03:40 PM
UK High Street as a whole had a tough Christmas.

Many of the big stores started their January sales entirely the wrong side of Christmas.

CoffeeGrunt
01-10-2016, 04:05 PM
Our local store had a tough time all-round. Christmas is expensive, I didn't buy anything that month because my money was put into Christmas prezzies, New Years Eve, Christmas dinner with work, etc, etc. December's just a pricey month.

Plus money's tight for a lot of people right now, and I know most are having to really weigh up what to spend their wonga on. I mean, the new Massive ships for Halo landed at the end of November, so what little hobby budget I had went towards getting myself the CAS Assault Carrier.

Erik Setzer
01-11-2016, 12:08 PM
Money being spent on Christmas presents would, in theory, help them, because people might buy GW stuff for their friend or family member who plays/collects GW.

But that money is being directed elsewhere. My friend got me a CR-90 for X-Wing instead of anything GW related. I did buy something GW-related myself for Christmas, a set of Harlequins for my brother, who I'm not sure even plays the game right now (he still doesn't have the new Eldar codex).

CoffeeGrunt
01-12-2016, 03:53 AM
Money being spent on Christmas presents would, in theory, help them, because people might buy GW stuff for their friend or family member who plays/collects GW.

But that money is being directed elsewhere. My friend got me a CR-90 for X-Wing instead of anything GW related. I did buy something GW-related myself for Christmas, a set of Harlequins for my brother, who I'm not sure even plays the game right now (he still doesn't have the new Eldar codex).

To be fair, I'm not sure I know of anyone who got anything hobby related for Christmas.

Mr Mystery
01-12-2016, 04:02 AM
I got myself a pair of X-Wing Assault Carriers, if that counts?

AoS group on FB showed a great many AoS related Chrimbo pressies.

eldargal
01-12-2016, 04:55 AM
The article doesn't include any analysis, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was due to the Star Wars release sucking up lots of people's cash.

That was my first thought too. It's basically been the month of Star Wars.

CoffeeGrunt
01-12-2016, 05:01 AM
And Fallout 4. Let's face it, between the two and Christmas itself, who has even had time for hobby? :P

Path Walker
01-12-2016, 05:43 AM
Its also the first Christmas when "current gen" consoles were at the generally affordable Christmas present level

Psychosplodge
01-12-2016, 07:58 AM
To be fair, I'm not sure I know of anyone who got anything hobby related for Christmas.

I got a stormeagle :D

- - - Updated - - -

Its also the first Christmas when "current gen" consoles were at the generally affordable Christmas present level

And a wii u :D

Erik Setzer
01-12-2016, 10:10 AM
I wasn't counting money spent on myself, but during December I did pounce on Christmas sales to add more to my X-Wing collection. Got the new starter box (new ships and the new damage deck), another T-70, Rebel Aces, A-Wing, B-Wing, Y-Wing, Z-95, YT-2400, YT-1300, and GR-75. Also an extra CR-90 and Nebulon-B for Armada (still need to get MC-80 and a pair of MC-30s, especially with a regular Armada group starting up). I also snagged the rulebooks for Kings of War and Frostgrave, though not on sale, but at $40 and $25 they didn't need to be. Oh, and the KoW expansion book with extra armies.

Not really much on video games. Fallout 4, of course. Got Battlefront when it dropped to 40% off (refused to pay full price for it). Witcher III at half price. NBA 2K16 at 40% off. Some various stuff on Steam that was on sale, and Humble Bundles. Actually, that was all computer games, too. Non-PC games, didn't buy any during the holiday season, but when I got paid the week before last I grabbed Disney Infinity 3.0 and some extra Star Wars characters (Kylo Ren, Poe Dameron, Darth Vader, Twilight of the Republic playset).

In all of those cases, I have a lot more people to play them with (except single-player games) than I do GW games. But even the single-player games have their role, because when I come home at night and need to unwind, it helps being able to just slaughter raiders, pretend to be an NBA star, or hack up Stormtroopers with a lightsaber.

Psychosplodge
01-12-2016, 10:20 AM
Oh money I spent on myself would add a small ork kult of speed. because I don't already have enough grey plastic :rolleyes:

Erik Setzer
01-12-2016, 02:17 PM
If Betrayal at Calth counts, I have two boxes' worth of that sitting on my desk. But I don't have that much grey plastic otherwise.

Mostly because the majority of my backlog projects are at least primed... (Skaven additions from End Times, Khorne Daemons and Marines, Space Wolves army, more Orks, Ogre Kingdoms army, some Harlequins, a box of Malifaux models...)

But hey, it's good to keep a backlog around.

http://bucksurdu.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/LarryLeadhead_HeartAttack.jpg

Psychosplodge
01-13-2016, 02:33 AM
But hey, it's good to keep a backlog around.

http://bucksurdu.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/LarryLeadhead_HeartAttack.jpg

lols